1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: The Rockets and the 2018 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 20, 2018.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I was really pumped for Lawson.... :(

Sanity2disChaos and daywalker02 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I remember the line - He is not the Law, Son!

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Clutch likes this.
  4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I woke up today with the feeling like we are trading EG... if the reports are true that we want to get "younger" "more athletic"... wouldn't you think packaging EG/fillers, etc. for a young star to pair with Harden/CP be the right move? Freeing up cap? Trading Ryno, etc. for more cap? What would it take to move into the top 5?

We feasibly have the big 3: Harden, Paul, Capela. It makes sense in my eyes.

5. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I'd be closely watching what the Fubs are doing. Seems they're exploring moving up in the 2nd as well.

#25 yixiixiy, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  6. Zergling

Zergling Member

Love love love the Kent Bazemore idea. Unlike Ryno, Bazemore is absolutely playable against the Warriors and only adds to our depth of switchy 3&D players, and would be an excellent replacement for 0-12 if he leaves for free agency.

Bazemore was ridiculed for his contract and play the past few years, but he quietly shot almost 40% from three last year (more than 3% higher than Ariza). He's also 4 years younger.

Morey is great at finding players in the 2nd round. Hopefully we can buy a pick or two and find even more switchy players.

#26 Zergling, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    saleem, Rockets FTW and da_juice like this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What time does the action start?

8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

For what this team does, getting Bazemore for Ryno would be a substantial upgrade.

You could then package Gordon or whatever to move into lottery and get even younger, maybe get lucky on a star.

Paul, Harden, Capela, Tucker, Ariza, Bazemore, 1st Rounder, Green, fillers. Don't know how this works with the cap but maybe this would be enough for Paul to take the paycut to bring Bron Bron in.

9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

D’Antoni ain’t playin no rookie so there goes your dream. Y’all forgetting who our coach is.

10. basketballholic

Don't know if this was mentioned entirely the way I'm going to lay it out. But with $5.1 million to spend now and another $5.1 million to spend after the moratorium there may possibly be a deal involving us sending a good amount of cash out to the team we're going to possibly trade Anderson to.

Thus would then allow us to send more cash out with Anderson while trading him after the moratorium.

And that cash could be the incentive to get a team like Cleveland to agree to a deal for Lebron before the moratorium to be executed after the moratorium. I would think $8-10 million to a team like Cleveland to help them offset their tax bill while simultaneously taking them out of the luxury tax and starting a rebuild would be huge.

An example:

OKC and Washington are both in the luxury tax and have mud to late second rounders available. OKC, along with Cleveland could both be candidates to take Anderson contract. Not Washington however.

If we're going to trade Anderson to Cleveland we could trade our pick and a considerable amount of cash to Cleveland for a future pick or perhaps Okaro White. Then after the deadline we send them a bunch more cash with Anderson.

(Cleveland knee deep in the luxury tax and they actually spent all their cash on trades this year. So they're paying the luxury tax plus a hidden cost of $5 million to get smoked in the Finals. Just terrible cap management.)

Washington also in the luxury tax. We could give them a couple million for one of their second rounders, then send that pick along with putt remaining cash to Cleveland for White or a future pick.

Same thing with OKC. We could buy a pick from them and pass it on to the Cavs or another team for a future pick. Maybe take Dakari Johnson off their hands (total waste of money) as well. Then trade Anderson to them with cash after the moratorium while getting then to forward Melo to Cleveland for a buyout.

Watch for all or a lot of our cash to go out and watch to see if Cleveland pr OKC wind up with it.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If Bazemore can replace Ryno, I'm all for it. I hope that's what you are implying. Ariza went 0-12, but he is still valuable. I hope he will take less money to stay in Houston.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

one thing i don't like about replacing ariza with bazemore when playing GS is that ariza has several inches reach over baze, which allows him to cover KD. otherwise i'm all for dumping ryno's contract this way

saleem likes this.