1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets trade Lowry, stay focused on Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 6, 2012.

1. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

I think this is what Morey has wanted to do all along but finally got the go ahead from Les. We are finally in a true rebuilding stage. Now we need to bring in young talent or get Howard. I love lowry's game but like clutch said he will never bring us a championship and that is what we are after.

2. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

OJ Mayo
    Jeremy Lamb/ Gary Forbes
    Chandler Parsons/ Royce White
    *Josh Smith/ Donatas Motiejunas/ Terrence Jones
    Omer Asik/ *Zaza Pechulia/ Greg Smith

*Send Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, Patrick Patterson, Picks to ATL for Josh Smith, Zaza Pechulia

3. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I was all for Dwight.. until now.. We don't have a roster to convince him to stay. And I'm excited about some of our young prospects so I don't want to see them lost..

1 person likes this.
  4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Good write up, and I agree. I don't think it excuses the draft day debacle, though. Just as you said about the trade value of Lowry vs a lottery pick, the trade value of our 3 picks went down once they were used to select players. I wish Morey had a back up plan to trade out of those picks in return for future ones.

And if he was going to use them and remained dead set on bringing hom Dwight....why not draft the biggest guys on the board? Wouldn't Orlando want bigs in return to fill the void?

We'll see what happens. As far as I'm concerned, it's Howard or a DOA season.

If they trade Bynum, he's going to Orlando, not here.

5. JohnQ

JohnQ Member

if we land DH and he doesnt stay, will he be a RFA or UFA?

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I wasn't trying to imply anything else, I'm just wondering if LA will actually pull the trigger for Dwight.

7. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

I didnt know Morey needed an excuse for that one. He had no control whatsoever on who CHA would pick. MKG getting picked at #2 really came out of nowhere and thus Robinson fell to #5 to the Kings - killing our trade-up chances.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

They're adding too many players. You can only play 5 at a time. They still only have one superstar. Unless they get close to the finals, CP may realize he needs someone like Dwight.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Morey/Les has finally seen the light - that getting a Gasol or Smith will not bring us anything more than we already haven't had. That free agents don't want to come to a city to rebuild, they want to come to a city to win. THe only guys who will go through the pain that eventually builds a champion are guys under 25 years of age.

Howard is not coming here. No one is coming here. Trade Scola and Martin for a box of Cracker Jack and a Matt Maloney rookie card, and we can start talking about who the number one pick is going to be next year!

1 person likes this.
  10. Asian Sensation

The more I think about it the more I LOVE THIS TRADE TOO.

We don't know for sure if Dwight will jump ship which seems to be the majority of the boards concern if we do in fact land Dwight. Once we land Dwight you have to believe that Morry is targeting other players that he could add before the trade deadline once the season starts. I highly doubt Morry is content on just adding Dwight and act as if his job is complete. However, once you get a player as dominant as Dwight in place the rest of the pieces are much easier to add.

The key is to get Dwight here first. I have all the faith in the world that Dork Elvis will make it happen.

For all the naysayers about us getting Dwight here's a little positive reinforcement to give you guys some hope. Every single year leading up to the Trade Deadline there's always guys that don't fit with their current team, teams struggle and decide to blow it up and go a different direction, superstars ask (demand) a trade etc.

A few examples:

1) Deron Williams forces his way out of Utah for young assets with potential from NJ.

2) The blockbuster 3 team Melo trade.

3) 76ers trade Theo Ratliff and fillers to Atlanta for Deke + Fillers. When 76ers got Deke he helped propel them to the NBA Finals.

4) Detroit Pistons got Rasheed Wallace and went on to win the Championship

5) Lakers got Pau Gasol for nothing at the time (Marc is pretty good now though) and went on to win the Championship.

6) Who could forget us getting Clyde Drexler for Otis Thorpe and going on to win the Championship.

Of course the first two trades I mentioned didn't produce immediate success but I listed them as examples because Superstars DO get traded at the last minute before the deadline.

Lets get Dwight here and then see what pieces Morry can surround Dwight with. If we get Dwight and Morry adds some nice pieces around Dwight and we make a deep playoff run and have cap space left over for the summer of 2013 I don't see why Dwight wouldn't strongly consider signing an extension.

Lets get Dwight here and see what happens.

1 person likes this.
  11. Asian Sensation

I was in the same boat as you too... but please see my post above.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That's not necessarily a good thing. If a plan is dependent on too many factors, it only takes one small thing going wrong to blow the whole thing up. Sometimes simpler is better.

13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I am also a fan of this trade, however, I do not agree on 10-15 point guards being in front of Kyle. Remember, Kyle when healthy and playing high minutes under pressure performs the best. He is easily a top 10 PG in this league and I would bet during a playoff run for a great team, he would be a top 5 PG.

The thing about this trade is that it gives us a chance on Howard or a hopeful top 10 pick next year. I think we might even keep it if we don't land Dwight. On top of that getting a top 10 PG is easier nowadays than a top 5 Center, which is for us the most important thing right now.

Like you said, I love this trade, but I will miss Kyle.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I keep reading Howard isn't coming here. Why not?

I understand he doesn't want to come here and he's probably not going to stick around, but Dwight doesnt make the decisions. They no longer have to cater to him, since there's really no chance of keeping him. There's no way Brooklyn, Dallas, or Atlanta make better offers. It's down to Houston and LA.

Unless y'all are saying the new GM lacks the goods to do the big balls dance, there's no reason why Houston still doesn't have a solid shot at landing Howard.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I keep wondering if there is a Plan B between Howard and Josh Smith.

16. inowsingle

inowsingle Member

hi clutch, i am fm china and agree with u for this trade after reading ur article. Especially for this sentence "What the Rockets did here was trade a $25 Macy’s gift card for $50 cash, which can be used anywhere. What they got for Lowry is a stronger, more flexible trade asset than Lowry himself, and the Rockets right now are in the business of trades."

just two question,
    1. Goran Dragic is pretty good and why rockets give up this guy just about the fourth year's player option ? only 8 million a year difference , come on , dragic deserve it especially when other teams pursue him strongly . now phoenix get him with a 4 years 30 million and ours is 3 years 24/25 million, what the **** ?!!! forgive me , but i really don't think it's a big difference , rockets should raise their contract to keep dragic . it disappointed lots of chinese fans

2. do u know any plan for lee ? now seems NY will match the contract rockets gave to lin, so rockets hv enough salary room to keep lee . the guy is quite solid and diligent

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I love the trade as long as we keep the pick.

I'm over trying to get Howard. My fear is that all these moves we're making are going to make the magic a great team in 3 or 4 years if we end up renting Howard for a year.

Incidentally, I finally went to Yao's restaurant before the =VH= concert a few weeks ago. The food was okay but the service was TERRIBLE. We were there an hour and probably saw our waiter twice the whole time - once to bring the food and once to bring the check. We kept motioning to him that our drinks were empty and he would just say "food is almost ready!" and keep walking. :confused: We finally had to go to the bar to get our own drinks. First time in my entire life I didn't leave a tip for a waiter.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Like the draft? ;)

19. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

Couldn't have said it better than that!!..I would actually be very surprised if we don't get Dwight...I think every move morey makes is to get a.superstar like him....and I loved the trade too for Lowry...Orlando wants young talent with upside which would be a lotto pick..not Lowry....I'm just waiting to log on to clutchfans and see the board blow up when we get Howard....

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Gold!