1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast - The Dwight Howard Trade Aftermath

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 13, 2012.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Oh come on. I was in no way actively wishing for a player to get hurt. I was stating that scenario as the one where Martin could be moved for value in return. Big expiring contracts don't carry a quarter of the appeal that they used to. For Morey to have an actively interested trade partner, someone will have to be dealing with a SG injury and want Martin as a rental, a la the Rafer trade to Orlando.

It used to be, you KNEW that a washed up guy making stupid money was going to be involved in a blockbuster (Wally Z, Raef LaFrentz, etc). Since the luxury tax came along, large* expiring contracts have lost luster. Teams don't want to pay someone high dollars for no return, even for a few months. In the tax environment, it's become all about the TE.

When Denver was dealing Carmelo, that was a large sticking point. Morey was pushing his large expirings, Denver wanted NOTHING to do with them - in the end, they rerouted the NY expiring contracts to get a TE.

Climate has changed from 6-7 years ago.

* double digit millions

2. zzpot

zzpot Member

^^^^This ...

My parlay on your Theory, which was mine all along, is that Morey and Les are sharp guys. How could they all of a sudden change stripes (colors) and not throw up Red Flags if they decided to GUT the team to the bone without the huge prize of a Dwightmare trade.

This none trade takes Morey and Owner Les off the hook to gut the team and tank without tanking. Also getting Lin just gave us national TV time that we have not had sense Yao went down. Last year Morey was shot down on the trade for Pau Gasol and this year he went for DH.. whats the prob.

WE are in the tank mode lots of people have screamed about on the BBS for years and Daryl Morey and Les Alexander pulled it off with more TV time in one year.

On top of that we have 4 new rookies to root for and bytch about playing time..LOL Lets play T-wills... lets fire RA... lol.

Life on the BBS is going to be good this year watching fools scream, bytch, and moan, about this team and the couching this season..

I may just troll some fools this year...LOL:eek::););):p:grin::grin:

Thanks for your post AusFan

zzpot:cool:

3. zzpot

zzpot Member

the podcast was too long and should be more broken up

4. zzpot

zzpot Member

I hope that Clutch will do a great deal more of these podcasts... but he and his guest need to stick to one or 2 things and not coment on the whole thing... whatever that "thing" is at one time. keep them to 25 minutes at a time is all

Also Clutch needs to take live feedback at some point... IM's and things like that..

Not sure how that would work.. But we do have a chat room... and podcasts can be streamed slow or skyped

just an Idea as a thought about a new thing called ClutchFansRadio..

zzopt.

5. scola4

scola4 Member

Maybe I'm late on this so I didn't want to create a new thread but are the 20 players under contract:*Lin, Douglas, Livingston, Fortson,*Martin, Delfino, Lamb,*Parsons, White, Morris, S. Williams, Forbes, Simpson,*Patterson, Motiejunas, Jones, Johnson, Asik, Smith, and Brockman
    And machado is a camp invite

Is that right?

6. Gri

Gri Member

Like the King of Pop said: This is it.

Lakers GM convinced Magic GM to pull SHAQ v2.0. We should send The Godfather DVD set to Morey; maybe he'll learn something.

7. Raven

Raven Member

If you are a small market team, and you want to win a championship, you need a smart GM, the patience to tank, and a bit of luck on your side. No one said it was easy, but the odds are better than what Morey's been trying to do since he took over.

8. Rocketman1234

Rocketman1234 Member

Goran is NOT better than lin right now..if you watched jeremy play, you will see that he is very good. The most you can say is that they are similar. However, lin has more upside. Goran started 28 games last season and averaged similar stats to lin, under less pressure and attention. Lin started 25 games in the largest media market, on americas watch. Dragic is getting 34 mill, lin is getting 25 mill..thats not the same money

9. Rocketman1234

Rocketman1234 Member

tanking doesn't win championships! If it does, teams like the bobcats and sacramento won't be perennial lottery teams

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

To Clutch and anyone that was involved in that podcast production:

Impressive. That lead-in piece was well put together. Of course I have to say this, if we did draft Harold Miner, the Rockets would have 3-peated. Horry was not nearly as important as Chucky Brown.

11. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I think d12 to LA has less to do with LA's gm and more to do with Dwight (and everyone else) only wanting to go to LA. I don't really blame them because I would love to live in LA too. It just sucks for almost every city not named LA (and a few others).

12. bozo

bozo Contributing Member

If anyone heard Charles Barkley interview on Dan Patrick. He was questioning the long term health of both Dwight Howard ( back) and Andrew Bynum (micro-fracture/knees), based on their surgery history; did not believe either was worth what was given up to get them.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wait a minute, there's something illogical about that last statement. If Bynum was damaged goods and Howard was damaged goods, how was what LA gave up not worth it? At worst it's a wash for LA under Chuck's rational.

14. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

The one and only franchise that has had success with tanking comes to my mind is OKC. And by virtue of their tanking they destroyed their fanbase in Seattle which was the primary cited reason behind the move to Oklahoma.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Spurs------ Duncan
    Rockets--- Olajuwon, Sampson
    Knicks------Ewing

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Spurs: Robinson, Duncan

Cavs: LeBron

Rockets: Olajuwon, Sampson

Hornets: Anthony Davis

Bucks: Lew Alcindor/KAJ

Knicks: Ewing

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's a lot like pointing to 5 powerball winners and saying buying lottery tickets is the sure-fire way to millions, right?

The problem with tanking is that the biggest factor will always be luck. You have to be lucky to get the top pick, and be lucky that the top pick happens to be a franchise talent. Then you have to be lucky that the franchise talent doesn't become too good too soon, else he'll leave you after some time to go to the bright lights of LA/NY.

So IMHO tanking will never be a viable strategy to become a contender, because by virtue of being so dependent on luck you throw all strategy out of the window. People always point out OKC as the "right way" to rebuild but that team is composed of multiple top lottery picks. Not only that, majority of the play off success they've had was dependent on KD establishing himself as the 2nd best SF (and probably 2nd best player) on the planet. If the Blazers hadn't messed up and chosen KD instead of Oden, what kind of results would OKC get running around with just Harden, WB and Ibaka? Would their GM still be hailed as a genius? Or would he be seen as Kahn 2.0, still unable to build a great product even with multiple lottery picks at his disposal?

18. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Good post and i agree but hope your wrong.

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

So what would you suggest?

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Accumulating assets through trades like the Lowry trade. Sign a free agent to replace Lowry, trade him for a lottery pick or a future first that could become a lottery pick. Keep moving assets forward to keep accumulating more assets, until you can win the lottery on somebody else's dime, kinda like the Lakers did with Magic Johnson years ago.