1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Dwight Howard's a Rocket, is LaMarcus Aldridge next?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 15, 2013.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Beverley/Harden/Parsons/Aldridge/Howard

Sorry, that would decimate Miami. We would be much better than them.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Everything changed the day we got Harden. We became a premier destinations to free agents.

We're going to get our third while keeping Parsons :cool:

3. ras.supreme

ras.supreme New Member

New twitter campaign?

4. Aaron_D

Aaron_D Member

That was hysterical.

5. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch, your like my crack dealer! ;)

The only thing that sways me away from keeping Lin/Asik is that Asik
    will not be content on being a backup to Howard and might bolt when
    his contract expires. If the team gels and ends up winning the championship
    this season, well that MIGHT have an effect on Asik and he might reconsider
    staying, but that's a long shot.

#86 BamBam, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And people thought Portland wouldn't trade LMA.....he was on his way out the moment Lillard became a ROY candidate.

8. Miracles Boys33

Didn't LMA say he didn't wanna play with a team thats tanking?

9. conquistador#11

to get portland to do a trade, you're going to have to give them a cheap contract to pair up with asik/jones/demo, if you throw in the second coming of gary payton in Bev, they'd definitely give us lamarcus. that's what teams want, cheap and H.O.F ability.

Dwight/smith
    lamarcus/free agent.
    parsons/harden
    harden/lull
    lin/toy cannan

10. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I definitely wouldn't be upset if we got LMA, but would there be enough basketballs to go around? I feel like Harden/Howard are going to be fighting for the ball enough already. Plus, would we be able to re-sign Parsons?

11. herro

herro Member

I love Aldridge. I'd welcome him for certain. But part of me really wants to see what a front court of Howard, Asik, Jones, and D-Mo develops into.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Grammar police! The word you were looking for would be content. :grin:

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

So does this rumor have anything more to it than the Rockets trading for Josh Smith or Ryan Anderson? It's hard not to be skeptical.

14. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Someone's numbers will drop significantly but I think that just comes with the territory. I feel like those guys are level headed enough to know that's just what happens. Or at least I would hope so. If I were to bet on it I would say LMA would be the one to sacrifice his stats.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

In an ideal world, most of Dwight's touches will be on the pick and roll getting easy looks under the basket. You can run a few sets for him to keep him happy and get the ball down low, but his strength will always be moving toward the basket rather than posting up. LMA would provide a great shot and a good low post option.

Salary would become an issue (ex: going into next year, LMA + Dwight + Harden would be around $53 million alone, then you have to re-sign LMA and Parsons in 2015 so I'd say that goes up to about $63 mil for 4 players).

But, we can go over the cap to re-sign Parson. Still, it limits what you can do with the rest of the roster (like Miami)...but I think Morey would be up to the challenge.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

No.

17. jrett121

jrett121 Member

LMA's mid-range jumper is nasty and would spread the floor for Dwight. Most importantly, he can play big minutes with Dwight, while Asik can't -- two bigs that have no game outside 5 feet will clog the lane and let defenses cheat.

18. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

That's a pretty damn nice line-up but you forgot Cisco.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Great Podcast! You can really tell how excited you guys are. Right now I can not get enought Rockets talk.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

They BIG key to getting LeMarcus Aldridge is Aldridge BULLYING his way out of Portland.

LA has to say "I am LEAVING" in the summer of 2015 when I am a UFA and you can get something for me now, or let me walk. Not only that, I am LEAVING for Houston.

In the meantime, all Houston has to do, is make sure they KEEP their cap room situation in check which they have set up to do with Asik and Lin coming off the books.

At 2014 Trade Deadline Rockets can offer Asik+Jones (or D-Mo) + 2014 1st + 2016 1st. Parsons is NOT available in this scenario. Something like that. Now, is that the BEST deal Portland can get? Maybe not. BUT, and this is the key here, if LA says "I am going to Houston" then any team that trades for him, will be leery to get up BIG ASSETS if he can WALK when he is a UFA in 2015. (Just like what Howard did going to Houston).

So, Portland's "best deal" might be what the Rockets offer, as long as it is somewhat competitive.

But this ALL hinges around Aldridge PUSHING ONLY to go to Houston. He has to meet Houston half way to make this happen and FORCE the Blazer's hand.

Now we can all root for the Blazers having a crappy season to get the ball rolling.

2 people like this.