1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets vs. Spurs: Breaking Down the Game 1 Beatdown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 2, 2017.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very nice article. I love how he mentions Beverley and what he says. He's exactly right that Patrick didn't fill up the stat sheet, but still had a fantastic game and played a significant role in the victory.

The gifs start out choppy but get smoother the longer I stayed on the page reading. When I scrolled down they would get a little choppy again but that's to be expected.

DonKnock likes this.
  2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He can't guard him all game. They're so dependent on him now offensively that he'd be exhausted by the 4th quarter(much like Westbrook in the first round). A couple years ago, that might've worked since Parker was still in the tail end of his prime and Manu wasn't completely washed up. Now though Kawhi is their primary ballhandler and playmaker.

BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

You know what's unfair?

That people continue to doubt that this team is capable of playing defense :p

Nook and BigMaloe like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You're right about that. Remember that game well. Yao dominated that first half and went on to dominate that series.

Eerily enough, in that 08/09 Blazers game 1 the score after the first quarters was 34 to 23. In the game last night the score after the first quarter was 34 to 23. The Rockets won that Blazers game 108 to 91, a 27 point win. The Rockets won last night 126 to 99, a 27 point win.

Spooky! Rockets won that series in 6. I'll take that, but sooner would be better... also, more than happy to not repeat ultimately what happened that postseason... basically ended Yao's career, playing only 5 games after that postseason the rest of his career.

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

It is feasible only if the Spurs can get enough scoring from the other players on the floor.... and unless LMA goes off and the Spurs role players hit 3's; it isn't likely.

6. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Personally, I was stunned. I figured we were doomed when Barkley picked us to win.

Williamson likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

even if Kawhi guards Harden all game (he won't), the Rockets can just force a switch by running 1/4 PnR relentlessly

as long as the Spurs continue to trot out 2 big lineups featuring a combo of Gasol, Lee, or LMA the Rockets will continue to get great looks

BigMaloe and DonKnock like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Spurs were -27 last night when Westbrook wasn't on the court, clearly that was the biggest factor in the Rockets win.

Deuce, Williamson, arubato and 8 others like this.
  9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

There were several times last night that Gordon, Beverley, Ariza, and Williams created opportunities for others by driving off of Harden's kick outs.

Producing 30 assist against the number one defense. HOLY shiet, please tell me they figured it out.

I made a comment earlier today, but DanToni looks much more invested this series as does the Rockets.

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Honestly , depending on how game 2 goes . The Spurs might decide to stick harden on kawhi and do a flow/ post up offense that uses gasol and Aldridge ..

Yeah we have counters to that , but it might be worth it lol .

Of course they could shoot great in game 2 and we could miss ... It happened to us vs OKC

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If they want to keep playing that big lineup then they wont make it past 5 games.

DonKnock likes this.
  12. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Good stuff. I want as much Rockets content as I can get today

DonKnock likes this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Clutchfans conspiracy.

JK, the score was actually 108 to 81. So I agree, very eerie.

14. dlite316

dlite316 Member

Great read. Game one was perfect offensively and defensively. But we cannot get complacent, come out with energy and defend with intensity. Take game 2!

saleem likes this.
  15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Is that the same lamarcus Aldridge that killed us in Portland? This guy looks like him but is washed up. Even when Duncan looked old he was still so damned good. This guy ain't either of them lol

Kawhi gonna have to guard harden all game long and hope green and lee or manu or someone else has a big game. Short of rockets just bricking a whole game away....right now it's hard to imagine the Spurs winning two games this series.

17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Lmao

DonKnock likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this game was about defense and not having excessive turnovers.

Even if we shoot the 3 ball at 30% and overall 40% - we still win this game. This wasn't as much about making shots as just playing very smart basketball.

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. don grahamleone

Sometimes when you lose, you really win. And sometimes when you win, you really lose.

Lost out on Aldridge, got Nene instead. Score!

20. don grahamleone

I agree, but I will add that our defensive positioning is much better after a made shot. If we're hitting shots, it feels like we're unbeatable.