1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Taking a look at Omer Asik Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 19, 2013.

1. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Good points. Asik had a chance to be a champion in Chicago too. He would have to realize it on his own, that he is a key to a championship.

2. doggoneit

doggoneit Member

Should we offer Asik and Lin to New York for Melo? The Knicks are imploding... Asik and Lin give them a chance to start rebuilding.

Dwight
    Melo
    Parsons
    Harden
    Beverley

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Doubt they would trade Melo. And if they did, it would be for young players and picks, not Asik and Lin (who are more complimentary pieces anyways). If the Knicks take a guy like Asik, it's to pair with Melo. Of course, they have nothing of value to offer.

Given that Jones seems to be coming into his own, we may not need a Millsap or Illyasova, (even though I'd gladly take them).

Could we possibly trade Asik for a backup center and a decent draft pick?

4. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

People must remember that Asik is Dwight insurance.

Dwight is a very expensive asset and it is only natural that he gets covered with expensive insurance. (coverage against: 1. injury, 2. foul trouble, etc.)

Trading Asik is not the ultimate solution.

This Asik situation simply just needs to be managed better, a few paradigm shifts here and there would be nice. McHale has to step up as a motivational coach, and get this valuable piece on-board. (Losing Asik is the price you pay for having a non-inspiring coach, not for having Dwight take most of the minutes at C.)

5. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

But if we must, the only trade option that I like would be with Atlanta. And no, not for Paul Millsap (we already got TJones man..)

I would target young legit talent and of course a back up center replacement.

Would go for:

1. Dennis Schroeder - Rajon Rondo of the future with scoring ang shooting ability (most important piece)
    2. Lucas Nogueira (draft rights) - center for the future
    3. Gustavo Ayon or Pero Antic - backup C replacement, Ayon is an active, mobile, great instincts type, Antic is a rugged, stretch/shooter type of big man.
    4. with/without a draft pick.

6. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

Fantastic job guys! The people want MORE!

7. N/A

N/A Member

Funny how the trade machine says Lin will give the C's 9+ wins while getting Rondo will have the opposite effect. If Rondo comes over, he'll have to have the ball. You'll just have the same problem as last year only this time you can't separate Rondo and Harden by putting one on the bench...
    Terrible trade for the Rockets. They've got a good thing going, best not to mess it up. Now if only Asik would stay...
    Sidenote: I don't see Harden willing to give up the ball after he's tasted freedom since coming over from OKC. I also don't see him and Howard to give up the "superstar spotlight" they've gained in Houston. Methinks this is mostly the reason they wanted Lin to remain so that they're the stars. Only Paul/Durant would give them pause to reconsider.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I like what Jones and Casspi are doing at the 4 right now, and I like having the best backup center in the league. 18 minutes a night out of Asik and insurance against a Dwight injury seems like a valuable role to me. I think we should keep him until the trade deadline in Feb. the way Jones is playing right now ...why mess with that?

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Thanks guys, great stuff as always.

Gotta wonder if the Rockets have started looking at different options since the emergence of T Jones?

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

FWIW:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/11/high_price_of_rajon_rondo

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The problem is that Asik could become a cancer on this team if he's forced to stick around and play 12-18 minutes a night and winds up pouting all the time. Plus the time to trade him is now before he gets a huge bump in pay next year. And on top of that, he's a great asset(and we all know Morey loves those assets) to add depth and/or draft picks.

I do think given the play of T-Jones that the Rockets should consider moving Asik for the best deal out there and no longer obsess over getting a starting 4(who can back up Dwight at the 5) in return. You figure by the time they trade him, it'll be after 12/15 and T-Jones will have had over a month in the starting lineup. So we'll know for sure by then if this 4-game stretch was a fluke or the dude's legit.

What this team really needs is a swingman who can back up Harden and Parsons. Someone who can knock down the 3 and D up. Especially with Garcia struggling the way he is.

12. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Oh hell no. No Melo. Wait, trading melo from New york and I get Asik and Lin back? Get it done Morey. *long suffering Knicks fan*

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I can agree that McHale isn't much of a coach---great guy, teacher, but not a coach.

But if "Omer Asik on the Rockets" is stencilled on the side of the ship. It's about to cast off its mooring lines and will sail on the tide. No stopping it. And they'll re-christen it at its next berth, wherever that might be. (OK, time to stop the bad metaphors.)

I do like some ideas here, if it could happen (which, of course, being in win-now mode, it won't happen). Nogueira for next year, Schroeder was a target this year, maybe use Elton Brand's contract to even things out somewhere, etc etc.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Blazers are 9-2 but no one truly thinks they're contenders.

The Rockets have played 5 games against possible playoff teams and have won once. The single win coming against the Knicks without Tyson Chandler.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Odd, you don't consider the Blazers, Mavericks, and Raptors (1/2 game back of Philly) possible playoff teams, but you count Philly and Lakers as possible playoff teams.

16. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Knee Jerk statistics. Like they say, "there are lie, damn lies, and then there are statistics". This is a good example of why they say that.

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Late to the party...

Great podcast as usual Clutch/Bima! Every time you two do a podcast it's like entering a state of nirvana! We are definitely getting spoiled by these podcasts, thanks for " giving us what we want"...:grin:

It's amazing what Morey & Lady luck have done to the Rockets! It seems like we are a million miles away, from being one of the ugly ducklings of the NBA! It feels like we are constantly in the middle of the dance floor and every hot babe in the party is within arms reach! We took Lin from NY, Howard from LA, Asik from Chicago and stole Harden from OKC, and every one of those cities was left crying! How sweet it is...:grin:

GO ROCKETS!!!!

18. James88

James88 Member

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

hooroo hates lin so much he doesn't think any team even in close proximity to us (dallas) can make the playoffs ;)

20. AggNRox

AggNRox Member