1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: On the Game 1 loss and Houston’s dwindling bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 15, 2018.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Vivi, tinman, mikol13 and 6 others like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

KD the Untouchable .. . . bother him in anyway and it is a foul

Rocket River

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nothing lazy about that. ;)

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Non BackCourt call was a 5 point Swing
    The Phantom Foul where Tucker stole the ball from KD and was off to the races. . . .then a 5 second late foul call . . .. was a 4 point swing

Both of those happened in the 4th . . . . total momentum swings

Rocket River

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

It’s still a lazy take. When you don’t have to work for your shot at all, it makes things a little easier... James Harden had just as good of an offensive game, while having to deal with the defenses full attention. We could take KD out of his game if we doubled, trapped, or try to deny the ball from him. You just can’t do that against GS because of Steph and Klay.

So yes, saying that KD is by far the best offensive player in the game is a lazy take. And it’s laughable to double down on that take after Harden has more points on 3 less shots and more assists against the defenses full attention.

heypartner, BigMaloe and Lawlruschang like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed. The HELP clause matters

What LeBron is doing this year is FAR FAR GREATER than anything KD has done
    Harden to a lesser extent.

Give a Healthy Kyrie and Hayward then put LeBron on the Celtics. . . . . . do the Golden State Warriors win that series?? Is it even close?

Rocket River

BigMaloe and JMAD21 like this.
  7. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

There were calls against GSW, too. Durant got fouled shooting a 3 but only got 2 FTs. And Tucker's play was a foul, just a late whistle.

We didn't lose because of the refs.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

AIDS patient don't die of AIDS .. but it is a contributing factor
    Yes the Durant call should have been 3 free throws . . . Harden Rule

Rocket River

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

In hindsight, Capela should've been encouraged to become more dirty and physical with Draymond after that first tech. I don't think he's been taught that kind of down low big man game.

It's like everyone bakes in his first tech, refs and team included, because we've seen games where he explodes after it.

This time he was allowed to pin down Clint against the lob without calls. Pissing him off all game would've put more spotlight on his antics and help us regain the mismatch.

lw17 and BigMaloe like this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly maybe the Rockets need to invade Klay, KD and Curry's landing space like ZaZa did Kawhi
    Not under them but very close. . .close enough to make them worry

Rocket River

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Everyone knows he WILL NOT be thrown out

Rocket River

pippendagimp likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Gotta force the issue. In their last series, he jawed with Rondo one game and then the team adjusted. That's still one win.

Right now, Draymond is their floor general that tells the team to wake up and not let up. He relies on the feel of the game and his gut more than anyone else on their roster. That tech on Harden was to set the tone with the team.

If he's their alarm clock, then make it so the team ignores him and adjust. He's not crazy ol' Draymond right now. He's more like their drill sergeant.

In any case, putting more attention on him will allow people to call him out on the sneaky plays he still gets away with.

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's only so much the Rockets can do so I think it's important not to get to frustrated with a team that won 65 games. They are a very good team and at some point you just have to recognize how good GS is - I mean, people say they may be the best in history for the reason.

And they look like the best in history. Last night they showed why.

But I wouldn't completely count out the Rockets yet. MDA knows how to make adjustments.

Stone Cold Hakeem likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think one takeaway I have this year regarding "bench depth" is that "regular season bench depth" is not the same as "playoffs bench depth."
    When the level of competition picks up in the playoffs, there a certain types of bench players that can't "raise their game" to playoff atmosphere. So the depth is a bit of fools gold.

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Good podcast, just what I saw yesterday...

On defense, I would double KD, stick to others, and leave Green alone. Have him shoot threes or try to run to basket and maybe Capella can defend a couple of baskets

On offense, we need movement...standing in a corner and waiting to shoot a three will not get us anywhere..we need to move, with or without the ball.

We need to keep them guessing and move totally out of our comfort zone. Last night no adjustments were made...atleast I havent seen any

Gordon Ariza and Tucker need to start shooting early...its better to have Harden heat up late in 3rd and in 4th.

They played some great defense on CP3, he must play better and take more mid range shots...

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

C'mon RR. The ball was in KDs hands all game and he shot 6 FTs... I don't think any till the second half.

Right. Don't forget about the Draymond foul on the backcourt screen that was just a legal screen. Think the Rockets got a 3 off that possession.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Still pissed that Tuck got called after that rip

Rocket River

18. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

Also, you're saying 4 point, 5 point swings like we were guaranteed 2 points. In reality, one cost us 3 and one cost 2.

Again, we didn't lose because of officials. It's okay to admit that.

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I agree with @JMAD21

Not that MKBower is lazy, but that Durant isn’t the best offensive player.

Best shot maker, sure I can agree there, but best offensive player I strongly disagree. I don’t even think he’s the best offensive player on his team.

There’s more to offense than being able to shoot over guys and make difficult shots.

Great podcast as always @Clutch

JMAD21 likes this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and it is ok to admit that it didn't help

Rocket River