1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets are throwing an awesome House Party, but how long will it last?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Mar 16, 2019.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

lilbird20, fattz, saleem and 2 others like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not worried about the summer
    Just win this year.

Rocket River

smp, fattz, Hakeemtheking and 2 others like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

saleem likes this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You forgot to mention that ApacheWarrior called it in preseason when House was cut. I mentioned it was a
    mistake for the Rockets to waste their time with the “MCW project.” I would have given House a mild
    contract for the year.....which would probably have us at the same crossroads we find ourselves now.

My course of action.
    1) I don’t have a problem letting Rivers and Shumpert go and seek greener pastures this offseason. Rivers is
    inconsistent from 3 and a poor FT shooter. Defense mostly. Shumpert is inconsistent from 3 and will give you
    some defense. Let them walk.

2) Trade Eric Gordon for a bag of chips or for a cheap point guard backup to replace Rivers/Shumpert & Gordon himself,
    with maybe foreign player rights/overseas player.

3) Roll money into chasing starting SF thru free agency: This summer list:
    Durant
    Kawhi
    Butler
    Middleton
    Bogdanovic
    Oubre (also RFA)
    Rockets probably can’t afford the price range of the players listed above.

House (probably fits in around this range......
    years of experience/tenure + numbers/stats + age + height + speed + defense = market value). May be exceeded
    by some foolish team like Suns last year on Ariza or Mavs the year they pulled Parsons away from Houston.

Ariza
    Ellington
    Justin Holiday
    D Finley-Smith
    MKG
    Temple
    Ennis ........House probably better than this group (from *Ariza to Ennis)

My logic being: I would rather pay money for a starting small forward over paying so much money for a player coming
    off the bench. Or starting him as SF due to being paid so much I.e. Eric Gordon.

Try to bring back G Green and Faried with remaining money. More GG over Faried since Hartenstein is on the verge
    of contributing to a greater extent next season.

House is just starting to scratch the surface into his potential. Having House/Gary Clark/Hartenstein added to
    next years Harden/CP3/Capela/Tucker makes for a “Magnificent Seven”.......with G Green a “Great Eight”
    Gordon has been a huge disappointment to me this year and I’m ready to move him.

*Due to age of Ariza

Rocket River likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

but how long will it last?"

7. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think he even needed a guarantee from anyone. He was offered the minimum by the Rockets over two seasons. That was the Rockets best offer. He could make similar money in China.

An offer from the Rockets of 1-2 million more each of the next two seasons would double House’s wealth. The Rockets now have to deal with the possibility of losing him if he keeps playing well.

DVauthrin, lilbird20, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

No, the Rockets need Rivers. He defends very well, slashed to the basket and lets you not play Paul 38 minutes a night.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Don’t think that will be a problem nobody has gotten that contract since Lin As far as I know and he got that cause he looked at the time like a potential future all star. And we were desperate for any sort of star power.

House is role player and will always be a role player if he gets big deal good for him but he is more useful to teams that are competing and I don’t think many will have the cash to offer him.

10. HP3

HP3 Member

Man , if House leaves, I can just imagine these House zealots(shout out to @topfive ) being like "He was never that good, he's just a G League player" LOL.

Rocket River and Nook like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Good thing we have the draft to add depth... oh.

lilbird20, Deuce and justtxyank like this.
  12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So you'd trade Eric Gordon for peanuts, let everyone except House walk and then go to war next year with LESS talent? Because if you re-sign House with the MLE you aren't adding anyone else to this team via free agency (except minimum players) and if you traded Gordon for peanuts you aren't adding a meaningful player via trade either.

So your position is to make the team worse next year.

DVauthrin, lilbird20, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I can’t see anyone offering him more than the MLE, so he should be ours if we feel he’s more important than anyone else we can get or resign with that $$.

Relativist likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I agree he does those things well and he is a piss poor FT shooter, a below average FT shooter and we don't need a PG to reduce Paul's minutes. When Paul sits, Harden is the PG and when Harden is the PG there are plenty of similar and possibly better fits that will be available for the minimum.

Rivers' overall skillset does not deserve more than the minimum.

For players the calibre of Faried and Rivers - i.e. deeply flawed players who do 1 or 2 things well - you can get them for the minimum just like we did this season. Just don't count on them to save your season. Those are bonus/insurance/filler players. House has certainly looked like he may end up a tier above that i.e. worth a few million a year.

So to put this more accurately, we are going to HAVE to choose anyway and we must assume we're talking about a scenario where all these guys are desirable to retain i.e. they played well. If that's the case, give me House and 2 minimum signings over Faried, Rivers and a minimum signing.

Anyhow, I'm certain converting House this season was conditional upon him not officially signing an offer sheet if/when he gets it. He will give them time to maneuver and match instead of a ticking offer sheet. It is safe to say he is worth as much to us as he is for any other team. We don't have a starter at his position.

Hope so.

15. fattz

fattz Member

House has issues bigger than him... his talent is undeniable but so his history. He is a band aid not a solid long term solution, IMO. Let’s let DM use his skill set and wait and see. The G league, summer league and overseas talent blends in with our two all world players nicely because they make subpar players look better than they actually are. There is no telling what next year’s team will look like.

Most important enjoy the now —> Good things are happening.

Smacktle likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You deserve a lot of credit for mentioning the potential benefits of House for a long time, my friend. A lot of us have been disappointed and frustrated with Gordon after his excellent performance against GS last season. I do want to add that I don't think of him as just another expiring contract. He can still play well but in shorter stretches. Injuries and having to play full time as a SF have contributed to him slowing down. I think he can do a better job as a 6th man, now that House is available for the 3 spot. Gordon still has some trade value and his 14-15 M contract can get us a better player than Shumpert or Garrett Temple. He is rounding into form and can be useful going into the playoffs, but I admit I don't think he can be the player of the last year's playoffs. If Rivers gets going, the pressure on the team will ease up, even with House's return. I don't know where Austin's mind is right now. He seems confused out there, and I view this as a big disappointment, just like Gordon's. The only difference is that Gordon realizes his role better.

ApacheWarrior, lilbird20 and BamBam like this.
  17. hakeemthagreat

Like who? Patrick Beverley, Montrez Harrell or Lou Williams? You can't keep acting as if the only reason guys are in the NBA is bc of CP & Harden. Every role player is not easily replaceable.

18. Garner

Garner Member

Great read, @justtxyank. One note:

You mention that,
    But later say,
    With House hitting RFA, does he have a non-bird option or should it say Faried instead of House?

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Trade Gordon for a backup point guard and backup 4/5. Use the MLE on House. Problem solved.

fattz likes this.
  20. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lmao idiots

MiddleMan likes this.