1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Potential trade targets include Nene, Granger

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 7, 2011.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Hey, now! No need for that kind of talk. Both Monroe (potential) and Scola (actual current talent level) are good players, and arguments can be made on both sides for why it would be better for the Rockets to have one over the other. Resorting to this kind of drivel is beneath you, herro.

Get back to me in about a year, when the Rockets are constrained by the (new, lower) salary cap due to Rip's contract and are unable to even dream of making a run at a major free agent in 2012. :p

2. herro

herro Member

20 year old rookie Greg Monroe per 48 min.

The kid hasn't played 50 games yet

14.1pts/12.6reb/1.7ast/.92blk/1.96stl on 52.6% from the field

20/11/2/2 on Brook Lopez

15/17/2/2 on Amare in MSG

16/9/1/4 on Tyson Chandler

14/11/2/1 on Marc Gasol and Z-Bo

3. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Like Bima, I think Nene would be the better acquisition from a positional standpoint. However, Nene seems to have lost much of his energy after his injuries in recent years. My question is whether he will go ball to the wall with Adelman's system.

If we do secure Nene's services, can we trade AB and change to acquire Hinrich, who is reportedly available? I love Lowry's game, but he is much more effective IMO as a relief PG who can change the tempo and whip the second string into a pulsing frenzy. Hinrich at 6-3 understands how to run a game with bonus points for being able to shoot and defend.

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Which would make Rip Hamilton a great trade chip for the Rockets favor in getting Monroe here first. Then down the line worrying about getting rid of Rips contract next year. Hopefully one step at a time. Get one guy then worry about how to deal with the other...

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Then that would mean Monroe would be better than Scola if you think he can be as good as Brad Miller was.

6. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

I guess my question would be, say we say do get Nene, is he a legitimate star?

In my humble opinion, I see him more of as a good starting role player. I figured all this trade talk was for us to target an all star caliber player, or player with an uber high ceiling. I'm kind of confused on what the rockets want... granted pickings for all star caliber players are slim.

7. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

would trade our entire team away for 1 guy who is fun to watch
    (sans martin/scola on off, and chuck on d)

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Nene is no star, but he's a very good player and after all you can only trade for what's out there.

Here's a good read on Nene for those who haven't watched him all that much:

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/04/appreciating-nene/

9. herro

herro Member

Should be easier to get Nene out of Denver than Monroe out of Detroit.

I think we could potentially lift Granger out of Indiana AND Nene out of Denver. At a minimum we should be able to grab Granger + Thabeet or Kaman.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What they want is simple : To remain competetive while keeping their options open for the 2012 FA class which includes D.Williams and Dwight Howard.

That means having assets to use in a S&T while keeping salary within reason.

11. pge71188

pge71188 Member

Either one of those players would be great but If i had to choose one i would lean towards Nene because he fills a position we really need at the moment. As long as we dont trade Twill.

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I can see Nene really taking off in the Rockets system. Nene is a fantastic passer in addition to being one of the most efficient scoring bigs. Solid Defense also.

I haven't seen Patterson mentioned a lot in this thread. I would much rather have him or Hill next to nene rather than Luis simply because both of them are much better weak-side shot blockers. I think as soon as P.P. starts getting more PT he will surprise a lot of us at how good of a weak-side defender he can be.

We still need a post presence to run the high low with Nene and a back to the basket player, which obviously scola would be the best, but I think eventually Patterson can be that player. He's shown a lot of basketball I.Q, and he has an extremely strong work ethic. He's only going to get better.

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Thats a pretty tough thing to do. Obviously they are banking on this two year strategy more than I had realized. I now realize they base their whole strategy around this plan you just laid out. Which is Moreys M.O. Now that i think about it. Gamble on signing someone he fills he can go after full throttle in free agency 2012. Thats a long and drawn out plan to me. Too many variables to me. One being.. Who is coach and GM by then perhaps?? Well I guess there is that and are Deron Williams and insert whoever_____ willing to come here two years waisted from now like Bosh situation? Then, are they still good or injured by then... I guess it can work.

14. acjeitherocket

Good post!!

In Morey We Trust

15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Great article, Clutch, thanks for the scoops.

I'm guessing the Greg Monroe reference was just an example of the Rockets' past aggressiveness in trade talks, and that the talks were last summer on draft day or shortly thereafter. Monroe is now to Detroit what Griffin is to the Clips and Love is to Minnesota; untouchable.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is just another dream scenario. :rolleyes: No substance.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yep dream scenario. Morey cant actually pull this stuff off. Its proven pretty much. :grin:

18. karthik.08

karthik.08 Member

yao, brooks, bud, hill, picks

19. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

For all those who seem to think this is just another meaningless rumor, consider who the source of this article is. There was one guy who kept bringing up Kevin's name before the deadline last year even after Sac-Town kept saying they weren't dealing him, heck even Dallas decided to go with Butler/Haywood because their 1st choice supposedly wasn't available. Not saying either deal will happen but if Clutch is talking about it then there is certainly smoke

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

How does everyone feel with running a future line up of

T-Will/C.Lee/Granger/PPat/Nene