1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Potential trade targets include Nene, Granger

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

More role players on a team made up entirely of role players. Granger can do a little bit of everything, and I like him, but he is not a game changer. Nene can rebound and adds a big body but he has his mental lapses. It will improve the team depending on what we lose but I wouldn't get too excited.

Accept mediocrity for now.

2. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It's Melo or bust. Like Zboy says above, the improvement from getting Nene and Granger will make us better but won't get us to the top.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

right now that would be a good start then you can start beating the top team and see where the team is from that point.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Nene shoots 64 percent...let me say that again, 64 percent from the field and can give you 18-10 on most nights. Will he make us a title contender, NO, but he sure does make us a heck of a lot more interesting.

28 years old and athletic...what more can you ask for out of a center. He also makes the Rockets A LOT more interesting to DWill and CP3 come a year from now.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

He's not a big shotblocker, so he won't give you that (which we desperately need). I don't watch the Nuggets enough to comment on his defense, but he appears to be a thick, solid defender.

I'm not sure how you can say he can give you 18-10 on most nights when he's never even averaged close to that. His career high average RPG is 7.8 and career high average PPG is 15.1.

6. rockets934life

A shot blocking big would be IDEAL but who would you suggest we go after, Camby?

He averages 15-7(Rounding) playing with a guy like Melo, now lets put him in an offense were he is in the high post and not such an iso-heavy scheme. Just look at what Chuck can do in this offense, dude can't hit anything outside of 4 feet and averages 7.4 a game. Probably should have said close to 18-10 on most nights but it would be close.

Oh and Melo also averages almost 8 boards a game this year, our SF doesn't come close to that. I'd expect his rebounds to increase to 10 per game.

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't really have any suggestions. Camby would be ideal if we were contending within the next few years. Ideally, someone like Perkins or D. Jordan would look great in the middle. I'd even settle this summer for Dalembert, who I think could be a big presence for us.

Agreed that Melo is a terrific rebounding SF; I was just pointing out it's a bit of a stretch to say Nene will get you 18/10 nightly when he's never done it. Not to say he couldn't, but I certainly don't think it's a given.

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

People need to understand that if we get Melo, and maybe sign him to an extension, then that will make us real players for 2012 (howard, dwill, cp3). I think that is what Morey is looking and why he wants to roll the dice for Melo.

9. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Completely agree, I've been thinking this ever since the Melodrama began.

With Melo, Hakeem, and C. Lee all whispering in Dwight's ear, I think we have a realistic shot of landing him.

10. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

Uhm. Chuck averages that much (and more since coming back from injury) because he is quicker than most players guarding him and has started to master those difficult shots that are hard to predict like the tricky reverse layup off the glass or the 4 foot floater. Hell, he even pulled out a jump hook a few games ago.

The point is, Nene' can do neither so I would bet anyone right here and now that there is no way he averages more than he does right now in Denver if he goes into that system. He might equal it, but he is definitely not better.

He is definitely not better defensively than Chuck and he averages almost the same amount of rebounds despite being 6 inches taller than Chuck.

11. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

Not even close. Dwight Howard leaving Orlando just to play with Carmelo? What is the connection? And Chris Paul would be more likely to want to pair up with a dominant big man than a player like Carmelo.

Not saying that The Rockets shouldn't trade for Carmelo, in fact I was saying this when most of this board were acting like weasels and saying "don't trade he will just leave."

I said it before and I will say it again; if Morey could get Carmelo Anthony for virtually noone who is a major rotational player (ie, Jordan Hill and Patrick Patterson) then he would be stupid not to. Getting Carmelo gets you into the playoffs. If he re-signs, great. If he doesn't, you have tons of cap room to go after someone else.

Or, you could hold onto a guy like Patterson and hope he becomes as good as you think he will be, all the while playing for a top pick in the lottery for the next 3 to 4 years...

12. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

And also, if Carmelo really wanted to play with Dwight Howard that bad, I am sure he and his agent could work out a sign and trade with Denver for some of those big contracts Orlando would love to dump like Gilbert Arenas and Jameer Nelson.

13. rockets934life

The high post offense is made for centers who can pass and shoot, Nene does both well. Throw in the fact that he can be an effective post player, much like Scola, he will get his points. Again, probably should have said CLOSE to 18-10 on MOST nights but either way I think getting him away from a SF that scores and rebounds like Melo and considering this offense isn't so iso-dominated, it will increase his totals with the Rockets.

14. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

I don't know when it was ever decided that he was a good passer...

Anyway, going away from Carmelo is only going to hurt his game because he won't be open as much.