1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Potential Rocket Profile: Carmelo Anthony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why would it be about the defense that each team plays? Melo doesn't play defense, pretty much refuses to give any effort on that side of the ball much like Harden, putting him on a team with Thibs or any coach that would get on a player for not trying to play defense is a recipe for disaster. McHale has his flaws (which I've b****ed about ad nauseam) but one thing we do know is that he cares a lot more about offense than he does defense, just like Melo meaning he'd be a better fit.

Now I'm not a fan of picking up Melo, but it would make sense sort of given that we are a team that cares almost entirely about offense.

2. Classic

Classic Member

Yet the consensus is the McHale is revered by his own players. My only comment was I would consider Rose a gamble. Melo's trust in the other 4 guys on the floor seems to me would be his biggest concern--if 'chips are his priority.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Anyone that considers Dwight and Noah a wash has a serious lack of basketball knowledge. Noah and Asik are a lot closer than Noah and Dwight.

By the way, I agree with you about Harden and Rose. No one really knows what Rose will be when he gets back to the court.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. The Rockets would basically have to out score everybody, because they won't be stopping anyone. Basically the way they are playing now. Whoever gets to 135 first wins.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I see your points but:

1. Gibson is as good as gone if they want to get Anthony. Using the Amnesty doesn't free up enough cap room to get Anthony his $20 million. The Bulls would have to pretty much trade Gibson away for picks to not take salary back.

2. The Bulls might have to trade Butler away too. I think they'll try to hold onto him for dear life but Butler could be gone considering he's going to cost them a good amount of money in a couple of years (e.g. avoid paying luxury tax at all costs).

3. Their bench is nonexistent right now. Aside from Butler (who could be gone), they only have Dunleavy Rip Hamilton and Tony Snell under contract. Adding this all up:

Carmelo: $20 million
    Rose: $19 million
    Noah: $12 million
    Dunleavy: $3 million
    Snell: $1.4 million
    Hamilton: $300K

That is $55.7 million going to 6 players if they decide to cut ties with Hinrich, DJ Augustin, Fredette and every free agent they have which puts them in that uncomfortable zone between where they are under the cap but don't have enough money to make significant signings and not over the cap to utilize any exceptions (MLE, LLE, etc.)

The Rockets, on the other hand, have all of their significant pieces locked down. They can still pick up Parsons' option, and won't be losing significant talent just to make room for Anthony.

I agree that McHale sucks and going back to the West isn't easier than staying in the East but from a talent perspective, Houston has appeal.

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just for a small reference (I tried to make them as realistic as possible ie. only counting yrs on rockets, and not counting yrs out for injury) Here are some numbers:

Rose&Noah avg shots a game - 24.9 avg points a game - 30.8
    Harden&Howard avg shots a game - 27.1 avg pts a game - 44.0

Melo will be playing SF or PF
    CHI SF/PF avg shots a game - 24.6 avg points a game - 29.9
    HOU SF/PF avg shots a game - 20.1 avg points a game - 24.9

I think this shows that Houston stars will pass the ball just as much as chicago and try and set up their teammates, and while the SF/PF on chicago scores more, thats why Melo will help us. Because right now Howard/Harden are far beyond outscoring Noah/Rose.. Not sure if this shows much, I just thought it was interesting.

7. Classic

Classic Member

I'm with you and yet somehow Noah landed First team All-NBA honors ahead of Dwight.

8. Play07

Play07 Member

only time will tell who melo wants to go to. But Gibson + Noah make less than Howard $22mill combined. I read a article earlier that if they traded dunleavy they would have $17-20 mill in cap. Not sure how true that is tho.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

After two knee surgeries in two years and only playing half of the 11/12 season due to assorted injuries, I think we have a pretty good idea. He didn't rush back, didn't play in the 2013 playoffs, and his return only lasted 10 games and was pretty unspectacular.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It is true that if they reduce their roster to nothing but Gibson, Noah, Rose and Butler they could have max contract space, but then they'd literally be signing every other member of the roster to vet minimum deals.

11. deshen

deshen Member

Howard is much better than Noah, Harden is slightly better than Rose. However, their coach is much better. It is tough call.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really. Rose is looking a lot like he'll never play worth a damn again meaning that Harden is a LOT better, obviously Howard is much better than Noah, and if you were a player that didn't want to play any defense at all, would you want to go to a team coached by someone that harps on defense a lot? All around it's a terrible situation.

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The media has to keep it interesting that's all this is regarding the Chicago hype.

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

JR smith averaged 23 pts a game lol

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You're looking at Per 36, breh.

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I disagree.
    They would be even stronger offensively now.
    The PF's on other teams that usually destroy us now have to actually play defense too.
    As bad as melo is on defense he is SO MUCH BETTER than TJones (not to mention how much better he is offensively)

All in all, I think we will score more, rest CP and Harden more (increasing some energy for defense), be stronger at PF on both sides of the ball, and being closer in contention will make everyone play harder (this is all happening because ppl want to win and we need that mentality.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I've seen a couple of people say that, but is Melo really significantly better at defense than Jones?

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

For Chicago to be able to go after Anthony they have to free up some cap space.

If they amnesty Boozer, either get rid of their two 1st rounder this year or draft players who will play in Europe, keep Nikola Mirotic over in Europe for another year they still have less than $13.5M in cap space.

They can trade Dunleavy and take nothing back and that would give them $16.16M in cap space but that's still not likely enough.

They can also trade Butler and take nothing back and that would get them up to $17.7M.

If that's not enough to sign Anthony then they'd have to unload Gibson too.

Either way it won't simply be a matter of adding Anthony to their current team. One or both of Gibson and Butler will be gone, they wouldn't have any 1st round picks joining them next season, Mirotic will still be in Europe and they won't have their MLE or BAE.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, not at all. In a lot of ways he's not even as good at defense as Jones if we're playing Melo at the 4. Melo's only value comes on offense, he's basically the forward version of Harden when it comes to defense.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Melo isn't better than Jones defensively, especially if playing at the 4, Melo is basically the forward version of James Harden at the 4