1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Not much to dislike about the Rockets signing Carmelo Anthony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 23, 2018.

?

Do you like the Rockets move to sign Carmelo Anthony to a one-year, $2.4M deal?

1. YES

460 vote(s)
    95.2%
  2. NO

23 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If Melo doesn't fit he can be cut or traded. This isn't the same situation as OKC where they were basically stuck starting and playing him a lot of minutes

napalm06 likes this.
  2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I like a starting lineup of James, CP3, PJ, Melo, and Capela.

My questions is, who finishes off the game?
    James, CP3, PJ, EG, and Melo vs. Curry, Klay, Durant, AI2, and Green, which means we have no one who can slow Durant down. He can shoot over everyone easily. What I do like is that 4 out of 5 players can get to the rim and score/make free throws.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still don't get why we let Luc M go for Melo. We need the defense. Melo doesn't bring that.

4. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I like the move. I still do not understand our rotation given the roster - RA, PJ, MCW, JE, EG, GG, and De'Anthony Melton - you'd have to assume that PJ and Melo will be starting, in which case our starting lineup would be:
    CP3
    Harden
    Melo
    PJ
    Clint

Backups:
    Melton/Gerald Green
    Gordon
    Ennis
    MCW/Ryan Anderson
    Hartenstein/Nene

Now, we know D'Antoni's regular rotation is 8 deep, with EG playing a sixth man role (averaged over 30 mpg last year). Gerald Green has earned minutes from last year and will probably be seeing 20 or so mpg. Hartenstein will probably see 10-15 mpg is my guess if he shows anything (not sure where Nene fits into this). With the remaining players, I just dont see how everyone gets minutes. Will Ennis *and* MCW be regular rotation guys? Even with regular rests and games off for starters, I still dont see it as we didnt have a 10 man rotation last year even with a number of starters averaging less than 30 mpg, missing a lot of games, etc.

My guess is that you're going to see a real 'splash' trade of some sort near the trade deadline, where we package young guys, expiring contracts, and picks for a good player on a team that is grossly underperforming.

5. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Luc left for the Clippers offer. I don't think Morey was like bye LMM we got Melo coming. Same for Ariza.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Melo brings two good shoulders

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are telling me Morey couldn't give Luc $4-5 MM?

8. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Morey was only able to give him a slight raise on the minimum due to non-bird rights. If he gave him more then he had to give him the MLE essentially which means you wouldn't be able to give Hartenstein, Melton, etc... 3 year deals to lock up their full bird rights.

So while Morey could have given LMM the MLE you wouldn't be able to make any other moves outside of minimum contracts for the rest of the off-season.

amaru likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

They didn't let Luc go for Melo. Melo is taking a Vet Min contract. Luc took 4.3M from the Clippers. The Rockets will have 3.6M left from their T-MLE after signing Hartenstein and Melton. The Rockets offered Luc a 2.9M deal. He took the 4.3M deal. The Rockets wanted Luc, "but not at the reduced T-MLE" price. Rockets got Ennis at Vet Min to fill the Luc role. Luc's shoulder is a concern. He did not get surgery and there is concern of re-injury and the Rockets did not want to tie up MLE monies with that concern. It is less of a concern if he is on a Vet Min deal.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is why I think there's no risk. He no longer has a no-trade clause in effect, or a massive scary contract.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Luc was a zero vs the Warriors.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

@BimaThug @Clutch sorry if you've addressed this elsewhere. Do you think the Rockets make a move with the remaining ~$3-4M MLE money this summer - (is there even anyone worth that who would accept a contract at that level?) or does Morey likely just sit on it until an unexpected buyout or cut in September/October (seems to me like buyouts and cuts rarely happen after camp)?

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

All indications are the Rockets are going to hold onto the remaining MLE money for buyouts. Sounds like the remaining field of FAs right now don't excite them enough to warrant investing in them.

Also, the Rockets roster is filling up.

PG: Paul / MCW / Melton
    SG: Harden / Gordon
    SF: Melo / Ennis / Green
    PF: Tucker / Anderson / Zhou
    C: Capela / Nene / Hartenstein / Nanu

That's the 15 man roster.
    + 2 Way Contracts: Vincent Edwards / Gary Clark

Ideally moving Anderson+Nanu in a consolidation trade would be great.

14. rserina

rserina Member

They didn't. If Melo takes the minimum, it has zero impact. They let Luc go because he got more money from the Clips and would have eaten our entire MLE. Then no extra year for Melton at bargain basement prices, no Hartenstein, and no other in-season FA.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

$2 mill for Carmelo > $20 mil for Ryan Anderson

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

So was Ariza, especially when we needed him most. I've moved on from them both. Welcome Melo, can't wait for the season to start.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not even close

Ariza was there the entire playoffs and was superior player overall
    We definitely are going to miss Ariza

Everyone couldn't buy a bucket against the Warriors in game 7

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Except he hasn't actually signed.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Well let's hope Ennis can raise his defensive game - Luc was a cornerstone of our defense until he got injured.

If we had a healthy Luc it would have had a major impact.

20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

7/26/18 Carmelo on coming of the bench...
    I know how to play this game of basketball,” he said. “I’ve been playing it for a long time. When I feel like I’m ready to take that role, then I’ll take that role. Only I know when it’s best for me to take that role. I’m not going to do that in a situation where I still know my capabilities and what I can do. And at the end of the day, the people who really matter know my capabilities and what I can still do"

Same old super ego Melo, wonder if he is going do another interview where he talks about his brand in a new and empty office building he purchases/lease?

H-Town Melo likes this.