1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Jordan Hill shows his potential (w/ video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 7, 2010.

1. tobepg

tobepg Member

Given some more time, Hill may surprise us with his improving.

2. PeppermintCandy

Hill played well but seems very raw. He seemed to be getting by on physical talent, hustle and, at least against the small Detroit frontcourt, size advantage.

Hopefully, he'll do some serious work over the summer with the Rockets coaches to build on his raw talent.

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I have to say, the young man definitely has some skill to play in this league.

4. bfurlough

bfurlough Member

He just needs playing time.

5. bloop

bloop Member

good court awareness. very good touch. good strength finishing with contact/boxing his man out/drew a lot of fouls going up for boards

not much explosiveness. 6'10" he should be dunking that ****.

seems to have a soft tough which will help score around the basket but he is not an athlete like landry.

6. CoolHandLee

CoolHandLee Member

Not to be pessimistic, but he actually looks somewhat lost during the game.

Didn't really box out Maxiell in that highlight play with his arms, Maxiell still managed to get around him, but Hill can definitely jump.

And is it me or does Hill's hands not seem that adhesive? He doesn't seem to catch the ball that cleanly.

But I love the fact that he's 6'10". Can't tell you how nice it is to see a roster sheet that doesn't jump from 6'8" to 7'6"

7. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

This guy's only been playing ball for 5-6 years! Hopefully, he gets the proper development here

8. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I remember on one offensive play, Hill stood in one place the entire possession. I'm not nitpicking or anything, I know he's still getting acclimated to the team and getting used to actually playing in games, but it was something funny I noticed.

Also I think that Gordon foul would have been a monster block had Gordon not swiped at Hill with his left hand.

9. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

new york fans complained about his lack of hands. i think hes just raw all around. doesnt have great hands or polish but is skilled enough to put in points like tonight.

1 person likes this.
  10. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

jordan hill > yao ming.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I saw on that NBA Fit program where Luel Deng was working on his "hands" in the offseason. He spent a significant amount of time just punching into a barrel full of beans while he contracted his fingers. Seems like as long as Hill's hands aren't small, he should at least be able to get the mechanical ability to latch onto things. Combine that with some timing drills and it seems like something he can overcome if he is willing to put in the work.

Hill's play is impressive. I would call it a small step for sure, but Hill seemed to find himself around the action here which is a promising sign. That's something Landry was good at - just finding the right place off the ball to make an easy play. It would serve him well to study that about Landry's game because before Landry turned into the 4th quarter beast, everyone here should remember he was just one of those guys who worked off the ball well to get easy plays off someone else's move or "trash" buckets off misses. He didn't refine his own one on one game until later on.

...not bad.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I know everyone was waiting on my recap, here it is :grin: . Hill, like most young players really could benefit from just playing. I'm not in favor of giving without earning, but this is a development year. We know what scola,hayes,andersen,and jeffries can do on the court especially hayes and scola. From the looks of it, the rockets aren't going to make the playoffs, which is cool. I think with his skill set and potential, adelman needs to find 20 mins every night for the kid.

Of course he's hesitant and looks lost at times. In any high level event, when you think, you stink. Basketball unlike many sports is reactionary and requires fast thinking and reacting. Fluidity is the commom word most used in describing alot of players. I will tell you this about hill and you can go find articles, when he would go play with the suns in the summer, he was giving guys the bizness. Now that doesn't mean he's going to be a great player, but the guy has a ball of clay to work with and thats important.

13. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

:eek: Now that's a stretch

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I liked him rolling to the basket, after a pick, that showed potential and I liked him making the quick pass to Luis at the elbow for the jimmy.

He just needs time and teaching and he may develop just fine....he is certainly tall and athletic enough and he is only 22 years old.....

DD

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jordan Hill the Black Scola :cool:

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It sure would be nice to get a pnr with a oop at the basket. Sometimes those are the easiest points to get of that play. Can't do it all the time, but there are definitely times to do it with certain players.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't know why, but Hill reminds me of Mike Harris.

He appears to be one of those blue collar players, working hard on both ends of the court, much like Chuck Hayes.

18. bloop

bloop Member

yeah I've read that. I'm talking more about being able to finish junk around the rim and finish with contact not his ability to latch onto balls. He seems to have a good sense where the basket and his teammates which will help him score around the rim.

only knock on him from me is his lack of explosiveness. we need an athletic PF

19. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

No Hill has a ton more potential and is only 22 and he isn't a tweener.

20. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Kid needs work.

I am thinking those comments about the D-League are exactly what Hill needs. Right now, he needs time on the court and he seems more of liability then asset to me. A good tour with the Vipers did wonders for Dorsey, he has all the physical gifts, he just needs the room to work out the kinks.

If he does it on the court it will likely lose us games however.