1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Notes/Buzz on Nene, Hayes, Motiejunas and Team Direction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 2011.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

And THAT is why the Knicks' pick is still fairly valuable around the league. Only having top-5 protection on a pick--even one from a team that will probably be a low seeded playoff team--makes the upside so much greater than almost any other pick on the market.

For all we know, Rick Adelman may lead the Timberwolves to the playoffs (or at least the late lottery); yet that 2012 unprotected MIN pick owned by the Clippers is widely considered among the best trade assets in the entire league. That's because it's UNPROTECTED.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be some Pollyanna about the Rockets making the playoffs this year.

I'm just a realist when it comes to the range of scenarios likely to play out for the Rockets, and the playoffs are a hell of a lot more likely than a top-3 pick.

I'd rather just enjoy my team winning games instead of agonizing over something that's not going to happen.

Join me. Please.

2 people like this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm with you. I believe.

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

You are not alone. Preach on.

4. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Morey is an idiot.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Einstein is an idiot.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

In a vacuum I want this to be a Suck-for-Luck-esque season. But I will not watch them, as I will nearly 100% of the time, and do anything but pull for individual and TEAM success.

If that means I am with you then I am with you.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Instead of watching KM shoot FTs and Scola hitting layups for 66 games - resulting in a late lottery pick or no pick at all, I'd rather watch our young guys and see what we have - hopefully watch them improve.

Oh and talent wise I see TWill > Hill > Flynn > Thabeet but what I think we'll see on the floor is Hill > Flynn > TWill > Thabeet

8. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Why does everyone talk about this team being doomed to a late lottery pick if they play Martin and Scola heavy minutes like it's a certainty, yet the same people think that trading those two players (without ever mentioning that SOME players who can walk and chew gum at the same time will be coming back) will somehow assure this team of being one of the absolute worst teams in the league and getting a top-3 pick?

Folks: IT IS MORE LIKELY THAT THE ROCKETS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THAN THAT THEY WIN THE LOTTERY!

Fact: the Rockets finished 9th in the West last season.

Fact: after the All-Star break, the Rockets had one of the league's best records.

Fact: both Denver and New Orleans are expected to be appreciably worse this season.

Opinion: Morey will make some sort of move before or at the start of the season to improve the roster, not necessarily the addition of a superstar.

Opinion: the potential loss of Hayes will hurt, but not necessarily so greatly as to offset the improvements from all the young guys, the addition of Morris and any other additions via trade.

All this adds up to me thinking that the playoffs are actually more than a 50-50 proposition this year. I'm not going overboard here, but I'd give the Rockets about a 60-65% chance of grabbing one of the last two playoff spots in the West this season.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Fact: even money, at best, projecting from TODAY, that Rox make play-offs or go to lottoland.

Fact: the coaching staff that led the Rox to one of the best records is (mostly) in Minnie. New staff, new possibilities (both franchises).

Fact: Clips and Warriors definitely better than last year. Utah and Suns appear to be competing with Rox for 9th or better in West.

Opinion: Absolutely, DM the GM may pull some rabbits out of a hat. I'm pulling for him to do that. But, today?

Opinion: Short of a major infusion of pre-12/25 talent the Rox will be better served to make a good deal for Scola, he deserves it, and play the young bigs.

I want to believe. I want to, I just don't see a 'challenging' future.

1 person likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

my hero!

11. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Joinage.

12. Raven

Raven Member

To do what, run in circles?

13. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I'm with you.

14. BimaThug

Supporting Member

First of all, how is this a FACT?

Second, I'm assume by "challenging" you mean challenging for a title. If so, then yes, I agree with you, the Rockets will not challenge for a title . . . next season.

My point is that people think that not trying to win THIS SEASON will somehow realistically result in a top-3 pick and a future superstar. But the far likelier result is that it only improves a late lottery pick (or none, if they make the playoffs) to a mid-lottery pick. Will that guy be a superstar? It's possible, but not likely. Most likely, it will be another Patterson or Morris type (even with a deep draft). We've got enough of those already.

I'd much rather see this team win THIS SEASON and also pursue a superstar (or other upgrade) via trade. Then, if Morey comes up empty, start over in 2012, when the roster will turn over substantially, Kevin Martin becomes a 2013 expiring contract, Scola's contract becomes more appealing in trade, and the franchise has a better idea of its direction.

15. Pass

Pass Member

Point is, the superstars are becoming available now and through summer 2012... we need to be in that game for sure but the best back up plan is a higher draft pick than #14

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Even money is a 'fact' because either they will or they won't, it's all up in the air right now. Maybe one week from today there will be greater clarity as things shake-out starting Friday. Until then it's either/or thus 50-50, even money.

It is necessity in my fanhood definition that the team have a puncher's chance to challenge for a Parade. A 14th or worse, 15th, draft seed is depressing. Almost as depressing that now, unlike during The Dream run or The Franchise run, or to an extent the Yao run, no biggies are giving any thought to Houston. At all.

Forget tanking or spending, it's time to start making Houston and the Houston Rockets relevant again. Players flock here - - to be here, not to sign here? Yet players want to sign in Sarverville? Something is hinky there.

Without a positive influx of talent early post 12/9 I believe the better choice is to try and win - - but without Luis (and I'm a big Scola guy) and Martin (I like K-Mart well enough). There are people in position to fill those minutes fine. And they will bring back assets (there's that word again). And have two plans in place: to make Houston Hot-town and to get pieces to challenge for hardware.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I don't see that as a fact...more like an opinion. We don't know who will be back and who won't yet for the Nuggets (other than JR Smith). They were 18 and 7 (.720) after the Carmelo trade - better than before. Now if the truly lose Nene for nada, then the opinion is a little more valid. And I personally don't see NO that much worse...until next year. And who knows about Utah, Phoenix and even the Clippers (though that might a stretch). Short seasons are hard to predict. Even 1 or 2 minor injuries could take a team from playoff to lotto.

And other teams will do the same. But unless it is a superstar, I doubt he'll blow any 2012 money (or even ipads) on anyone. And Morey's trades lately...money moves only IMO (at least I hope that was why). I expect the same for 11-12.

I'm glad your optimistic but I see us somewhere around 7 and 10 finish in the West - pending any Howard-type trades. 7-8 finish = 1st round bounce and no pick (other than NY's most likely) in 1 of the best/deepest drafts in some time. If we finish 9-10, we have a long shot at top 3 which isbetter than no shot. But even if we don't strike it rich, we would have 2 good (@14-20) picks in a very nice draft. Keep them and see who's there or trade them for someone you really have your eye one.

I see this is a pivitol point for the Rockets. If they choose to keep playing 500+/- ball and hitting and missing the playoffs (drafting 14-18) do you really think the Rockets will have a bright future?

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is probably a fact. Bima said "expected". He never expressed who's opinion that these teams would be worse, but I assume Bima was referring to some group of people who expect Denver and New Orleans to be appreciably worse. Whether the opinion is correct or not, time will tell, but I concur with these people's opinion.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

^ It's a weak fact based on the opinion of "others". Expectations are not facts IMO. Or you could say I "expect" the Rockets to win it all next year. Fact?

#99 ArtV, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Weak fact? Fact is fact.
    Your expectation is opinion, but what your expectation is is fact.