1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets Still Have "Room" For Improvement

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Feb 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Granger and Butler make sense.
    maybe Richard Jefferson too.
    all capable 3+D swing men, maybe damaged good but cost nothing

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Thanks, Bima. Great stuff.

A backup 2/3 makes the most sense as far as a need on paper goes, but a player like Granger could come in and essentially take Casspi's minutes and give us the "experienced veteran" and floor spacer our bench kind of needs. This would be the better move, IMO.

Given how up-and-down Casspi has been, a proven force in our 8-man rotation as simple as this could make a world of difference. At the very least, the law of averages suggests Granger's shooting percentages will only go up (especially with the potential open looks he would receive here if Dwight keeps beasting it).

I'm still worried about that "Oh f***" feeling you get from time-to-time when watching TJ, Casspi and D-Mo man the four spot. There have been quite a few times this season (last night included) where TJ simply looks in over his head. A veteran 3/4 that could come off of the bench and stabilize things would be nice.

I'm also interested in Jason Terry. A need that we kind of overlooked (or challenged our current group to improve) is the need for improved shooting from distance. As a team, we don't shoot the ball well enough for as many 3-pt shots as we take. Terry is a career 40% postseason shooter from distance.

Others that might be useful if bought out: Caron Butler, Richard Jefferson

4. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

You remind me dude. Now, i've gotta check all the usual hiding plaves i have for spare cash. Lol

This post is awesome!

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'm most interested in Caron Butler then Granger. I think Granger has the potential to help us the most "if healthy" but I'm not sure he's worth taking that chance for. Butler will immediately fill that Delfino role from last season for us with sold defense to boot.

6. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Great point. Granger, if provided the 15 limited minutes of Casspi, would at the bare minimum give you exactly the same performance, but offer the potential to perform at a much higher level. I'd also feel much more comfortable come playoffs, when the rotation presumably will shrink to 8, running with Lin/Asik/Granger off the bench rather than Lin/Asik/Garcia or Lin/Asik/DMo.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

There's a great story about Caron Butler you can watch in the NBA thread. Milwaukee is his home and I would be surprised if the Bucks bought him out. Would be a messed up move.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bring on Danny Granger or Big Baby

9. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Yep, biggest room for improvement is the coaching (especially in-game). Can trade McHale like the Celtics tried to do with doc rivers? Or just dump him now so we can get serious about a championship run earlier. No point in waiting until we bomb out of the 1st or 2nd round.

10. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

Ben Gordon please

11. cebu

cebu Member

I agree on this one 100%

12. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Metta world peace just tweeted his getting bought out by Knicks. I think this is what we need. He defense is good this is who we need to get

13. basketballholic

I think that could be an interesting move. MWP at this stage of his career is a PF. Playoff proven and battle tested. I can see Morey (and several other GMs) going after him.

14. htown1984

htown1984 Member

And can occasionally shoot the three. I think he's good friends with dwight so I'm calling it. He sign with rockets

15. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Who do we cut at this point to sign a buyout player?

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Daniels if he can't cut it, or the injured Smith I guess.

17. basketballholic

Either Casspi or Smith. However if we wait a few games and Hamilton doesn't show something then he might be cut before the others. Daniels will not be cut.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

2014/15?

C -Howard ($21.4)/ Asik ($8)
    PF -Jones ($1.6)/ DMo ($1.5)/ Covington ($800)
    SF -Parsons ($1)/ Garcia ($1.3)/ Covington
    SG -Harden ($14.7)/ Lin ($8)/ Daniels ($800)
    PG -Beverley ($1)/ Lin/ Canaan ($800)

Hamilton, Greg Smith, and Casspi gone. Three open spots, two draft picks, and enough cap room for one minimum contract or the mid level exception worth $5.6 mil. If we make no moves (other than exercising the option on Daniels) is this basically how we look going into next year?

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One thing to note: the room exception can be used on a 2 yr deal. Could be useful in either a guy we want next season or to give additional security for a guy we really want.

20. basketballholic

The white elephant in the room here is PAU GASOL.

Lakers are most likely going to release Jordan Hill who will immediately be picked up by either Phoenix or Brooklyn. That will leave them about $1.8 million short of being out of the luxury tax. Only one guy on their roster gets them there realistically. That being buying out Pau.

Pau is the one guy that could single-handedly make a champion. If he were waived and signed with any of Miami, OKC, LAC, HOU (and possibly even a couple other WC teams) he could change the course of the playoffs and championship.