1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Dwight Howard's a Rocket, is LaMarcus Aldridge next?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Like any three way communication, a **** load of phone calls

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

The bottom line is Portland will want:

a) a long term solution at PF or C (Asik)
    b) cap relief (up to $4-5 million in 2013 and 2014)
    c) young talent (one or two of DMo, TJones, Beverley)
    d) quality draft picks

We can provide all but "d". Need to find someone willing to throw in either another talented young player or a good draft pick in return for a player not named Harden, Howard or Parsons. If Morey can get that done, then LMA is a Rocket by the trade deadline, assuming Portland is out of playoff contention.

3. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I think Boston has the most picks over next there years. maybe give then some
    piece to
    help in rebuild process and they throw some
    picks to
    Portland

4. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I understand all though he did disappear for us in the playoffs when we needed him. All I'm saying Lin got the contract based on that, and now that we got Howard he's gona have less of an opportunity to prove it, he is gona be a tough sell.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure why I haven't seen this suggested yet. Seems to make sense for everyone involved-

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jw43edr

-The Hornets have been rumored to be shopping Gordon for some time now, and now with the Tyreke Evans signing, it seems more than apparent that they aren't counting on Gordon being around much longer, or they were preparing for an EXTREMELY high priced insurance policy in Evans.

Getting Asik for Gordon is about as good of a deal they are going to find unless they are higher on Varejao which I would doubt given his health concerns.

-For Portland they get one of the top young playmaking guards in the league in exchange for their veteran star that wants out anyways. Gordon(if healthy) & Lillard would make a very potent backcourt for years to come.

The only question here is whether or not Portland wants to gamble on a player that has some injury history. However, all of his injuries in the past have been mostly freak (Kevin Martin-like) injuries due to drawing too much contact in the paint. Non of his injuries have been chronic or should cause too much concern if Portland does their homework.

For Houston, Getting Aldridge for Asik is a no-brainer. 3rd All-Star who fits perfectly next to Howard & Harden. Also, he's got the size to stagger his minutes with Howard at the Center postion when Howard is on the bench.

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

hmm...

7. dobro1229

Go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back. I do like this trade for everyone involved though. Just makes a ton of sense for everyone.

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Agreed, great minds think alike!

9. CertifiedTroll

I would love LMA but I think we will have to sell our souls to get him. I hope DMor finds a cheaper but effecient solution.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't see where Eric Gordon fits with Portland when they just drafted Lilliard and McCollumn in back to back drafts. Guards on rookie deals.

11. dobro1229

McCollumn (as much as I like him honestly) hasn't proven anything yet on the NBA level. He's probably a few years away from contributing and we have no idea if he's going to end up with star talent, or just as a good rotational guard.

If Portland is looking for a high potential or proven young star player in a LMA deal that doesn't put Lillard on the bench, I still dont see a better fit (with the players that look to be available) than Gordon.

Maybe Beal, KlayThompson, or Cousins become available, but I just dont see a deal making sense right now that is able to be constructed cap wise.

Here are Portland's choices (assuming Gordon could be had)

-Look to move LMA for just picks, cap space, and un-proven talent (prospects like say... Motiejunas)

-Take back another veteran or two making higher salaries. Plugs some holes, but doesn't help the team build a young foundation for future

-Let LMA's value diminish in the next year where they will be forced to move him for next to NOTHING since he will be leaving for free agency the next year.

-Or you take a gamble on a proven young star talent like Gordon with a few injury concerns. If it doesn't work out, then oh well, you aren't in any worse of a position financially than had you stuck with LMA, and you are slightly worse which makes your draft postion better.

If it works out and he stays healthy, you have one of the most potent exciting young backcourt rotations in the entire NBA. The upside is you have a backcourt you can build a team around for the future.

IMO, I think this might be the best deal for them assuming they can stomach the injury concerns.

12. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

McCollum will win Roy

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

A few years away? I think they expect him to contribute THIS season. They'll certainly know soon enough.

14. dobro1229

Expect or hope? I think McCollumn is as good as anyone in this years draft, but lets be realistic. Even last year Anthony Davis as a clear cant-miss #1 pick, still showed that he had some development needed to be a foundational player.

Even if Portland thinks that McCollumn will have a coming out party in his rookie year and will look like a future stud guard here in the future, what better young talent is out there, how will you get a deal together that makes sense, and how would they be a better fit for this team moving forward????

15. nykb17

nykb17 Member

How about his 3 way trade?

This 3 way trade would be nice for all parties...

Houston sends - Asik, Lin, Greg Smith
    Houston receives - LaMarcus Aldridge

NY sends - Tyson Chandler
    NY receives - Asik, Lin

Portland sends - LaMarcus Aldridge
    Portland receives - Tyson Chandler, Greg Smith

I think this helps everybody involved. Might have to add 1 more piece going to Portland to make Portland happy.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Why on Earth would Portland do that? Insane.

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Portland would want some picks with that. you are valuing greg smith too highly here.

18. joe101

joe101 Member

Having LMA, or any max player for that matter, means the big-3 would chew up almost the entire cap space, leaving less than $20M including all exceptions to fill the roster before incurring luxury tax. I don't think any team outside of LA and NY can afford it. I'll believe it only when I see it.

And, unless Lebron is on your big-3, there's no guarantee to win it all. Even Miami is on its last legs with the big-3. If the Indianas and the San Antonios are any indication, a Harden and Howard plus a solid cast may just be enough.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

LOL! Swapping either Lin or Asik for LMA would not get the Rockets into luxury tax. The Rockets would still have about 3 million in space before hitting the tax. Morey has been careful on not get role players on bad contracts.

The hard part is getting another team to trade 3rd star to Rockets.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

0 chance that happens.