1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] How the West playoff matchups could best align for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Dream Scenario?

Doesn’t matter, we gotta win 2 series to face the wars, and we will defeat any and every opponent 95% of the time. This year, we just have the superior team vs everyone not named GSW.....when we are healthy and they are healthy.

If GSW gets knocked off, an asterisk will be beside our names again.

TL;DR....Don’t care who we face, don’t care about the asterisk either, get the chip, and all of the world will be ok.

Jontro likes this.
  2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't agree with this statement. Is there an asterisk assigned to the GSW for winning 2015 with no Kevin Love or Kyrie Irving? No one mentions this at all.

I think if the GSW get knocked out before playing Houston, it's going to reflect how bad of a job Kerr did getting these guys prepared. Without Curry, there are three all-stars on that team. Name one other team that has three all-stars right now? It's also going to reflect badly on KD. KD is supposed to be the guy anyways.

At the end of the day, I think it's Houston's year to win it. These guys are hungry and there is truly a chip on their shoulders this year.

3. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

and the warriors played injured teams their entire 2015 run. did steph even face a starting point guard? dwight had a knee injury in the first game and was hobbled thereafter. steph got to work over jason terry because pat was out. no one cares about your injuries.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

If it stays like it is today, I think it is in our favor. The GS/OKC series will be the one to watch. I am wanting OKC to "pave the road."

5. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

What is it going to take in order for OKC to stay at the 7th seed?

6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

not really considering we won the season series and were 2-0 against them when we had Harden in the line up

7. Manos

Manos Member

OKC in the 7th doesn't look possible to me. Looking at the records and standings and a couple assumptions, I think it will shake out close to this:

1 HOU
    2 GSW
    3 UTH
    4 POR
    5 NO
    6 OKC
    7 SA
    8 MIN

*assumptions: OKC beats MEM (probable), UTH beats POR (just based on how both teams have been playing in last 5 games/5-0 vs 1-4), NO over SA (looking at last few games, NO at home) and a MIN over DEN (no real reason, just guessing, addressed below*).

No matter what happens tonight either SA or NO will end up with 47 wins, if OKC beats MEM, then they'll have 48 and be seeded above one of those teams keeping them out of 7th. If OKC loses then check out the scenarios below. If MIN wins and OKC loses, things get even more confusing, see below.

* now if DEN beats MIN, and SA loses to NO, then SA and DEN have the same record, and are both 2-2 against each other, since different division, have to look at conf records, those will be the same, then you have to look at their records vs playoff teams in the western conf, which I haven't done, also if DEN wins, they have the tie breaker against OKC, so they would be above them, but below SA, so it would seed 6 -SA, 7 -DEN, 8- OKC) IF NO loses to SA, then DEN seeds higher than NO, 2v1 record, and above OKC due to record, so then 6 -DEN, 7 -NO, 8 -OKC. If NO loses along with OKC and MIN wins then those 2 will be in the 6 7 8 positions, buts there it gets weird(er). they have identical wins, ok each holds a versus advantage over a different team, (NO over OKC, OKC over MIN, MIN over NO by virtue of record against each). So now its a paper/scissors/rock thing. Normally you have to look at div if they are division rivals, but NO isn't in the NW like the other 2, so I'm not sure if you go to Conf records for all 3 then? Not sure, but I bet some one here would know.

I may have made a mistake somewhere in there, but I think its right...

zcarenow and IndoRockets like this.
  8. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Houston will play either Minn or Denver and GSW will play either SA or OKC in first round. We is all good.

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Can we even play Denver under any scenario? I thought them finishing in 8th was impossible at this point.

10. aristophanes34

No... and OKC cannot end up 7th either...

11. valorita

valorita Member

Badically it will be NO or Minn.
    Favorabte either way.

12. houston19519

houston19519 Member

I thought if OKC lost tonight vs MEM there could still be a possibility they will be a 7th seed?

13. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I think that would drop them to the 8th seed. 7th is not possible for them.

houston19519 likes this.
  14. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

The only way we play the Spurs in the 1st round is if the Nuggets/Pelicans/Thunder win tonight.

The dream scenario would be Jazz, Pelicans, Thunder, Wolves all win. Then the standings would be:

1. HOU
    2. GSW
    3. UTA
    4. POR
    5. NOP
    6. OKC
    7. SAS
    8. MIN
    Rockets would have an easy path to the WCF, even with Luc Mbah a Moute. Probably sweep the Wolves, or win in 5...then they'd get either a Pelicans team with only one reliable good player or they get a Blazers team who have struggled lately.

Warriors would have to beat Pop and the Spurs in the first round without Steph Curry, and then have to face either a red-hot Jazz team who just beat them by 40 points, or the Thunder.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  15. Manos

Manos Member

If Denver wins and SA loses, both would end up with 47 wins and SA holds a 2-1 record against Den. Assuming OKC beats MEM (they'll have 48 wins along with NO and either POR or UTH), in that case DEN would be in 8th and SA 7th postion.

16. houston19519

houston19519 Member

This could happen! Im looking at that UTA vs POR game -thats going to determine everything in my eyes

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good breakdown...

[​IMG]

I think we're hoping for wins by Minnesota, New Orleans, OKC and Utah tonight.

18. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I don't mind seeing the SAS play Warriors 1st rd which is more likely to happen than OKC playing them.

Manos likes this.
  19. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I wonder if the Blazers prefer playing Rockets in 2nd rd vs. Warriors. If so, they might want to lose tonight and drop to 4th.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

There is no chance OKC plays the Warriors as 7th seed. I posted the same chart last night. It explained why
    the Warriors completely laid over for the Jazz last night. They didn’t want anything to do with the Thunder
    in the 3 possible scenarios that could pit them together had the Warriors won.

Cowards. Kinda explains why the Warriors have been playing wimpy like for the last 10 games.
    They’ve been more concerned with jerking around the seedlings than actually playing right.

If Memphis wins tonight. That means the Thunder want us in the first round. Bring it on.

#100 ApacheWarrior, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018