1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Dwight Howard's a Rocket, is LaMarcus Aldridge next?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 15, 2013.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think the fallout from Dwight signing here will lead to fewer teams being willing to do what the Lakers did last summer and trade for a star with one year left. I mean, they're the freaking Lakers, and they had an extra $30 million... and it still wasn't enough. Think about that. Teams are going to be very, very hesitant to give fair value in a trade unless they have strong indications the player will re-sign.

I remember several whispers over All-Star weekend of Aldridge telling people he wanted to be here. Obviously his Texas connections are deep, and we're one of the true destinations now. If he holds firm on Houston or bust, there's a good chance we can make it happen. For Portland, a package centered around Lin/Asik/picks is probably better value than what other teams would offer without a guarantee. It's also better than anything they could hope for, S&T-wise, when they're mostly without leverage.

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

4. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

#23 is a retired number... It was the # of Calvin Murphy.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Damn, you are correct, can't believe I forgot about that. Having LaMarcus decide on a new number would be a great problem to have lol.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

MJ: Sounds like Rockets players were putting the bug in (Dwight's) ear back then but we also heard LaMarcus Aldridge at the all-star game saying he'd love to play in Houston and this is a place he'd like to be. All the talk before the draft about LaMarcus Aldridge wanting to play in Chicago but there was some pretty interesting buzz that he'd love to be down here as well.

Meh. Speculation. :p

7. eomor131

eomor131 Member

hard to choose!
    Oh LMA!

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

My dream team.

9. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if he gets traded to Houston, he'll pick #15, the former number of Toney Douglas.

10. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

It'll definitely be all about timing, as mentioned in the podcast. If the blazers lose quite a bit and tempers flare up in the organization (as is what's expected to happen), a trade deadline trade is very possible. In fact, I think we would be able to get more back (or give less) at the deadline than if we traded for him outright now.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A couple notes:

1. From a salary standpoint, all you need to match LMA's money under the 150% rule is ONE of Lin or Asik, plus roughly $1.31M in contracts. So, the issue is really giving Portland enough in talents and assets and not salary matching, which would take care of itself easily.

2. Portland and owner Paul Allen have a tendency to refuse to rebuild until the signs make it look like absolutely neccessary. They waited even on the Jailblazers to turn itself around with Randolph and Miles for a few years. They tried to patch up the team after losing Roy and Oden with vets like Gerald Wallace, Wes Matthews and Camby until that "core" blew itself up-- fired Rich Cho because he advised tanking. So, even an 8th seed/.500 ball kind of season might cause them to "stay the course."

So we better hope that things look really bleak for them right off the bat.

2 people like this.
  12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If somehow we pulled off LMA without losing Parson, I wouldn't know what say other than the sports gods are paying us back for all the wrongs that have been done not only to the rockets, but the astros and oilers also. This season would make up for the Buffalo Bills comeback.

1 person likes this.
  13. Raven

Raven Member

He has two years left which means they must move him by the deadline in 2015, but his value decreases every month they hold onto him.

14. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I think LMA would be a great match for this team and one of the players high on Morey's list of targets. I do think LMA wants out of Portland and recognizes Houston is an attractive option. I did do a quick google search and all I could find we're reports he's interested in Dallas.

His contract is:
    2013/14 = 14,100,000
    2014/15 = 15,200,000

With the 150% salary matching rule, we would have trade at least $9.5m of salaries going out if it's done by this deadline.

I doubt Lin would get traded because:
    1) they have lillard
    2) of his balloon payment next year (coupled with Asik's for a franchise that really can't afford it)

I think Asik is definitely in the trade. Portland will probably want Parsons and a first rounder too (if they are rebuilding). A third player will need to be thrown in to make the numbers work, maybe Smith.

So just taking a guess, if it happens at all, it might look like this:

Asik + Parsons + Smith + 2014 first rounder = $10m

for

LaMarcus Aldridge = $14.1m

Our Line-up:

Lin
    Harden
    Garcia
    Aldridge
    Howard

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It would take T.Jones or D-Mo having somewhat of a breakout year to get it done IMO. We could package Asik, Lin, Jones/Dmo, 1st rd pick. Would probably have to find a 3rd team for Lin though that could send something else to Portland because they don't need him at this point.

I think it's inevitable that LMA gets traded. The question is, who will be available first, him or Love? A Dwight/Love frontcourt makes me drool.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It works. Throw in some picks and lezdoit.

[​IMG]

Disclaimer: Yes, I know. I know. But... still.

17. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

12 - Howard
    13 - Harden
    14 - Haldridge ( The H is silent)

4 people like this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I doubt it happens and I'm really not sure I'd want to give up Asik. I'm HIGHLY enamored with the idea of Asik and Howard on the team giving 48 elite defensive minutes.

If there was a way to make a move that included Lin and talent+draft picks going out in some way, sure, I'd be all for it. I just don't see Portland having any interest in Lin and I don't see a 3 way trade out there either.

But who knows. Maybe a 3 team trade with Charlotte?

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

after all the work parsons did he isnt going anywhere

i would expect portland to want Terrence Jones or D-Mo back

20. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

If that went over your head, look who currently has 21 and what number he had last season. ;)