1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jan 31, 2012.

1. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I'm not sure this thread is meant to be 'realistic expectations moving forward'. I think it's meant to show us the salary cap room the team will have for maneuvering during the season and through the off-season. And a part of that discussion is the expected plans that the front office has for using this salary cap room.

I think most of us can agree that what we think Plan A is has a very low chance of happening...some would say no chance (and they're wrong). But when you're setting plans in motion, you shoot for the stars, and expect the moon.

I can appreciate your trying to keep us grounded here. But you're being a turd in the punchbowl. ;)

Let's dream for the stars now, and accept the moon when that's as far as we get.

2. faraza84

faraza84 Member

I guess march 1st is the magic day things will start happening.

Thanks bima, I'm sure the rockets could use you in the war room during draft night crunching numbers and simulations.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Ideal scenario you trade Lowry and Scola to the Nets for Deron trade Martin to the Wolves for Beasley and an expiring. TANK HARD FOR A TOP THREE PICK. Then sign Howard in the offseason.

Deron+Howard+Beasley+top 3 pick and Knicks pick = contender

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

How about we amnesty Scola to free up about 24.4 million in caps space and give 12 million dollar offer sheets to both Brooke Lopez (to play at PF) and Gerald Wallace? Neither are superstars but both are near all star caliber players. I am not that high on Lopez at C, but perhaps playing him at PF alongside Dalembert, would make him into a better player?

Lowry / Lee
    Martin / Budinger
    Wallace / Parsons
    Lopez / Patterson
    Dalembert / D-Mo

I think that is a SOLID team, with the NY pick to boot.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This is what I've been saying for awhile now about the rox and their ability to get out of the tailspin. The rockets need to have enough money to offer williams and howard max deals. Neither of those guys are coming here without the other, its that simple. One thing the rockets couldve done or attempted to do was trade scola for a te as soon as the lockout was over. The few people I still know told me back then that Indy was looking to add a vet scoring pf. This is the team I had said the rockets could dump scola to. They like Tyyle, but he is just an energy guy. It didn't happen and of course the Pacers signed david west.

The rockets will not be able to trade for or sign and trade for Howard because they dont have enough high ceiling players. Until they crash and burn and there is no hope of retaining williams, the rockets cant get him either. What they must do and I'm sure Bima can clear it up is have roughly 38m of cap space this summer. The only way the can do that is by dumping scola to start. Once they have the money and they can host both guys, if they get both, they can then trade lowry for some dept to round out the team.They have to get the money and get in the game. Thats why I'm highly in favor of trading for Kaman with scola being the central piece.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't see how this is a better team than what we have now.

I think some of you guys are really undervaluing Scola and his contribution to this team.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I don't think we get Dwight and Deron to come here with cap space. New Jersey already has enough cap space to add Dwight and he says he wants to go there. Plus, I think the odds favor Dallas giving up guys this trade deadline for expiring contracts to create the same cap space we would have to sign both Dwight and Deron as a package. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mavs sent Beaubous out with Marion to New Orleans for Kaman or to one of several other clubs for their expiring. Cleveland is sitting there with Jamison's $15 million expiring. I suspect Dallas will move out enough salary to be sitting there with $38 million of cap space. And if we have to compete against that, well, good luck.

The truth is....Howard is going to be traded on March 15. And wherever he is traded is in the catbird's seat to keep him IF.....they have enough cap room to sign Deron outright after the season and they are in a position to win immediately. And this is the only scenario I see of us being able to get these guys.

If the Clippers aren't willing to send Blake and Deandre and the Lakers really aren't willing to send Bynum and Gasol, then we've got a chance to turn our assets into desirable pieces for Orlando for Dwight and still have enough room left over to sign Deron outright or trade for him when NJ realizes he is gone for nothing if they don't move him.

That's why I say we should throw the kitchen sink at Orlando for Dwight even without a commitment from Dwight to stay here. Because if he actually doesn't stay here, then we still get gobs of cap space. We can use it judiciously on guys like Lopez, Asik, etc. and just bide our time waiting for another trade.

Also, I think it's more highly likely that Dwight gets the Bird's rights contract and Deron is willing to sign outright for the non-Bird's rights contract than vice versa. NJ has an almost 9% sales tax. Breaking that down, it amounts to a 4.5% net salary loss over the course of a season. There goes your Bird's rights differences right there. Yeah, the contract is a year shorter, but if Deron stays healthy, that's a non-issue as well with an extension. Not to mention cost of living down here is much better than up there. And Market?? Those guys have to compete with the Knicks every day for market. What I'm saying is, if we get Dwight here, I think it is much more likely that Deron signs here than that Dwight leaves here and goes to NJ and signs.

If we really want cap space because we think Lopez or Asik and somebody else is worth the max, then we should help Dwight get to NJ by taking back Okur/Humphries/Brooks for Scola and Martin.

#67 jopatmc, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The rockets dont have anything of value to offer Orlando that can match what gsw is about to offer. In my opinion, howard isnt going to be traded. If gsw is willing to give up curry, then maybe. In terms of williams, at seasons end, the possibility of playing with howard somewhere else is going to be attractive. Howard isnt going to commit to nj unless williams is signed or opts in to assure them of it.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You don't see how Gerald Wallace and Brook Lopez would make us a better team in comparison to Luis Scola?

I love Luis, but come on now...

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Golden State won't trade for Dwight without a commitment from him to stay. And you tell me what Golden State has to offer Orlando for Dwight that is better than Lowry/Martin/Dally/Scola and either Patterson or Morris. I don't see it even if you include both Monta and Curry.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Scola has been really bad this year.

Wallace is a huge upgrade to anything we have at the 3 and I think Lopez will get better, while Scola is only going to get better.

12. LowrySauce

LowrySauce Member

IMO

I don't even want D-will on the team. I hear he just isnt playing well in NJ because he doesnt wanna be there. If this is true than i dont want that kind of guy on the roster. Lowry will give his all even if the team doesnt score 1 bucket all night. I dont want someone who will play on his own agenda. Im not the only one, Correct?

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes normally. Scola's production this year however is below his average...... He sucks big time this year in terms of production.

14. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

Haven't been around in a bit, some family issues, anyway just saw this article on main page and searched for the thread. And anyone think we try to deal Dragic, Scola or Martin? And what would we likely get in return?

I'm enjoying us actually looking good but still looking towards the future. I would like to keep Scola, but I imagine if a star PF comes available we should part ways.

I just hope out all the players we have we keep Lowry and Patterson.

15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Looks like we just lost about $4.5 million in salary cap room for this summer, depending on Dallas' record. Probably doesn't matter, there are no max-worthy free agents we could lure here, anyway.