1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets: What's gone right and wrong this preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've never known Beverley not to give it his all. Beverley not looking good when other players are just going through preseason motions is not a good thing.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

I wouldn't say I'm low on McDaniels. I am a little concerned that his shooting doesn't seem to have turned, but no need to write him off yet. The truth, however, is that he's in a really challenging spot to get playing time on this team. DMo is the only "shooter" in our front court, which means we need every guard to be able to space the floor. Since he's not going to get time over Ariza or Brewer, he's essentially a guard right now.

Especially with DMo out, we need Thornton's shooting with the 2nd unit. When DMo comes back, maybe you can capitalize on his ability to stretch the floor and find cutters (ie KJ).

3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Clutch...

I have to agree with you on Montrezl Harrell...

I have been jumping up and screaming that we need a PF and now we have a future one... This kid reminds me of a mix of a young Dennis Rodman and Antonio McDyess..

I still believe we need a PF until this kid is ready for the spot light...

I have no faith.. I mean no faith in Jones.. At least not as a starter..

I am still not totally confident in D-Mo.. I love D-Mo coming off the bench at the 4 or 5.

Great Article...

T_Man

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Great piece!

I agree with everything except Dekker. Yes, he will spend time in the D League but he will not be able to contribute to this team over the next 2 years or so in any meaningful way.

IMO he is a waste of a pick. I would have gone Jeriant Grant and looked to package Bev and TJ for a significant 4 upgrade in Feb that will surely put us over the top.

Marcus Thornton can handle back up point and Jeriant would be a good insurance to have.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Did it.
    It's not that rare...

Rookie F, G-F, F-G, that played 10+ minutes in a game in the playoffs, drafted 14th or higher (Dekker 18th overall) from 1995-current
    Luke Walton, 2nd round 32nd pick, 17 games, Lakers
    Tayshaun Prince, 23rd pick, 15 games, Pistons
    Kawhi Leonard, 15th pick, 14 games, Spurs
    Chris Copeland, undrafted, 9 games, Knicks
    Hedo Turkoglu, 16th pick, 8 games, Kings
    Shandon Anderson, 2nd round 25th pick, 18 games, Jazz
    Francisco Garcia, 23rd pick, 6 games, Kings
    Josh Howard, 29th pick, 5 games, Mavs
    Peja Stojakovic, 14th pick, 5 games, Kings
    Devean George, 23rd pick, 9 games, Lakers
    Ronnie Brewer, 14th pick, 8 games, Jazz
    Gordan Giricek, 2nd round 40th pick, 7 games, Magic
    Bojan Bogdanovic, 2nd round 30th pick, 6 games, Nets
    Casey Jacobsen, 22nd pick, 6 games, Suns
    Marquis Daniels, undrafted, 5 games, Mavs
    Antoine Wright, 15th pick, 5 games, Nets

EDIT: So this is a rook who contributed to a playoff team IN THE PLAYOFFS. Not a rook who instantaneously proved his value & prowess in the 1st regular season game, much less the 1st 4 preseason games. Remember rookie playoff Capela was not the same as rookie early season Capela. Way too early to toss in the towel on Dekker.

#25 cdrive, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

As long as Howard has that significant forward head posture, his risk for back issues is higher than it should be. If they haven't vigorously attacked that issue by now, or enough, then they're not going to and will just manage it. I have my fingers crossed. Same with DMo.

7. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

what a wasted of a 16th pick!!
    it is just preseason, and he is still young but Dekker sucks.

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't Jones have that same bad posture too? We need a posture coach smh.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

18th.

We are angry that an 18th pick isn't an instant contributer?

10. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Are we all in agreement that his absence in the postseason hurt us? Beverley has experienced times when he gets hurt and becomes much less effective or useless to the Rockets. I'm sure he has it in the back of his head that he isn't going to go balls-to-the-wall crazy against the Timberwolves this year like he did his first year in the league. He's still very much a defensive pest. He needs to be released at the right times.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I still gonna have to wait for this thread to get going before I comment on Ty :p

Great points across the board Clutch, as usual.

Watching Clint throw it down the way he does, and seeing him go after rebounds with great instincts... reminds me of a young someone.

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'd still call that rare, but yeah.....not "never". About 1 player across 16 teams per year, and most of those guys were backups to the backup.

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Good post Clutch. Agree with all and will add that Lawson should help the team cut down on their turnovers and help quarterback the team which they've been missing for a while.

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

Exactly, we all should remember this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6ZNuAbQ6PJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

This is the Bev we need. He has terrible PG awareness but if he gets bad to this level on the defensive end, its on like DK.

16. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Royce White had issues not basketball related. Dorsey and White and some skills that gave you a slight glimmer of hope that they could hang with the big boys. Honestly in 7 games, have you seen any from Dekker?

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's been awhile since we've seen that defensive beverley. hopefully he can play like he has a chip on his shoulder again instead of being comfortable

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Thank you for being honest Clutch. I hope you don't get blackballed by Morey. You're a brave man

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're judging a player who didnt even play in the summer league. steps foot into the NBA amongst a championship caliber team filled with veterans and established players all around and you want to act like you have a rookie figured out in 7 games? Please get in contact with DM. they need to hire you ASAP

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I agree with most of what Clutch said. I'm not sweating the defense too much. First of all, it's preseason. If you think these veteran players are gonna go all out on both ends of the floor in meaningless games(even Bev and Ariza), you're kidding yourself. Secondly, the lineups have had no consistency. Especially at the center position. So it's hard to maintain a solid team defense when the team is never the same. That'll change in the regular season the moment Dwight and Capela are manning the paint for 48 minutes a night(except when Dwight possibly sits out B2Bs).

As for Dwight, I'm not really sweating that either. I don't think the Rockets are hiding anything with the guy missing all but one preseason game. I think they're just being protective of him after what happened last year. Remember, he got injured very early on last season(missed the 7th game with the flu and then was out the 12th game through I believe the next 11) and pretty much never got back into the lineup consistently after that. Even after he did return after the All-Star Break, he missed B2Bs. Best case scenario, I'm guessing he plays around 60 games. He'll miss the season opener because of the suspension and then probably sit out B2Bs. Perhaps even more if Capela continues to make an impact.

As for the rest of the lineup, I've been impressed with Lawson(offensively at least), Thornton, Harrell, Ariza, and Brewer. And Joshua Smith has done well in limited minutes. We could do worse with a third string center after suffering through Joey Dorsey last season. This team is stacked. If they can stay healthy and if the defensive lapses are just a preseason issue, they're gonna be tough to beat this year.