1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Luring Roy Hibbert Could Be Tough Task for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 2, 2012.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Very true. Seems that Yao cloud always stopped Morey from drafting a project Big and it's going to cost him to sign them now that they're mature. I hope he's learned.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The truth is if he had been drafted here and had been tutored by Yao and Deke and CD and possibly even Hakeem............then he would probably be a lot better player than the mediocre player he is today.

Hibbert is a joke.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I think Hibbert is overrated by many to begin with, so I really don't care, to be quite honest.

I get that centers are at a premium and you've got to overpay at times, but I'd rather not in Roy Hibberts case.

He'll probably get close to the max, which in his case should be somewhere between ~$14-15M annually.

Hibbert is a decent player, but he's not worth that kind of money IMO. Especially if you factor in that -- barring a trade, in which the Rockets dump major salary -- you'd have to waive Dalembert and renounce the rights to at least one of Dragic/Lee.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

Mediocre? Sour grapes are sour aren't they. He's a good player and the Rockets didn't get a chance to draft him because another team saw it in him.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Learned what? To travel through time and/or be able to predict the future?

6. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

This is in issue of the Rockets telling a potential player basically, we want you but we think you are not good enough. That does not sit well with potential lottery picks who are still ignorant enough to think that just because they did well in college, they are immediate starters or contributors on a NBA team.

Like DD said, this just bad management and every since Morey came here we have had problems with our PR and players not wanting to come here. The Tracy fiasco, lowballing players, not signing Mutombo, making players believe they are important to the team only to trade them right after, calling players assets, not extending contracts etc.

The Rockets organisation seems to be run by a bunch of freaking amateurs.

7. jopatmc

Not true. Morey is not going to overpay for mediocrity. The truth is skilled big men are very, very hard to find and very hard to find in the free agency market without being restricted because teams gobble up bigs and overpay for mediocrity at the big man position.

I have no doubt we are going to get a big this offseason, whether it be in the draft (doubtful) or through free agency or trade or some combination thereof. I fully expect Morey to make a big run at Asik and no telling what trade options open up.

The last thing this teams needs is a $15 million a year boat anchor contract at the center position that they cannot trade because he ain't as go as the 17 guys that are better than him and the 13 guys that are worse than him aren't that much worse or worse at all really and they are making a fraction of his $15 million.

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Option A - GM of a team tells me that I'm probably going to have to go through the D-League process to become a better player... then they follow through on it.

Option B - GM tells me that they are drafting me to help the team right away... then they send me down to the D-League (which was their true intention all along).

Yeah, I would much rather have Option A.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

No. To take chances on Size and upside. He took a small step with Motiejunas and I'm glad.

10. jopatmc

You can label "good player" on just about any player in the NBA. Doesn't mean anything.

Hibbert is mediocre. He's probably about the 17th best starting center in the league. That is mediocre. And players like him are dangerous salary traps. Teams need bigs and some of the stupid ones get desparate and sign a guy like this to a $60-$65 million 4-year offer sheet, only to be stuck in mediocrity for the next half a decade.

Hibbert isn't as good as Camby and the only reason he is better than Dally is because Dally is so dumb.

11. conquistador#11

i jokingly said in a thread long ago that hibbert would not come to houston because he could not trust Maury. He'd keep thinking that after one bad game maury and mctalky would send his ass(et) to the dleague.

He is one of the few players I like in Free agency. The other ones would be Gordon? but will he be the same after the injury? Lamarcus? I think portland will match. Batum..but I think portland will match.

We're left with nothing. Offering Dragic battier money to play the role of our manu would be a glorious signing.

12. jopatmc

The Rox did not tell him they were going to send him there. They told him he would have to compete with Yao/Deke/Scola for minutes and if he couldn't beat them out, he may see time in the dleague if he was drafted here.

What is wrong with that????!???!??!

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Doesn't matter. I dont like that attitude. Youre not even a lottery pick and you dislike the thought of going to a development league? Cmon son.

And its not like it matters. Roy was off the board way before our pick. Rockets would have took him regardless of how he felt about the DL if he was available at our pick. I dont see how it was a fail on management to tell him the truth. That's not the reason why he went before we picked.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You know, I think it should help MOST lottery picks, but I agree with you on the effect is seems to have had on Morris.

To be quite honest, I've been a little disappointed in Morris's overall attitude. Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair, given that I'm basing it on a small sample size and don't know what goes on behind closed doors on that team, but it seems like Morris doesn't realize that he's a FREAKING ROOKIE.

For instance (and I know it's probably nothing), I was very unimpressed with Morris's utter unwillingness to dance at the open practice during the preseason. Yes, I know it's stupid, but EVERY rookie and second-year player, including Patterson (and even the veteran Scola in his second year in the NBA) participated. You had a couple thousand fans just sitting there and waiting for something to happen for a good two minutes, while Morris just resisted the veterans' attempts to get him to dance. Buy into the team concept, man!

Yes, it sucks that a guy drafted behind you beat you out for minutes at your position, but a lot of that had to do with Parsons (a) playing FOUR years in college and (b) getting some professional experience in France during the lockout. You think he would realize the key to getting real on-the-floor experience and embrace his D-League demotion. But he didn't.

Again, I realize I'm being unfairly tough on Marcus here and that much of my criticism is irrational. But I think he needs to (and perhaps he already has) grow up and embrace being a part of a deep young team.

I'm looking for good things from Morris next season. One of them is that his mental toughness is improved. I'd expect nothing less from a tough Philly kid.

P.S. As for Hibbert not wanting to go, he would have been the #25 pick had the Rockets taken him. I don't think the #25 pick of the draft should complain about being sent anywhere.

1 person likes this.
  15. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think what stopped Morey from drafting Hibbert was that the an NBA team that picks 17th can get to draft a player before a team that picks 25th.

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

People forget that it took him 4 years to develop into his monstrous 13, 9 and 2 self today. D League probably would've helped him. As far as signing him goes, I wouldn't pursue him too hard because he's going to get overvalued this summer. Deandre Jordan is already looking disappointing.

17. jopatmc

Nothing but to sign very good players to value contracts that can be traded for other potential value!!

We would be better off to draft Tyler Zeller in the first round and make trades with Lowry and Scola and re-sign guys like Goran and Lee to reasonable contracts then we would be to let all those guys go to give $15 mill to Hibbert.

Hibbert is worth, AT MOST, around $7 million per on a long-term deal.

18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

There's nothing wrong with not pursuing anybody in free agency, if there's nobody out there to pursue.
    Overpaying mediocre/above average players only will ensure that you stay mediocre/above average.

That's why the Rockets prefer to build the team via the draft and trade, not free agency.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

All good points espcially the last one. I agree that Morris seems to have come in with a sense of entitlement, but I don't think going to the D-League helps everyone. Players are different, and their mentalities are different. Knowing how to motivate players does require a certain emotional intelligence, and insight. I don't think you can just assume that playing in the D-League is good for all players. Some players actually rise to the challange of NBA play. I guess i just don't think our roster was so good that Morris couldn't have gotten any meaningful playing time. And i also wonder how much better the D-league is for player development than practicing day in and day out with NBA players.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

I wasn't talking about Hibbert. I was talking about players like Jordan an McGee that he could have drafted but thanks for trying to be funny.