1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets can not trade their 2011 first round draft pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 7, 2011.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I personally would LOVE to see the Ted Stepien Rule revoked, especially since the Rockets have a smarter GM and owner than most other NBA teams.

The Stepien rule was put in place so that owners could avoid their own incompetence. And judging by some of the trades I see out there recently, I don't know if owners have gotten appreciably more shrewd since ol' Ted's day.

And if you hate the Stepien rule, then you're not going to like the new CBA. My guess is that there are similar types of rules put in place to save the owners from themselves. I mean, that's what the luxury tax really is, isn't it? And I wouldn't be surprised to see the luxury tax get even MORE restrictive.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

YOu could argue it both ways, e.g. that the more restrictions there are on trading, the harder it is to find another party to assume a bad contract. Or alternative you could argue that a lower rookie wage scale will make first round picks more valuable and thus less likely to be traded, thus obviating the need for the rule. Unclear, obviously, how any of this will end up.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

How hard do you think it is going to be to turn that Clippers pick into a first rounder. Just offer Phoenix $3 million and the Clips second rounder for Orlando's first rounder in 2011. Done.

How about this trade: Biedrins/Gadzuric and the rights to swap our 2011 pick swap pick with Golden State's 2011 first round pick for Yao.

4. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Honestly, I'm not sure I would want to do that (Yao) deal. The Warriors will likely end up with a pick at about #8 or #9. The Rockets are probably going to pick in the #12 to #16 range (hopefully #15 or worse). Trading Yao's Bird rights (I know, some of you could care less about those!), the insurance payout, taking back a large, long-term contract (Biedrins) and a terrible expiring (Gadzuric) - all for the right to likely move up no more than 4-5 spots and still not even get a top-3 pick - I just don't see it. Plus, you know GSW is going to want SOME protection on any pick swap, so I doubt the Rockets would get the benefit if the Warriors won the lottery, anyway.

On the trade-up option, though, you bring up a good point. I don't even think it would take that much cash to do it, either.

The Spurs may not want to help out a division rival, but their front office is savvy enough to find the value in trading down from the #27-30 range to the #34-37 range and to pick up another asset (cash? a 2014 second rounder?) in the process.

On the other hand, very few teams--even the Spurs, Mavs or Celtics--would be extremely willing to give up their UNCONDITIONAL first round pick. Remember, the Rockets would need this pick no later than February 24. A lot of stuff can happen between then (or earlier, if the Rockets have to pull the trigger well before the deadline) and the end of the regular season. Injuries happen. A pick that LOOKS like it will be around #27 could quickly turn into the #20 pick. That's a very big difference for most GMs. Hence, getting someone to cough up such a pick is not as easy as it sounds.

But good idea nonetheless, jopatmc. One, I'm sure, that will be considered by the Rockets' front office.

1 person likes this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I also think it should be revoked. Honestly, in Stepien's day, managers were not nearly as professional and sophisticated as they are now. I think this is one stupidity that no longer needs to be protected against.

But, I also wouldn't characterize the luxury tax as the same sort of protection as the Stepien rule. The luxury tax discourages a systemic problem that makes owners who want to win spend more -- an arms race. The Stepien rule simply protects against an idiosyncratic risk of a GM being an idiot. The idiosyncratic protections don't need to be there, but systemic manipulations to keep the playing field even (arguably) do.

I wouldn't think this would be hard to get around. Something like: 2011 Clippers 2nd rounder for their unconditional late first rounder. But, if it ends up being better than, say, #23, trigger an additional payment, like an option to swap future picks.

6. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I don't think that's allowed. I think you can only "change compensation" when a pick is incapable of being conveyed (such as when a lottery-protected pick is not conveyed by a certain year, it may become two second rounder or maybe cash instead).

For instance, I (incorrectly) posted a while back that the Rockets could possibly offer to trade their lottery-protected 2011 first round pick but that, if the Rockets were in the lottery, the obligation switched to the Knicks' 2012 draft pick obligation. I was later informed by someone more aware of the draft pick trade rules than me that this was not allowed by the league.

7. SunsRocketsfan

did you have to remind us of the Rudy Gay pick again? :(

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. Seems weird to me, but okay.

I think all he was saying is that trading right after the draft is effectively the
    same thing. Of course, trading right after the draft is not remotely the same as trading before the trade deadline, which you addressed, but I didn't think Dubious was even going there.

9. BullRider

BullRider Member

AOL fanhouse shouted out to clutchfans for this article today.

***Link***