1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets are throwing an awesome House Party, but how long will it last?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Mar 16, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

House does have a non-bird option of just north of $2 million. He could sign a 4 year deal for around $8.6 million (total value) using non-bird rights without us using the mLE. That seems EXTREMELY unlikely.

Garner likes this.
  2. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Bro it wasnt a huge gamble at all....let it go. This was just a silly take.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) I'm not sure you are better next year in that scenario
    2) There's a real chance House gets more than the mLE offer from someone. What if a team sees his play and gambles by offering him a 1 year, $10 million deal? He's gone and he'd only need to be good enough to at least getting another small contract for that to break even with our biggest offer over the life of the deal.

4. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Trade Gordon n tucker for butler....ima be pissed if they dont

MiddleMan likes this.
  5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

To me the goal is butler...u have to get him

lilbird20 likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Most of Gordon's numbers have been on the decline since his first season with Houston. I'm willing to bet/believe that if you gave House those shots next season he'd give you the same stats Gordon's putting up this season at the very least.

Could someone go full r****d and give House the Ariza Special? Absolutely and there wouldn't be anything we could do about it. I'm okay with that. What I wouldn't be okay is to play the game of who'll blink first just because we want to have enough money to retain Rivers and/Faried. House is better than both right now--in terms of potential and in our system.

#46 steddinotayto, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    lilbird20 likes this.
  7. farhen

farhen Member

until the end of season?

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Try to think of House as a second guy we got in the Shumpert deal, who's also in the last year of his contract. It will help you feel better about both transactions.

saleem and lilbird20 like this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

Not everyone will be replaced. Capela, Gordon and Tucker will still be here.

Shumpert 11M expires & maybe Nene 3.6.M retires

Clark and Hartenstine will see burn next season.

Edwards?

I hope we find a Melton 2.0 (River’s role on rookie scale)

The point I am trying to make is the bottom of our roster has to stay fluid for because the top is so heavy, and for good reason.

We can’t over pay every role player. Yes the team will looks different with different players. With House no more crying for Ariza 15M. That transaction cost us less than the minimum & there are more Houses out there, too.

Ryan Anderson’s contract crippled our team so let’s learn from it -> I think DM did and Ariza moved on because of it -> It was the right thing to do for the team.

Enjoy this season. Then enjoy the off season.

lilbird20 likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Screenshot_20190317-100555.png It's cool that you wrote this, but it's not like House is a big topic here right now. :cool::eek:o_O:rolleyes:

Smacktle, bobloblaw and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ya know, I don't know. I think it is easy for us fans to *over value* our own talent. We see it every day and see the *fit* on the team. But league wide? There will be A LOT of FAs this offseason. I think we have to try to trust that Morey *knows the market value* of players. He might have a good pulse on the market values of House, Rivers and Faried. We'll see how they do in the playoffs. And if Morey can't retain those guys, there might be replacements that can fill the same void. Morey is not perfect, but he is really good. Just have to trust him.

12. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Kind of like Parsons huh...it only takes one team. We made him look good too...guess what he got paid then sucked. As a player u cash in. Parson made the right call he stealing money

fattz likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

True. But Morey knew the *market value* of Parsons and passed and pivoted to Ariza.

fattz likes this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

House is a system guy. He fits here. Someone throws a bunch a money at him, that would be a mistake. Take the money...flame out. See it all the time.

Wouldn't worry about it. If he goes, fine. There are other guys that will come along that do the same thing.

fattz likes this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

So you think House can essentially step into an Eric Gordon role and we wouldnt miss a beat? Not trying be a dick, Im just asking.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Not taking it that way at all and yea it might sound ludicrous considering who Gordon is and what little House has shown us but:

14 FGA per game on 40% shooting
    8.8 3PT attempts per game on 34% shooting
    78% FT percentage
    16.7/2/2

Gordon's numbers this season aren't as eyepopping as we think it is given what he did for us in years past.

Do I think House can jack up 8 3s a game and keep a respectable %? Maybe not 8-9 a game but 5-6 isn't a tall order.

Do I think he can average 16 points a game if Houston gives him 14 shots a night? Absolutely.

Of course this is all predicated on trading Gordon away for two back up players to replace Rivers and Faried.

HP3 likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

What if you traded Gordon and a pick to Philly for Jimmy Butler opt-in and trade?

MiddleMan and HP3 like this.
  18. fattz

fattz Member

Is there enough cap to sign Butler and still field a team?
    Do we really need/want Butler’s drama? Find the next House or sign House long and low.
    Butler really has not shined like an all start as a 3rd now 4th option, imo. He would be more of a role player here more than the 3rd super star for the team to be successful, imo.

#58 fattz, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yes.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What’s obvious is the Rockets brass believes defiantly that rotation athletic Swiss army knife 3/4 wing spot in the modern NBA is over valued to the point they’ll let anyone and everyone at that position walk out the door because they think there is a surplus they can pull off the shelf in the future for free.

I just happen to believe they are wrong and are too overconfident in their ability to continue to strike gold with freebees off the shelf they can snag when they need to.

The Rockets will have this problem again next year and we will be sold that this is the year Gary Clark and Vince Edwards step up to be elite level wings and we will likely lose games we shouldn’t early on because of this arrogance and frankly cheap a$$ antics.

We will also put more pressure on Harden to continue to need to be brilliant every night when this team should be good enough defensively to win games when Harden isn’t in video game god mode. It’s just completely unnecessary, arrogant, and cheap.