1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Is Terrence Williams a point guard? He thinks so. (w/ video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 24, 2011.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Because it limits his abilities. You're making him into mostly a spot up shooter/finisher by playing him next to lowry and brooks. He's also shorter than most SFs. He may be strong, but height matters, just ask chuck.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Bullcorn. Back injuries have more to do with body structure than just pure height. If TWill was a 180 lb beanpole with an extremely long core then he would be more susceptible to back problems, like Danillo, or McGrady. They have very long drawn out cores. TWill is built like a german tank with a jet engine inside of him. He does not have an elongated core.

3. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

At 6-6 and with his body he is more than capable of guarding SF's. You honestly don't think he has just as good a shot at stopping the Rudy Gay's, Andre Iguodalas, and Danny Grangers as Shane? Regarding his role, once again a distributor/playmaker does not have to be a PG. When Tracy was here he was the primary playmakers and he did not play PG, Rafer did. There is no reason he couldn't start at SF and run the offense like other SG/SF creators do for other teams.

4. mrjuandiego1988

5. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

When? I've seen almost all of the games this year and I don't remember it being an issue when Twill has actually gotten in the game. What I do remember is the look on opposing guards faces when they realize Williams is about to take it to the rack. Example?

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

He has the vision to be a PG, plus he can defend the physical PGs like CP3, Williams, Westbrooks and those guys.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

why put him at the 3, to just have as good of a shot to stop them as shane, when you can put him on a shooting guard or bigger point and cause more havoc there?

When Tmac was here he was everything. He had to be. We hardly had any scorers or players capable of making moves off the dribble and then finishing. On a more talented team he'd be doing less.

You really want Twill running the offense while lowry waits to finish? You want Brooks around here earning 8-9 mill a season, to primarily be a shooter, while twill runs the offense? You're wasting talent somewhere when Twill is at the 3.

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I just went back and watched the 4th quarter of the Orlando game. Yes it's garbage time in a blowout loss, but TWill has great vision. If TW can play under control and work on his jumper, he would be very dangerous at PG.

Hopefully he keeps his head and works hard, he may just be a big part of the reload/rebuild. Sky is the limit for this kid.

9. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

There has to be a trade in the midst for the Rockets. We are overloaded at the PG position so I hope that we trade AB and/or ish to a team like the Kings to get a center as well as make room for Twill to be our PG

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Didn't New Jersey try that last year?

11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

T-Will definitely has the versatility it takes to play the 1, 2, and 3. It's something the Rockets should experiment with, take advantage of, and exploit against other teams. The playoffs are all about match-ups, and a guy like Williams creates mismatches (when the Rockets make the post-season one of these years of course).

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You really what know the track history of super tall points (set aside from Magic)? Penny, remember him? Hell maybe you're right about the long core, but let's face it a 6'5 to 6'8 can never be as a fast as a guy like Aaron Brook or Iverson. The speed is one thing and he may be able to keep up for a while but the extra hunching over while defending is going to take a toll, long torsoe or not. He's going to feel it sooner or later.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Exactly, he can be a facilitator and bother points as a defender every so often but not as a primary role.

14. Hball

Hball Member

I'd like that idea of him becoming a full-time pg more than him playing the 3, he'd have a huge advantage playing at the one and would match-up better against guys like derrick rose, russel westbrook and john wall.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Despite Terrence's comment that PGs don't need to score, if he does not improve his shot, the vast majority of NBA history puts a ceiling on him roughly the height of Rafer.

Just because Rondo and Kidd aren't great shooters, doesn't mean any passer/dribbler/defender can become a starting PG. If his shot doesn't improve, wake me up when Terrence is racking up 9+ APG with 2 SPG like them. And I'm not saying Terrence can't get 9+ apg on 36mpg like Rondo/Kidd...I'm saying he won't get 25 mpg, because inconsistent shooting PGs historically don't.

Quick...other than Rondo and Kidd, name me a PG starter with an inconsistent shot who you would want on the Rockets. Plus, Rondo and Kidd had already played at All-Star levels by age 23, meaning Terrence is WAY behind them in growth...so let's not even think of comparing him to Kidd/Rondo.

That said, I'm all for giving him a shot. Maybe his height and athleticism will make him a historical fluke, and maybe he'll improve his shot (if we give him a shot...pun intended). I guess I'm starting to be a little critical of his play. I love his ability to get into the lane, and we've seen some floaters of his go in (even left handed). One glaring omission to his highlight reel is there is not that much in the way of him running the PnR. Have we seen much PnR?

lastly, remember, he is 23 years old trying to convert to PG?

1 person likes this.
  16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

To be honest I don't know... did they? They had Devin Harris but I didn't watch many Nets games. I don't think that's the "it" combo for the Rockets, but I'd like to see that pairing more often.

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

http://www.82games.com/0910/0910NJN2.HTM

Apparently they did not. There were very few minutes with the two of them on the court together and even then they were always listed as 2/3 rather than 1/2

18. Rockets_4_life

His a good enough shooter to keep the defense honest, and his a much better shooter than both Rondo and Kidd. What he was talking about was that he doesn't have a scoring mentality..

His not going to run down the clock in isolation(ala Aaron Brooks) just to score on somebody, he rather create opportunity for his teammates and get them involved..

The kid can score when he has to, but his more of a pass first player..

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Good post...A nice dose of reality for all the people hyping Williams too much. He has been a lot of talk, but he hasn't proven very much. I like the idea of a player like him (court vision, rebounding, defense), but you gotta be able to shoot the basketball.

And for your question I'll happily take John Wall and his inconsistent shot :grin:

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Is he? He was a bad shooter in college and he has continued to be a bad shooter in the pros.

40% FG% 59% FT% 32% 3p% for his college career

42.1% FG% 57.6% FT% 36.3% 3p% for his junior and senior years