1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Josh Smith just turned down a $15M/yr contract from ATL. He currently makes $13.2M and will surely be looking for a raise, especially since this may be his last big contract since he'll be over 30yrs old after the contract ends. Not sure how much he's willing to sacrifice to come to Houston. You may have to pay more than $13M a yr.

2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

So you think there's a chance that Morey has not worked any angle associated with White? Really?

Sorry, but that's just irrational to believe.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets will eventually have to pay the stiffer luxury tax that kicks in this year (although it likely won't be until 2014-15 at the earliest).

The REPEATER tax is over and above the new higher luxury tax (100% extra across the board) for teams that have exceeded the luxury tax 3/4 or 4/5 years during the new CBA. By staying under the tax through the 2013-14 season, I don't believe the Rockets will qualify as "repeaters" until this CBA expires.

1 person likes this.
  4. da_juice

da_juice Member

Thanks Bima!

5. basketballholic

Not sure we'll even hit the luxury tax before the opt out in 3 years.

6. Jfan27

Jfan27 Member

What about Jose Calderon? I know he shot about 45% from 3 and I think the team needs a good vet too. Im not sure if there would be a way to work the money out though. Would be nice to have a guy who can get the ball to Harden or (fingers crossed) Howard and then be able to spot up for three.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Joe Joe, Thanks for the comment on the proposed trade.

In my scenario though, Lin would go to Detroit (a team that has been reported to be interested in him). Atlanta would just be helping facilitate the Smith S&T and for their troubles they would get picks of some kind. Maybe the 2nd rounders the Rockets just got from Portland.

They key to my trade example is "getting Josh Smith and KEEPING Asik" at the same time.

Skyhoop, I know Smith is making 15M now, but this is a new CBA and if he wants to play with the Rockets Howard/Harden grouping, he will have to start at 13M.
    BTW, that's the number Larry Coon suggested as well.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-130703/what-top-nba-free-agents-worth

8. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

Calderon will most likely be out of the Rockets price range. He'll get at least $5M/per.

9. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Where did you read this? Can you point me to the source?

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think the Rockets can pay 15 or 16 million with matching under the trade rules. The biggest thing for Rockets is whether Smith is worth Lin (or Asik) or not. I do prefer Asik over Lin.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Rockets "could pay," but shouldn't pay. A contract starting at 13M (which is less than Harden) should be enough to join this "super team"

Again, assuming the Rockets get Dwight. If I am the Rockets I would say to Smith, we can make a trade to get you here starting at 13M. Or you could join a team like Detroit for a deal starting at 15M. Are you willing to take less to join the Rockets for a championship run? Or do you want to make 2M more and sit in it in Detroit for 4 years.

Asik at 8M is a much better value than Lin at 8M, so yeah, that's why you would want to keep Asik.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Definitely agree Asik is more valuable than Lin. The question is will Smith make Rockets a contender. At 16 Mil, Rockets would still have 5 million cushion below luxury tax and should be able to stay under apron. Bickering over a couple million dollars won't gain Rockets much more flexibility since they are way over cap and probably can't hit apron for two season.

I think Smith is a max player, barely.

13. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

No, not really. I was not implying that Morey was not working every angle -- I was just saying that I am dying to know what all those angles are and what the price tag for dumping White might be. Or at least hear/engage in wild speculation about what those angles might be.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The trade I am suggesting previously (J Smith starting at 13M) would have our roster looking like this

Beverly / Canaan
    Harden / Anderson
    Parsons /
    J Smith / T Jones / Furkan Aldemir
    Howard / Asik / G Smith / Ohlbrecht

Rockets could still look at Corey Brewer or Garcia as a backup 3 with our exception. And the Rockets could look for a Vet PG on a cheap deal playing for a contender.

15. Jfan27

Jfan27 Member

I like the look of this, having a three man big rotation with Asik, Smith, and Howard sounds lethal. Although I've heard Atlanta wants us to include Asik in the sign and trade for Smith. And they would most likely be able to find better value for him elsewhere.

16. Jfan27

Jfan27 Member

And by that last statement I mean than the second round picks

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

They might not! Smith can walk and they get nothing. He is a UFA. Same with JJ Redick and the Bucks. But the Bucks grabbed 2 2nd round picks for him in the Bledsoe/Dudley/Reddick trade.

See, there are a number of teams that can absorb Smith with the Hawks getting nothing. So they don't have as much leverage. Would they rather have a few 2nd round picks or nothing?

18. Jfan27

Jfan27 Member

I see your point. If it works out im all for it. While I would like a good vet pg (I wanted Calderon) to start, I think Beverly and Canaan could do just fine.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Speaking of Vet PGs...how about Chauncey Billups?

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If we do a deal involving Jeremy or (I hope not) Omer, my hope is that White is tied to it. We could pay his salary for next season (assuming we can still use what we have left of the $3 million or so we're allowed per annum), and sweeten it with a future 2nd round pick for using up that team's roster spot. What we'd need is one of the possible teams willing to have a roster spot taken up by White. Anyone know the possibility of that kind of scenario? Is it reasonable at all, and do we have the cash still to pay White's salary?

I'm very interested in getting rid of this headache.