1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Identifying Houston’s Priorities in an Omer Asik Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

well its seems like we called it first, about the 2014 free agency run. Time will tell if were right. If morey starts off with a expiring contract for asik, pick, or MKG "a easy contract he can get rid of contract if summer" like he did T-ROB if needs to... then we both know what the his next move will be at FEB. deadline

2. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Maybe, but not with Charlotte making the playoffs (which I still don't think they will do).

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I think morey creates cap for this summer

4. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

I think Lin/Asik/Parsons, and three unprotected #1 picks (non-consecutive years) for KLove. That may be what's needed.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We're talking about making the playoffs in the Least. Heck, I could make the playoffs in the East with fourteen other dudes here at this oil and gas company.

Charlotte needs to make the playoffs and considering the East's current state, this is the year to do it.

Ben Gordon has one big expiring contract that would be sexy for another team. And Charlotte gets Portland's first rounder this year and possibly Detroit's.

Hmn.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn.

6. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

The Knicks are doing really well with their unprotected pick about to land Denver a top five pick.

.... 3?!

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Rockets could somehow get MKG and the Bobcats owned 2014 Detroit 1st rounder....

They could then go to the Wolves at the trading deadline and offer a package something like this: Rox 2014 1st rounder, Detroit 2014 1st rounder, MKG, Terrence Jones, + Expirings.
    Rockets can't throw their 2015 1st rounder into this (because of their 2014 1st rounder) so they probably would have to add one more sweetener (maybe via a Lin trade for some pick etc).

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Is shumpert out of the mix

9. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I would be ok with this, but I believe that Morey would also want a pick from Charlotte.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Great article. Clears up a lot of spewing around here about Jeff Green and Thaddeus Young (I'm even guilty on the latter).

Those Charlotte picks seem ripe for the picking and I think at least 1, if not 2, of those will come here in a 3-way with Hawes or another useful rental.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Good take Clutch. I'm right there with you.

It also should be pointed out again that Steve Clifford (coach of the Bobcats) is a JVG disciple, and has coached alongside Thibs for years. Given Thib's affection for Asik on the defensive end, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Clifford is a huge fan, and helps them pursue the deal.

Also wouldn't be shocked if the Rockets take back Humphries from Boston with picks. He has a hefty 12 million dollars this year due to him that you would think would warrant compensation of draft picks. However Humphries is not a total negative, he has been (in the past) an elite rebounder & decent defender. He cannot stretch the floor like the Rockets might like, but he's still a player that can help.

If the Rockets end up with Spencer Hawes, the ultimate question has to be... what else... I know that Hinkie will not give up the Pelicans 2014 pick, but would he give up their own 2016 pick(owe a lottery protected first this year)??

-nice to have the 2015 needs reiterated around here. Many people here are obsessed with these guys like Ilyasova, Young, and Jeff Green, but I see no reason why they should take a contract & player that while they add depth, don't necessarily solve any of the Rockets real pressing needs for a defensive perimeter presence, backup 5, or a true stretch 4.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not necessarily in a 3 team deal, but there is almost no way for Asik to go to the Knicks, and there is no reason to believe that Asik would be a good fit for the Knicks long term with Tyson Chandler being a huge part of their team moving forward.

13. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Not sure if Asik and Jefferson would work

14. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

who cares about 2015, Rockets need to win now not worry about trying to sign guys who might not even become free agents.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Hopefully you are the GM that Morey is looking to get over on.

16. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

Eventually the Rockets need to try and win and not continuously break up the team hoping to land some dream free agent. Is the plan not to win a title these next two years or just be above average and hope Kevin Love signs here and hope by then Dwight is still good, and CP doesnt really have back problems and Harden doesnt get hurt...2015 is a long ways a way...WIN NOW

17. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I'm totally sure if they would take back such a big expiring contract that is not that useful. The reasoning is that the luxury tax hurts but it hurts more if you are a repeat offender. So, if we avoid it this year, we can go over it another year in the future without as big of penalities. Now, could they move this contract at the trade deadline, maybe.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

Exactly, howard wants to win now, he would only have one more year guaranteed left on his contract at that point, he can opt out in 2016. If anything morey is looking at 1. expiring contracts that can help us win now 2. Picks to help facilitate a trade at Feb. deadline or later 3. 2014 free agents lebron, bosh, melo etc. Unless he nets a big impact player in a trade that’s worth taking the cap space past 2014, but I don’t see too many players out there currently that meet those requirements.

19. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Is anyone else skeptical that Morey already has a deal lined up. He could just be saying that to bring people to the table. Remember draft day, didn't we have a first rounder for T-Rob lined up. Morey fielded more offers and ended up with 4 second-rounders. Makes me think the first rounder talk was bologna.

20. CertifiedTroll

Can McHale smash MKG's left hand with a hammer when he gets here, so he will have to learn to shoot one handed and his shot can be doctored. Or does he think shooting with a 180 looks to cool to give up?