1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Ty Lawson, Houston Rockets Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 20, 2015.

1. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Solid PC as usual. I disagree with a lot of what clutch said though. I think he's writing off Tjones too much. And he had concerns about harden playing off the ball. Obviously harden is better with the ball in his hands, but our only real issue last year offensively was putting too much responsibility on Harden. I'm sure he'd love to be on the other end of a kick out three every once in a while.

2. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

Admittedly Hayes was one of my favorite Rocket players back in the day but I didn't really follow him that much after he left the Rockets other than seeing the occasional news about him. How is his health now these days? and can he still play that same level of defense that we saw with him as a Rocket?

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Shots fired!!!

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

The short answer... Yes.

That was his only job in Toronto. He would play when the younger guys couldn't stop someone... His time was limited but effective.

The long answer is because of the limited minutes I can't say he's exactly the same defender as he was but health wise he's had no issues. The coach had little use for him when the younger guys were playing decent.

5. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

I see, thank you for the answer! Well I'm all aboard for the Chuck wagon to reunite with the Rockets. Rockets don't really have a lock down defender at the 4 position and Hayes would be awesome to spot minutes for defense or at the very least be a mentor and teach our young pf's how to defend.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

And let's not forget that Harden played off the ball a lot in OKC, and was still putting up very good numbers. Harden should have no problem playing off the ball.

7. dlite316

dlite316 Member

Just listened. Awesome as always. Thank BimaThug for clearing up the TPE, Non-TPE, and the hard-cap.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A 35 minute long podcast from Clutch and Bima, outstanding, as usual, and they could have talked another half hour, easy, just about the surprising twist in Lawson's last contract year and the ramifications. The news wasn't out yet. Heck, I hope to hear another in the next couple of days from Clutch about that and hopefully the signing of Chuck and Jet. This is really turning into a wild off-season!

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IMO The Chuckster is an acquired taste. And it has not worked out for him except when in Rocketland.

10. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Nice. I think I hear "Happy" coming from the locker room just now....................:cool:

11. Rocketsmanhk

Rocketsmanhk Member

I just went to reddit raptors and it seems like they all love Chuck.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wtf? No way Worrell said that.

13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Chuck Hayes isn't the key to winning a championship or getting their. Wow, I can't believe how this board thinks its the effective Chuck Hayes. It's not, dude is done. Can we please focus on relevant players in the rotation. Clint Eastwood for example.

If Ty Lawson shoots better from 3 point and creates more points in the half court than Pat then we upgraded. If not, it's a 1 year experiement and tradeable asset.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

fAKE TWITTER ACCOUNT...

15. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I expect him to not play at all, but make his contributions off court. Help DMo and TJ learn defensive basics. Help Lawson focus on the game and stay away from distractions, that sort of thing. Again, I expect 0 minutes.

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

There will be an opportunity to fix this mid-season. If KJ steps up, then Brewer becomes one of the more disposable players on the team, and almost every team in the league needs/wants quality wing players.

Atlanta, Boston, Chicago and Cleveland........all needs wings, and all have PFs we would want.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Clutch is wrong about Terrence. You dont trade young talent for.cheap before they hit puberty.

18. vator

vator Contributing Member

Seems like nobody remembers how great Harden was off the ball in OKC when he shared ball handling duties. He ran that 2nd unit, but was able to play away from the ball just fine and excelled by making plays when the ball was swung to him. This will just allow him to diversify his attack which is a good thing and maybe his efficiency will see an uptick because of it.

Also, Ty Lawson is one of a handful of players in the NBA you can justify taking the ball out of Harden's hands for. He is going to collapse the defense just as much and is able to produce more assists with far fewer turnovers.

#58 vator, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Now Harden has more FREEDOM to roam the court and it opens up more offensive plays we were not able to run in previous years. Frees up Howard also having Lawson running the show. The Rockets were rather 1 dimensional for a reason because it was the only thing that could actually WORK via harden being only creative playmaker. In my opinion it was by design and had to do with why McHale ran the plays he did. This year I'm thinking it's gonna be a bit different. We might just have the fastest squad in the NBA at times.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We are certainly more complete team now. Obviously not having Smith takes away some defense at the 4 and the ability to stretch the defense for Dwight, but other then that it's hard to find any significant flaws with this team now.

Are we a contender? I think that depends on coaching. McHale has the players to compete. The competition though is incredible. GS, SA, CLE, OKC, and even LAC are very very tough teams to take out as they are strong rosters at every position as well.

But this definitely puts us into the mix.