1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Taking a look at Omer Asik Trade Possibilities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 19, 2013.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

But - - Lin might be in the equation for a 3rd member of TheBigThree*?
    *+ CP25. Of course.

2. Hous-TO-n

Hous-TO-n Member

But they can clear out the contract in one year
    pretty good for a team who will rebuild
    Lin and Asik's contract only bound the next year

3. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

So is it a forgone conclusion that Asik will be traded?

What if we kept him despite his objections to being a backup? If we upgraded in other areas, which put us in serious contention for a championship, wouldn’t that make everyone happy?

Do you think Asik would still object to being a backup if we were winning championships?

4. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I agree the Wallac contract is bad but not for Boston. Boston is in rebuilding mode and in the NBA there is now a salary cap minimum you must meet. If they trade Rondo, they won't have much salary left. By the time they get competitive and want to sign high profile FAs, Wallace's contract will be up or near the "expiring contract" range. So, yes, they are paying Wallace that much money, but it doesn't hurt the team in a salary cap/player acquisition sense, so there is little point to pay 1st round picks (cheap talent/players) to get rid of that contract.

5. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

How do you want to improve other areas without moving Asik?
    Rockets pick is not that valuable, and D-Mo, TJones won't produce much either.

The only other option is hoping someone gets cut and you can get them with the MLE, but I don't know how much that will help.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Because teams watch tape. Can this guy adjust? See: Miner, Harold. Millions of others. Some guys do, they stay in the League. And get paid.

December 15th is so far away yet I hope 'we' can wait because I, too, would love to see what 'we' have with TJo/DMo.

7. caneks

caneks Rookie

Why would anyone think Ryan Anderson is a good fit here? IMO, He shouldn't see many minutes in any good team even off the bench. He is a big downgrade for Asik if the FO plans for the trade. I won't like to have him in this team for free.

8. eman

eman Contributing Member

9. 713KLP

713KLP Member

Houston: Ilyasova (MIL), Withey (NO)

Depth Chart:
    PG: Beverley | Lin | Brooks
    SG: Harden | Garcia | Brewer
    SF: Parsons | Casspi
    PF: Ilyasova | Jones | Montiejunas
    C: Howard | Smith | Withey

Why the Rockets do it?
    - Clear frontcourt clutter.
    - Acquire a young, proven stretch Forward.
    - Acquire a young, defensive-minded backup Center.
    - Gain more traditional rotations.

Milwaukee: Evans (NO), Amundson (NO), 2nd Round Pick (HOU)

Depth Chart:
    PG: Evans | Knight | Wolters
    SG: Mayo | Neal | Antetokounmpo
    SF: Butler | Middleton | Delfino
    PF: Henson | Udoh | Amundson
    C: Sanders | Pachulia

Why the Bucks do it?
    - Clear frontcourt clutter.
    - Acquire a young, starter-caliber Guard/Forward.
    - Acquire a backup Forward/Center.
    - Acquire a pick.

New Orleans: Asik (HOU), Luke Ridnour (MIL)

Depth Chart:
    PG: Holiday | Ridnour | Roberts
    SG: Gordon | Morrow | Rivers
    SF: Aminu | Miller | Childress
    PF: Davis | Anderson
    C: Asik | Smith | Stiemsma

Why the Pelicans do it?
    - Clear back court clutter.
    - Acquire a top 5 defensive and rebounding Center.
    - Acquire a veteran Point Guard.
    - Move Davis to his natural position.

10. verysimplejason

The picks are for rebuilding. It will be harder to build witout the picks. I think at most, Rockets will have 1 pick for this to materialize.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Pau - I wouldn't, especially since it didn't work last year.
    Milsap - Absolutely would, I think he is the bets player of all of them.
    Ersan - I would, I think he fits the best but the contract I don't like.
    Anderson - I don't know why but I just don't want Anderson, also contract too long.
    Rondo - Ehh, maybe if he comes back without any hints of slowdown I would consider it in the offseason. Probably costs Jones or Dmo though, then who is our PF?

Thanks for the podcasts though!

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Bima, one thing.

Can't a team pay up to 25% of their salary prior to october 1, such as Lin or Asik could have a pay schedule that greatly mitigates the actual dollar impact difference between the cap and actual amounts?

People talk about the cap/dollar implications, but payment schedules are vastly easier to navigate than cap limitations.

#72 Aleron, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Arenas Rule contracts (like Asik's and Lin's) are structured the way they are expressly BECAUSE teams are not permitted to front-load such contracts in order to steal them away from their former teams. The contract cannot, BY RULE, pay the player more than $5 million in Year 1 or more than $5.225 million in Year 2.

Therefore, unless the Rockets wait until some time into the 2014-15 regular season to trade Asik (highly unlikely at this point), the payment structure of the balloon payment is irrelevant here.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Good podcast .... really wish you guy's would have talked about some of the players that we haven't been talking about for weeks on end with Anderson & Milsap .... There's quite a few others like McRoberts , Hawes , Bass (Boston) , maybe even a guy like Boozer could be in the conversation.

15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Don't mind any trade just as long as we have some scoring punch off the bench, right now Mr. Lin is our bench besides Casspi chucking up threes...

16. oddjob142

oddjob142 Member

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

since jones and dmo have proven to be real contributors, unless we get an all star PF we don't need those other options. jones is younger, cheaper, and a better defender/rebounder than anyone on that list, plus he can hit the 3 to spread the floor. dmo is a legit post option, which by the way, we don't have on this team. and he can rebound, face up, and spread the floor and isn't bad on defense. again, unless its an all-star PF i wouldn't bring in other guys to steal their minutes to give us the same production at a higher cost.

i love beverley's defense and lin's offense off the bench too. again, the only way i would consider moving either is if we bring in an all-star. rondo i would consider. bad fit or not he's a top level talent that you take when you have the chance to do so.

besides that, i doubt we get a lotto pick in the draft. i'd rather just convince omer to stay. all we really need on this team is a good backup center.

18. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TxoL3uQbPoc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think they come down some, but I think his 3 pt shot is legit based on last half last season. He's shooting less midrange. One oddity is that he is scoring opportunities in transition have been nearly cut in half from last season as a Rockets are more diliberate this season. I don't think his percentage in paint is sustainable, but if he can get his opportunities on transition increased, it may mitigate the drop a little.

I expect he'll be the player we expected last season, except with a better 3pt shot.

20. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

Great work Bima and Clutch! Give the people what they want!!! More podcasts, that was good.