1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[clutchfans]McHale on why Rockets cut Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Forgot about the 2nd round pick. We used that to get Chandler Parsons, didn't we?

So, essentially we traded Brad Miller and Shane Battier for Parsons, Motiejunas, and some 09 busts (Thabeet/Flynn) who amount to ~9 million for trade matching purposes. I'll take that.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

^Stop putting DM on a pedestal!!1!

I think most DM supporters know that he made a mistake here. There isn't a perfect GM in the league. Buford drafted James Anderson at the 20th spot. But he got Blair in the second. This is one of numerous examples. It happens to the best of em.

3. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

This could go down as one of the worst mistakes the rockets make.

Lin was only on 800k ! low risk high reward stuff...

Good Passing point guards are high to find.

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

to be clear, if he'd happened for another team, including the rockets, it wouldn't be half the story. that it's happening in New York, media capital of the country (the world?) is what makes it such a huge story.

almost enough to make me a (temporary) knicks fan...if only they'd ditch carmelo.

5. sammy

This is an oxymoron considering his turnover numbers.

Plus, the Rockets have 2 :confused:

We could use his scoring ability though and he would have been a nice asset to possess :eek:

#105 sammy, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Actually, no the story is a little complicated: The had the Parsons pick (38th overall) already going into the draft. The initial configuration of the deal had the Rockets sending the 38th pick to Minny along with the other stuff in the package (Miller, 38th pick, 2013 Memphis first) for the 20th pick (Motiejunas) and Minny's 2012 2nd rounder.

So, the 2nd rounder I referred to was Minny's in the UPCOMING 2012 draft.

The Parson's pick reaquired by the Rockets later on when the Rockets looked at some medical info on Flynn that previously was not disclosed and expressed concern over his surgically repaired hip. The teams renegotiated the deal so that the Rockets was able to get the 38th pick back for cash.

My memory is that the renegotiation took place before the 38th pick was made, so Parsons was selected by Houston, and not selected by Minny and then traded back.

Here's Minny's press release on draft night:

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/new...plete_Five_Draft_Night_Trades_2011_06_24.html

In any case, the Parsons 38th pick was the Rockets' before the draft, was momentarily traded to Minny (so I guess Parsons was a "momentary Timberwolve" like Scola/Martin/Dragic were "momentary Hornets").

By the way, the Rockets ended up with the 38th pick in the following manner: The Rockets' own 2nd rounder was going to the 47th, not 38th. In August 2008, the Rockets traded Steve Novak to the Clippers for the right to swap 2nd rounders in 2011. Thus, the Rockets ended up with the Clippers 2nd round pick (38th overall) and the Clippers drafted 47th overall. http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/snovak_080806.html

#106 Carl Herrera, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

I think that both Lowery and Dragic would do as well or better then Lin in the New York system.

8. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Look at the sequence of events! The trade was made and Lin was signed to compete for the backup job. Dragic was gone along with Martin, Scola, and potentially, Budinger?

We were looking to sign Nene, whether it would happen or not, that's a diff story.

At any rate, we were looking at

Nene or Dalembert/Hill
    Gasol/Patterson
    Williams (at the time)/Morris/Parsons
    Lee/Taylor? (I believe we signed him too)
    Lowry/Flynn/Lin

There would have been room if it wasn't vetoed.

9. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

lol....

Magic Johnston and kidd have praised him compared him to nash

nash loves lin himself

10. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Which part? Keeping Lin or trading Dragic? The trade "happened." Morey, at one point, stated that Lin was brought in to fight for the backup job. I just don't see how any of it was speculation. It came down to the trade getting vetoed, so New Orleans could get 1 year of Eric Gordon, who may very well play 1 total game for the Hornets.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some of you guys act we like traded Olajuwon for Ronny Seikly and Glen Rice.

Some situations like the Lin one was just destiny. he was destined to go to the Knicks and play cause the Knicks point guards were crap and we have some good point guards.

Some things are just destiny.

Like when the Rockets acquired Vernon Maxwell for some strip club money.

Or when the Rockets drafted Robert Horry when the fans demanded Harold Miner.

Or when Sam Cassell dropped a 3 in Madison Square Garden.

Or when Olajuwon dissed going to school up north cause it was too cold.

All you fools need to do the McCartney:

Let it Be

12. sammy

So you're saying that Lin is on his way to winning multiple MVP awards while averaging like 11 assists a game for a decade? Sure.

13. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

On Christmas Eve? :mad::rolleyes: Do we have a human GM? Er, forget it.

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

hindsight is 20/20. he would have never gotten the opportunity to prove himself in houston like he has been in new york

15. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Who in the holy hell is Magic Johnston. That ain't a typo, bub.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Did you just date yourself? :grin::grin::grin:

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You know, I've gone around and around on this and I can see your point. And while Morey definitely wasn't responsible for what went down, he still tried to make it work even after it became obvious that the premise simply wasn't workable. Some, like yourself, pin the blame squarely on Les who was more interested in the $$$ that came from having Yao around than he was in winning. In this scenario, Morey essentially gets a pass for past six years as GM because it was the will of the owner that dictated what went down. OK fine.

However, my problem with this scenario is the flushing of more years down the drain because Morey's actions resulted in watching the Rockets continue to go nowhere while stacking six more years on top of the eleven wasted ones since their last NBA title. This year marks the 17th since this franchise experienced its proudest moment and I can barely remember what it felt like when I watched Hakeem and Clyde embrace in celebration. Morey and the Rockets need to shift their focus to becoming relevant again rather than providing endless excuses and explanations for continuing to fall short.

Noted. You will notice that I edited my original post here. However, I would like for someone (Morey) to candidly explain how just how loading up on draft busts and mediocre talent can actually lead to a true upgrade in talent and prospects because in my 40+ years of following NBA basketball, I have yet to see this approach yield an NBA title. Oh, and some kind of timetable (3 years? 5 years? 7 years? infinity and beyond?) would be a nice gift to us long time (and suffering) OG fans.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Thanks for the clarification.

19. acjeitherocket

dam ppl need to let this go lol

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when we got McHale, this is what I remember of him

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X7r6vXeOfyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>