1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: What's Wrong With Patrick Beverley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I mentioned this in another thread and it applies to the podcast as well...

I don't think the Rockets can trade DMo in a Dragic type trade. You fill one hole and create another.

I am all fine to move NOP/TJones/Capela/Canaan etc to upgrade the PG spot with an "impact player that puts the team over the top", but moving DMo for that piece just creates another hole and you end up treading water.

If there isn't a Dragic type deal out there, maybe more moves one of their 2nd rounders (NYK 31, DEN 38) for a small backup PG upgrade and just roll with that team.

It is obvious, this is no longer Harden+Howard's team. This is Harden's team and any moves have to be made in concert with Harden's prime window.

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Cyber provided a lot of info, but I can't seem to find the thread -- I thought it was its own thread, but I don't see one so it may be buried elsewhere. My memory is a little murky, but I recall them deciding against surgery for some reason, concluding that it might not get better but couldn't get worse from him continuing to play on it, considerations of him going to Germany to see about alternative treatment? But the conclusion was that they were still extremely worried about it coming into this season and were not at all convinced that it was no longer an issue. Pile a couple of hamstring injuries on top of that, and I start to think maybe his new normal (physically) and his style of play can't be reconciled.

He should have had a seat after he tore it in the first place, IMO. I know that probably seemed like a hard thing to do given the way that series was playing out, but... meh.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

We're never gonna get a straight answer on that I'm afraid. I think it's pretty obvious by now that McHale views Canaan as a player he only puts into the game if Bev is out with an injury, if the game is out of hand, or if Bev and Terry are so useless(i.e. the Detroit game) that he has no other option(aside from Shved).

What I've never understood is why Canaan was apparently good enough to start in Bev's absence(where he filled in nicely I might add), but not good enough to get backup minutes when Bev is healthy. Props to anyone who can explain that paradox to me.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Good Lord. The kid had one bad game after having a string of GREAT games when we really needed him earlier in the season. And again, Augustin has lit up PG after PG after PG since he took over the starting gig. Bev. Lowry. Rubio. Lawson. Chalmers. Hell, Ariza struggled with him. To use those 7 minutes as a condemnation of Canaan as a defender is pretty unfair.

5. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

It's a long season. His style of play requires a LOT of energy to maintain a high level. Maybe he is trying to help Harden out and using more energy on offense which affects his play on the defensive end. Not to menton the mathups he has on a day to day basis in the west, nobody can stop those guys.

I know he hears the rumblings about "the rockets need a PG" so im sure that has a impact on him. Knowing the team is looking to be replace him has to be tough. I do think he would be better served as a backup PG for us. I like the guy and his energy, but he is just not skilled enough in other parts of the game to be a starter, if harden is the only playmaker on the floor.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

nick johnson showed some promise early on, played inspired D, and even hit a game winner for us. if the current bums in the rotation are giving us nothing then why not develop players we already have on the roster? what are our odds for advancing in the playoffs at this point anyways? no center, no pg, no shooting, no coach..

7. count_dough-ku

Sorry, but that's bullcrap. Canaan needs to consistently get minutes. It's unfair for McHale to leave him on the bench for weeks and then suddenly call his number when the rest of the team is stinking up the joint against an inferior opponent and task him with bringing them back from a double digit deficit on the road. Dude's a 2nd year player who's hardly seen any time on the floor in his career. He's not Vinnie Johnson.

I think McHale has done a good job for the most part this season, but one thing that's always bugged me is how he doesn't give young players some time on the court to develop them over the course of the season. He seems only willing to put them out there when he's given no choice. Like inserting T-Jones into the starting lineup last year when it was clear that the Twin Towers experiment was a disaster. Or playing D-Mo heavy minutes this year after T-Jones and then Dwight went down with injuries. Or in the case of Canaan, only playing him when Bev is hurt.

If he'd played Canaan regularly all season long, then he could probably insert him back into the starting lineup for a few games(or given him increased time off the bench) to see if he can perform better than Bev and we wouldn't have to worry that the dude would be ice cold from the field or not in game shape. Not to mention it would've cut down on Terry's minutes which might've prevented his recent slump which has gotta be due at least in part to fatigue.

8. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I agree with those that state Bev is better in short stints. We need to play Canaan and limit Bev to 25-30 mins per game. McFail just do it:eek:

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Cannan, is not the answer....

T_Man

10. count_dough-ku

Long-term, probably not. But you cannot tell me that he couldn't help in the short-term at least a little. We're getting almost nothing offensively from Bev and usually Terry on a regular basis. If/when the team acquires a legit starting PG, then Canaan can go back to riding the pine. But with the current rotation they have to work with, it's inexcusable that he never gets onto the floor. Especially when a scrub like Shved is given occasional minutes.

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

McHale has an interesting rotation for the PG and Center spots. If his starters are healthy Canaan or Dorsey don't see the court unless its a blowout. If they're out then all of a sudden Canaan will start or Dorsey will start when they wouldn't be able to sniff playing time before.

With the way Bev and Terry have played as of late(especially Bev, Terry will still give you some threes but he can't play extended minutes and his defense is meh at best), you have to see what you have in Canaan. Especially before the trade deadline where you could be pulling the trigger on something that's not worth it.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Good points Deuce. But I personally think if they possibly get a crack at trading for Dragic and DMO has to be part of the package, Morey probably does it. A Dragic and Harden backcourt puts the Rockets in a category in the West and very difficult to beat come playoff time. Beverly coming off the bench and Jones back at the starting 4 isn't all that bad. You have to give to get and Dragic would make the Rockets dramatically better than they are now even with the loss of DMO.

13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Time for the Cannan/Johnson experiment redux

14. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Nope, its a fact. What part of 0 for 6 did you miss?

We are locked into an extremely tight Western Conference race where one game can make a huge impact on the standings....and you want a Coach who will play the weakest contributors off the bench in order to develop them?

Now that's what I call bullcrap.

If he can't prove his value in practice, then he doesn't get off the bench in my book.

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

But what did harden say? Lol...

16. jump shooter

Very well said.

17. count_dough-ku

Not happening. D-Mo ain't going anywhere. He's only 24 years old and already has a post game good enough to score on most defenders in this league. Plus he's a decent defensive player and very good on the break at either dunking the ball or tipping in missed layups. You think the Rockets would be anywhere close to 35-16 right now without that guy, especially with Dwight and T-Jones missing so much time?

18. jump shooter

Its your opinion and I respect it. But my opinion is Howard and Harden are in their prime and the time is now, Dragic makes them dramatically better even with the loss of DMO IMO.

19. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

LOF alert!? You guys always tryin to make him out to be better than he already isn't. ;)

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

if dwight and tj can both play and the opportunity to get dragic is there, Dmo is not as untouchable as you think.