1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Renting Carmelo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Nov 1, 2010.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Oh, yeah. This, too.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The good teams keep their better players and trade off uneccesary pieces, to get better.

And outside of Sheed (who was pretty much free for Detroit), I can't think of a single instance where a rent a player worked in the NBA.

It is different in basketball, as players all share the court together, and have to work together more than in baseball.

I would be in favor of getting Melo for Battier, Jeffries and picks, maybe even Hill but no one else of signifigance.

BTW- San Antonio continues to sign their better players and allows chemistry to build...while teams like Dallas and Houston turnover roster after roster desperately grasping at straws...

Stability breeds success more than trades.

DD

3. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I'd consider such a trade, but we really can't afford to give away Battier and Jefferies in such a deal because we'd be screwed defensively with a 1-2-3 lineup of Brooks, Martin and Anthony.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's going to get interesting - Denver's proceeding as if their return on Melo is going to go up at the deadline. Meanwhile, it's been made clear that NY is the only place he's a lock to extend for, and (1) they want nothing to do with the Knicks and (2) the Knicks top offer is pond water. No one's offering a godfather package for a 3 month rental. His rental price is lower than what was being shopped to Denver in September.

Something is going to give.

Scenarios:
    Denver realizes they held the bag to long and have to move him for a lesser (rental) deal than the Nets 4-way they killed

Denver waits through the CBA lockout and moves him in a S&T for crummy return (TE, two worthless picks)

Denver gives in and moves him to the Knicks

Carmelo caves and becomes willing to sign an extension with a fair number of teams

5. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

What gets me is that years later I have yet to see a critique of this trade saying it was a bad deal for the Rox. The perception of Battier and his intangibles are unbelievable even as he ages and is losing his defensive edge, I don't think the Rox are ever going to trade the guy.

6. DaDakota

I liked the Battier for Gay trade, as it was the right thing to do at that time....but most of us that liked it also knew that at some point Rudy would far surpass Shane.....it was just hoped that the Rox with Tmac and Yao would have had multiple championships by then.

Sometimes, **** happens.

DD

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

But do you really think Carmelo would bolt without doing a sign&trade? Meaning he'd agree to take LESS money? He doesn't strike me as the type. So the idea of us getting nothing in return if he doesn't re-sign with us doesn't wash.

8. DaDakota

I think the new CBA is going to play into it big time, as is the destination Carmelo wants to go play in...ie NY.

Before making any trade for him......even as a rental you need to review what you might get back in trade from NY....

And right now their cupboard is pretty empty.

DD

9. DaJet

DaJet Member

Carmelo ain't no Chris Bosh or LeBron James.

He cares more about the money and is stingy.

Why else did he sign an extension with the extra money and years on his contract while his buddies Wade, Bosh and LeBron signed the 3 year extension?

I doubt he walks if he gets traded to Houston.

I'm all for a Carmelo rental, and who knows, what if CP3 decides to bolt and demands a trade? We can surely net him with the agreement that Melo and CP3 will play in Houston.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are many Chase Budingers out there. There are many guys who will come along to build a good team with. Morey's a great GM...he found Landry, Bud, Brooks, and others.

Go get Melo and give us a shot at the title. Rather that than be 2nd round fodder.

Go for the ring Morey! Make it happen!

11. DaJet

DaJet Member

I like your thinking.

Other than Melo, who else is out there?

Apparently, CP3 is in love with the city of NO and is being a good soldier and is willing to play out his contract.

Granger aint a superstar, and isn't getting moved anytime soon. Same with Iguodala. He's just a 2nd or 3rd option on a championship squad, and we tons of them on our roster already at half the cost.

The darkhorses that might get moved IMO are Steve Nash and Deron Williams. The loss of Boozer and Amare respectively will ultimately cost one of these teams a spot in the playoffs. Al Jefferson, while good, isn't as good as Boozer and same with Amare. They replaced him with what? Hedo and Hakeem Warrick? LMAO.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This. Melo wasn't even trying out there Saturday night and still looked better than every Rockets player outside of Scola.

AB and Budinger are average to good players. We need all-stars.

Who says it would be a rental anyways? We have his bird rights. If he bolts, we get assets in return.

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Great writeup, as always, Bima. Remember that the main reason Denver supposedly nixed the NJ four-way deal was they woke up and realized they were taking back too much salary for their taste? That means we have another valuable asset that might keep us from even having to part with CBud - the Ariza trade exception. If Les would agree to the salary and luxury tax hit, after making the outgoing salaries to Denver within 75% of Carmelo's salary, we can do a concurrent "second" deal with Denver to take back salary. Presumably, that would be Chris Anderson at 4 years starting at about $4 million, and Renaldo Balkman at 3 years, $1.675 million per, in exchange for the TE.

Taking back these salaries would save Denver mucho $$. Since Anderson would end up as a backup center for us, perhaps Brad Miller would be sent to Denver (after December 15th) as part of the salary fodder to match the Carmelo salary. Meaning Battier could stick around for the BBS to keep kicking around. A deal of Hill, Jeffries, Miller and the 2 Knicks picks for Melo, Anderson and Balkman would save Denver salaries this year of almost $9 million, plus more money if Denver is currently in luxury tax land.

1 person likes this.
  14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I've made a note of this post, particularly the bolded part. If you believe that Battier has been a better deal than Rudy Gay, start a poll and see how many Clutchfans would jump at the chance to rescind that trade retroactively.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Honestly, I would rescind the trade, after all Thabo Sefolosha is practically Shane Battier just 6 years younger. ;)

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What if...there is a 'franchise tag' as part of new CBA? Melo and Knicks get screwed.

The brinksmanship on this is, at the very least, entertaining.

17. DaDakota

The problem is that he could OPT out before that rule goes into effect.

Nice thought though...

DD

18. mFt82

mFt82 Member

Giving up Jeffries and Battier for Melo would absolutely wreck the inlking of defensive prowess the Rockets' organization currently has. Trading for Iguoadala, on the other end, would be a damn good move.

19. Raven

Raven Member

I'm not sure what Denver is holding out for. There's not much flex in what NJ or NY can offer. It is what is is. I'd accept the risk of Carmelo not returning. This could be Yao's last season, so you have to go for it.

20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

This is Yao's last season, so Rockets should collect as many assets as possible and gear towards rebuilding. Instead of selling the farm for half a year of Carmelo.