1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, May 7, 2014.

1. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

Bima I've been wondering if it would be possible to do the following:

If the Rockets were to make Parsons a restricted free agent this summer by declining his contract and then matched whatever offer he was given (say 8-10 mil), would they be able to immediately turn around and trade him or would they have to wait a certain amount of time?

If they could trade him immediately after, this would give the Rockets even more salary to send out in a trade in order to match salaries. This would let the Rockets trade just two of Lin, Parsons, or Asik for 8.3mil + Parsons 8-10mil + 125% out in order to match a big contract such as Melo's or Love's. The Knicks might prefer this over having to take on Asik since he would be redundant with Tyson Chandler.

I don't know if it is even possible to match Parsons and then immediately trade him and even if it is, it could be seen as a sort of mistreatment by the organization. Can you imagine Parsons signing a contract with a contender, to be matched by the Rockets, just to end up with the Knicks? That would suck for him.

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The way I read the CBA it would appear that it has to be written in to the contract when signed. Here's the actual verbage from the CBA:

To effectuate the requirement set forth in the preceding sentence, every such Contract that provides for an Advance must contain the following language (and only such language) under the “Payment Schedule” heading in Exhibit 1A with respect to each applicable Season:s Current Base Compensation with respect to the _________ Season(s) shall be paid in accordance with paragraph 3(a), except that the November 15 installment of such Current Base Compensation and, if necessary afterreducing in full the November 15 installment, the December 1 installment of such Current Base Compensation shall be reduced by $[amount of Advance], which amount shall be paid to Player in advance on [date].”

I take that to mean that it has to be written into the contract along with the payment schedule. Since he's a lawyer, Bima should be able to offer a better interpretation.

3. basketballholic

Yes, I've read that. And it appears to me, a non-attorney, that it has to be written when the contract is signed.

However, http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q61

indicates the possibility of modifying the pay schedule.

By the way, here's Coon on advances:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q111

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

From Coon's FAQ:

In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

For three months or until December 15 of that season (whichever is later) after signing a contract as a free agent or matching an offer sheet to a restricted free agent. This obviously does not apply to the trade completing a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 90).

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q99

If a team matches an offer sheet and retains its free agent, then for one year they cannot trade him without his consent, and during that year cannot trade him at all to the team that signed him to the offer sheet. They also can't trade the player in a sign-and-trade transaction

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44

So under the scenario that you describe he couldn't be traded until Dec. 15th and then you'd have to have his permission for the trade until a year after the signing. Also couldn't be traded to the team that he signed the offer sheet with for a period of a year (even with permission).

5. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

Okay cool, thanks. I figured there was some restriction against it, I had just never heard it.

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Thanks Mr. Weiner. :cool: Great read

7. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

too bad you cant trade away Lin and Asik to get a real coach...

8. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

9. Raven

Raven Member

Since both Lin and Asik are entering their final year, both will be receive "balloon" payments, correct? Though only half their salary actually counts against the cap, correct? So does this make their expiring contracts more valuable, at the deadline, or less valuable?

10. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

this will be an interesting offseason/feb 15 trade deadline

i love that we've fully embraced the D-league team - in for no other reason than to round out this roster with some homegrown, minimum salaries.

i think it will take some H&H recruiting to make this team complete. agents and players have a ton of input in this process.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Less valuable to the point of untradeable. If a deal for these guys happen it has to be before the season starts or in Asik's case early in the season. Lin has to be dealt ASAP before the few opportunities if they exist for a salary dump dry up.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I suspect that there are a few teams who would take on Lin and his salary if given the right sweetener. Philly and the Lakers come to mind since not only do they have the cap room but are in a situation not to contend next year. Unfortunately the sweetener will most likely be a 1st rounder.

As far as Asik I think he'll be "easier" to deal given supply and demand for a center of his skill. Unfortunately I don't see Morey pulling off any of these deals given the nature of the contracts

14. red32

red32 Member

What's going to happen is that they're going to let Asik and Lin finish their contract and not pick up Parsons option. This gives Houston the max room for 15-16.

15. paymon

paymon Member

That would be wasting another year of Dwight's prime

16. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Depends if the team they are going to is cashed up or not the the tune of an extra $7 million for each.

Maybe NY or Brooklyn or Lakers cause they are already in the tax and are cashed up.

17. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Very informative and well written article as always. Thanks.

One thing I noticed is that you used "gel" instead of "jell". Just a little grammatical pet peeve.

18. red32

red32 Member

He's already past his prime but still good.

19. joesr

joesr Member

Question, why does the league pick up a portion of the tab for Garcia and Omri if they decline and resign?

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

When a team signs a veteran to a ONE-year (or partial season) league minimum deal, that team only pays the player up to the amount of the two-year veteran's minimum salary, and the NBA picks up the rest of the player's salary.

This rule was put in place a couple of CBAs ago in order to discourage teams from filling out their rosters with younger vets in order to avoid paying out the higher minimums for older vets.

However, the rule does not apply to TWO-year league minimum deals, to which both Garcia and Casspi were signed last summer.