1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets Fans Can Give Thanks For The Things That Went Wrong

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 22, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah, even though Kevin Martin was the most prominent asset they received, I agree he's wasn't the real target.

We'll see how much the Thunder actually values Martin with the contract they offer him this offseason.

2. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

I in particular hated the trade, and knew damn well what was coming. I couldnt believe how many people were upset about not getting gasol and nene.

I was on the vocal minority at the time, but this board and Rox fans seemed to be more upset that at the time, the team looked like a roster full of bench players, with no A-Grade star. People were just hungry to have any star on this team, even if it was an old soft gasol.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'll give you a dark horse candidate to outbid OKC for Kevin Martin's services(and give him a starting role).... The Clippers.

They have great cap flexibility this Summer to both resign Chris Paul to the max, and still have roughly 10 to 13 million in cap space to play with assuming the cap is set at 60/70. They could probably bring back almost exactly the same team next year, and offer Martin a very nice contract.

The Thunder already have 66 million committed next season. I think Kevin Martin is worth more than what they are going to offer him... which will probably be low MLE type of money.

I think Martin would be smart to see what the Clippers have to offer in free agency next Summer even though Im sure he can't complain too much about competing for a title for years in OKC.

I think Martin still is an elite score in the NBA, and isn't being fully utilized with the Thunder. However, he still fits in that role very nicely.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Good point. And may the great Stern on high keep all Laker rejects off our team!

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have a difficult time that the Thunder...a team competing for the championship a year after winning the Western Conference...was going to move Harden without getting an all star caliber type player in return for their rotation this season. I don't think a draft pick the following year was gonna be enough.

6. larry cook

larry cook Member

Thanks Stern, its lookin like your Lakers are starting to bite the bullet on this one.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Did everyone forget how amazing Pau Gasol was before the start of this season in the Olympics?

I'm sure that if we had to throw in a player in the deal, OKC would be more than willing to do a Harden and Gasol swap.

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

doubtful they'd have wanted to pay Gasol's huge contract... they shipped Harden cause they didn't want to pay him....

As for original post, yeh.... I was thankful the second Stern killed the deal (contrary to many who were b****in up a storm here...). I always said Gasol's contract was pure poison - esp for a player in the decline....

9. MadMax

yeah, i doubt it. that trade was about money...they weren't going to take on that kind of a contract.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

They were already offering Harden a big contract, and if Pau Gasol was available that makes Perkins expendable.

Since we would still have our amnesty option available, I don't see why we can't take on Perkin's contract and amnesty him if necessary.

11. hali

hali Member

And we use NY pick on Royce White.

Nene and Okafor anchor Wizzard's defense into top layer as today. No reason to believe he will not get the similar result with Gasol. Even assume Gasol is out as now, but that team Lowry + Nene + Gasol + Parson + Lee + ... will be much clsoe to playoff middle tier than fighting for playoff.

You will still get Tornoto's pick, Lamb, so get Harden probably is depend on if OKC see Lee as good scoring 6 man or not.

So this year will be Harden + Nene + Gasol and devloped PF since Gasol is out this year) + Parson + whoever you get as pg. You probably will not get Asik and Lin and going to pay tax starting from next year. But that is not a bad combination.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

While a lot of us noticed, and Clutch wrote a cool piece about it...I think we can all collectively say....

WHEW !!!!

DD

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They weren't willing to give harden a max contract. Gasol makes 20 mil a year. I don't see how they would take it on. As we see now, I think Kmart was a big part of the deal, and we wouldn't have had him to trade. Nene is just a bad contract.

14. MadMax

This seems ridiculously clear to me, but obviously there are arguments countering it.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We don't have to speculate.

Morey flat out said they could still get the deal done.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

They weren't willing to give Harden the max contract because they didn't think he was a max contract player.

If OKC knew Harden was this good today do you honestly think they wouldn't throw a max at him?

This wasn't some blatant cost cutting move, amnestying Perkins would allow them to comfortably keep their core. This is what they valued Harden at and didn't think he was worth a bigger contract, or at least thought Perkins was less expendable than Harden.

Also, whether K-Mart was a big part of the deal depends on the offer they will give him this summer.

17. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Gasol would likely net us Harden+Perkins, and we can save our picks for other trades(Like using the toronto pick to unload Perkins' contract off the book).

Also Lin wouldn't be waived, and he would be resigned on cheap had the Gasol deal went through.

I'm glad where we are now, but I believe Morey would be able to figure it out anyway.

18. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

If you don't love Stern, you're not a Rockets fan

If not for David Stern, the Rockets would not have James Harden nor Dwight Howard. We would have an old Pau Gasol and God knows who else.

People are giving Morey too much credit, when the credit should all go to Stern for nixing that horrible trade Morey tried to make.

Howard's move reveals a new world to Rockets, Lakers

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/featur...d-stevens-feature/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt3b

1 person likes this.
  19. HipHopSince1981

"Basketball Reasons" helped turn our franchise around

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

And to think I was so upset when "basketball reasons" happened. Now I'm like :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: