1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast - Robbing The Kings of T-Rob

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 22, 2013.

1. basketballholic

I would think TJones should spend the rest of the year at RGV cleaning up and increasing his trade value...unless there is an injury to DMo or TRob.

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

True enough.... then I'd say you have to factor in 6M in non guaranteed contract money for Garcia that can be shipped out (to help match salaries) - which the receiving team can then renounce (in a salary dump).... Given the luxury tax hit next season - that in and of itself is a great asset to have....

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Clutch, I wouldn't say we robbed them of T-Rob even though it is a catchy title. :grin:

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Jones will stay with Rockets unless they acquire a big man rental to end season. Rockets sent out three big men at deadline and only got one back.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Garcia's contract is not "non-guaranteed salary" for next season. The Rockets only have a team option on him. They presumably have until June 30 to exercise it (although that date may be adjusted pursuant to the terms of Garcia's particular contract). Players whose team options have not yet been exercised are ineligible to be traded prior to July 1. Since they almost definitely will NOT pay Garcia $6.4 million next season, and since the trade deadline has already passed, the Rockets will not be trading Garcia. They will just let him go after the season, with only a slight chance that they bring him back as a veteran free agent at a smaller salary (likely the league minimum).

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

bummer.... THANKS for the clarification!

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Loved it.

DD

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I have wondered if FG might get an audition to be a vet minimum replacement for CDF? Or just a similar priced replacement with a trade of Carlos, he of the multitude of 3s and more expressions.