1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Luring Roy Hibbert Could Be Tough Task for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If getting sent to the d-league wasn't a little bit humbling, it probably would lose some value. There are no divas in the RGV. Sounds like Hibbert might have benifited from the trip.

If you can't suck it up and endure a trip to the valley, I don't think you are the type of player the Rockets seem to be intent on developing.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Let me ask you.............

if you were interviewing with a team that was going to potentially draft you and they had Yao Ming, Deke, and Scola playing the spots that you play, would you ask them what their plan was?

And if they told you, you would have to compete with those 3 guys for minutes, would you then ask what their plan was if you didn't beat them out??

And then after you asked that question, would you want them to lie to you??

Look, people use all sorts of things to motivate them. Hibbert didn't want to go to dleague. I'm glad he didn't. That shows he has some drive at least. So, he worked hard to get drafted higher and to not have to go to dleague. He was happy that he got drafted higher and was not on a team loaded with bigs. So, good for him.

But to paint this thing like Morey is so stupid that he just pisses off players and causes them to not to want to play here is crap. And then to act like we want those kinds of players to play here, prima donna types that complain because they ain't getting paid enough and they ain't getting played enough is crap too. We don't want those kinds of players. And Morey and Mchale know talent well enough that if a true superstar shows up...........he's gonna get his minutes and money.

Signed,

Yao Ming

#62 jopatmc, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  3. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

You've got some great points here. In no way am I defending is seemingly disappointed attitude, but I wonder if any of it has to do with his brother getting lots of PT and doing well. Brotherly competition and comparison could be another cause. ;)

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Problem with the d-league is that Talented lottery prospects don't get sent down because those teams sucked so bad that those prospects are used to SELL tickets. A team like the Wizards will throw a John Wall right into the fire and not care about winning or development. All they want is people to get excited about a young stud.

The Rockets aren't like most NBA teams that would have tanked by now and started rebuilding from scratch. We are always trying to get in the playoffs and that the feelings of rookie players get hurt because we have little use for them. Parsons has been a very good exception to that rule though.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Huh? Do you want to pay Jordan $10,000,000 a season? McGee is already wanting a deal in the $13,000,000-$14,000,000 a year range.....

Further, neither guy plays straight up defense and lack even the basic basketball instincts necessary to win at a high level....

6. REEKO_HTOWN

Size gets paid in the NBA. why do you think Dalembert gets paid $7 million? Don't be shocked if Hibbert gets paid double what Dragic does this offseason.

7. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you.... but I am asking you, do you think that McGee is worth 13-14 mil a season, and do you think Jordan is worth over 10 mil a season?

I expect Hibbert to get 2-3 times Dragic........ and honestly, if we were set at 1-4 and Hibbert would push us over the edge, I wouldnt mind giving an above average starting center major money...... but that isnt the case with the Rockets, or most the league...... I do not envy the Pacers that now must decide if they want to pay an above average center near max money or scramble to fill the position.....

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Donny Most is right. There was nothing he said that had any indication that Morey had "bad people skills." It was about getting an opportunity and having to live a less than lavish lifestyle for a few weeks.

The little bit that Marcus Morris, and Patterson have opened up on with their D-League experience always kind of hints at that being an issue. The riding a bus instead of a charter can make you feel like your being punished, but they both seemed to fully understand the reasoning behind it.

I do not believe that you need to be toying with a young KID's ego like that. If they were to lead Hibbert into believing he's the next coming of Hakeem and that he was going to get everything handed to him do you think that would really be beneficial to someone that is obviously going to be setup for dissapointment in the NBA??

Maybe in the video game industry that works for DD to recruit talent, but in the NBA I personally think these KIDS need more humility to get in touch with reality as soon as possible so they can realize the hard work that it truely takes to be great. Look at how many young talented KIDS come into the NBA expecting the keys of the kingdom right away and fall out of the NBA quick because they cant adjust mentally.

-Also hinesight now is looking back 4 years later when any player taken should expect this to happen. Every in the team is utilizing the D-League, and more and more teams are buying into being affiliates. The Rockets were just ahead of the curve.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

above average salary is way different than $14 million per for mediocrity.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Has any player been helped by going to the D league. Jlin goes there and puts up a triple double. Twill goes there puts up a triple double. Really really good players just don't go to the D leage.Even Joey Dorsey who can't hit a hook shot was balling in the D league. Marcus Morris went down there and he dominated. You are better off scrimmaging and nbaer in practice.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

No, I do not think any of those centers including Hibbert deserve >$10 million but that's the sad reality in the NBA. Now here is a case of supply and demand. I've never seen so few great Centers in the league.

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

What about option C - You draft tell them you are happy to have them on the team and let the chips fall were they may. Parsons certainly looked like a D-Leauger coming in and look at him now. Nothing is written in stone.

And for the record I see no reason to believe Hibbert is lying. It makes sense for him to make up such a story. Maybe he misunderstood or maybe he mixed up who said what but just making it up is doubtful. On the other hand Morey lied about calling players assets. He definitely has called them assets in the past. And Les lied about talking to Adelman. So we have a history of liars in upper management. Hibbert's probably telling the truth.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes Morris absolutely looks much more comfortable on the perimeter, and Patterson looked more much better as a true post player when he came back last year.

Patterson especially took full advantage of his assignment there. Before he went down he had a tendency to float around the perimeter instead of ducking inside the paint. He's still no Moses Malone, but he was a much better true PF after going down to RVG.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ding ding ding - winner winner, chicken dinner.

DD

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Withholding information/their plans from players doesn't really help them at all in this scenario.

If anything, it just gives more credence to that "Morey treats players like assets!" stuff we keep hearing.

You can't have it both ways.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think player response to the Dleague is quite telling about their mindset...

Obviously, I dont hold it against any player who would rather be logging minutes in actual NBA games, but guys that feel it is 'beneath them' are possible divas in the making... If a player didnt go top 10, then they should be lookin for any opportunity to develop their game. Those that dont, imo prob dont have the drive to improve on a consistent basis...

Hibbert is a good player, but quite frankly I think he's gonna be grossly overpaid. His ceiling seems to be Jermaine O'Neil type - who will ultimately get tossed around by stronger centers... That said, I'd be willing to throw about 10M/yr at the guy - but I wouldnt sell the house for him...

and kudos to Morey for being up front and honest with him about the D league.... those that dont get that, probably havent been successful managing people (and I'm talking managing - not coddling and placating) ;)

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes you can, Morey could just say, we really like you, Deke will be retiring soon, and you will have a chance in training camp to earn playing time.

There is nothing more to be said, why even bring up the D-league?

DD

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He probably should of gone to the D-League. Maybe he would be a better player. Hibbert isn't really the direction we should be going anyway.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That's just a round-about way of saying "sorry, you're headed to the d-league this year if we draft you. maybe next year you can get some PT."

They were up-front and honest with him about it, and it obviously made a good impression on Hibbert.

No need to lie or omit things if it isn't necessary.

20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

You have to interview a person you are going to invest millions in potentially, and he would've been sent to the D League if he came here. From the sounds of it he would've been upset and then we'd have to deal with that mess.

Parsons is the exception not the rule, you can't base your arguments off of that. For every Parsons there's a Derek Anderson or another guy that didn't cut it.