1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Patterson impressive in first significant action

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

#81 Shroopy2, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. delishman

delishman Member

Showcase or not if JHill can learn to consistently hit that that 15 footer he is money. Really excited by the future of this guy. Hope he stays a Rocket.

His ceiling is high..

Much higher than I originally thought.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Did anyone doubt he could do what he did last night? :)

Atta boy Patrick!

So glad we got him in the draft this year... sad that it takes a Chuck injury to get him playing time, but heck he definitely showed his stuff tonight!

Loved the whipped cream/ shaving cream whatever it was in the face. :grin:

He's still only missed 2 shots in game. Though his free throws could use some work.... then again... so can Martin's!

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe we didn't miss the boat on this one afterall ;)

5. WhiteRocket

WhiteRocket Member

Nice perfomance by PPat I started love him a lot ;)

6. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I feel like some crazy-hot supermodel (Patterson) has just wrested my heart from the girl-next-door (Chuck Hayes.)

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Just a reminder: when you change your name to PatFan, don't forget to add "the poster formerly known as Hayesfan" to your sig.

:)

8. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't see the pre-season games so I had no idea. And when he got sent down to D-league I figured he was far away from NBA ready. But his performance makes ya wonder why he hasn't gotten PT up until now.

10. Hayesfan

LOL As much as I love Patrick... Chuck is my first love ;) Gotta keep the Hayes, though someday I may add a "pdpattFan" to my sig!

11. durvasa

Patterson said he was back at square one and forgot all the plays/sets on his return from the D-league. That's a little strange. My understanding was that the Vipers run the same plays/sets as the Rockets. Wasn't that a big selling point of them being a Rockets affiliate?

1 person likes this.
  12. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

For ppl that have watched Patterson in college, does he normally play with the type of energy we saw in the TOR game? Really excited by what I saw, the way he went after those rebounds... Ed Davis looked like a scared little girl. Can we expect this type of effort every game?

13. Hayesfan

It depends. Patrick had a tendency to defer when he was surrounded by other talented guys. His soph year that sort of game was the norm. Last season he was outside more, didn't get as many rebounds but still helped on the defensive end.

He's likely to try and do whatever they ask him to do. The interview where he said the coaches told him to "rebound rebound rebound and have high energy on both sides of the court" well that's what he did.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Found it interesting that Pat comments he forgot the plays/schemes and defense of the Rockets while down in RGV, I thought one of the benefits of getting control of the RGV is for them to run their team similar to ours.

edit: durvasa beat me to it

15. durvasa

I wouldn't expect double doubles on a regular basis, but I'm hoping the effort will be there.

Remember when Landry got his shot, he was also a huge energy player and a beast on the boards. Over time, that intensity plateaued. Even Chuck had a double-double in his second game with us during his 10-day.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Pat develops over the next month or so. I hope he plays well enough to remain a fixture in rotation, even when Chuck comes back. At that point, Adelman will have a tough decision to make.

16. Hayesfan

Well, they probably have the same basic sets, but the movement off those sets is different because of personnel. At least that would be my guess.

1 person likes this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't imagine a D-league team running as complex as an offense as Adelman does.

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I guess JJ will still be the odd man out even against the better teams?

19. Hayesfan

That's what I mean. Probably the Vipers start in the same basic sets - strong side triangle, and elbow spread - then because of personnel they run a less complex, more appropriate version of Adelman's offense.

Patrick was playing the 5 down there as well... which might throw him off more as well.

20. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Yeah, I have exactly the same concern. Was wondering if this was a one-off from being excited at getting minutes.

Sounds good :)