1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: The New CBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 5, 2011.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Ok, Bima, where are you at?

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm right here, man.

I wanted to reserve my thoughts until I see HOW the Rockets acquire Dalembert.

Until I see that he has signed a contract outright with Houston, I am holding out hope that Morey can somehow acquire him via S&T with Sacramento. For instance, the Battier TPE is large enough to absorb Dalembert's new salary. There's even the (slight) chance for a dual S&T of Chuck for Dalembert.

A S&T would be preferable to an outright signing, since it would preserve all of the Rockets' cap exceptions and other TPEs. If they just opt for cap space to sign Dalembert, they'll have to renounce all of those exceptions, TPEs and cap holds.

The problem here for the Rockets (besides getting Sacramento to bite) is that all contracts signed in S&T deals must be at least three years long, although only one year needs to be guaranteed.

The way Morey has structured Dalembert's deal (two years, with the second year only partially guaranteed) can't be done in a S&T deal. There must be an extra year. The Rockets likely don't want any guarantee on that third year. Dalembert likely doesn't want another non-guaranteed season.

I'm not a huge fan of Dalembert, but he was the best remaining alternative and can definitely help this team. He does what this team needs: rebound defensively and block shots.

I actually like the contract structure. It allows the Rockets to add a good player without sacrificing much cap flexibility for next year. If he has a great season, then you've got yourself a bargain on a center for 2012-13. If he flames out, the team can cut its losses fairly easily. (I may have more to say about this in a blog entry once Dalembert actually signs and the terms of his deal are finalized.)

Cap-wise, no matter how he is acquired, this will likely wipe out any potential 2011-12 cap room. But so what? They had no one better to use it on, anyway. And even if the Rockets eat the partial guarantee in 2012, they'll still have plenty of cap room next summer if they want.

#82 BimaThug, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cap room to the whole for 2.......yIPPPEEEE !!!!

DD

4. jopatmc

That's what I was wondering. The big announcement that he is a Rocket followed by dead silence for a couple days now. I kinda thought they were probably working on a S&T. Now Chuck is cleared to play again. Perhaps General Stern is looking over this S&T now and questioning it since Chuck had already signed the contract.

Or perhaps we're sending Sacramento some other player as an incentive for them to help us with the S&T. Don't see what Sacramento gets out of a straight up S&T deal unless we sending them an extra million dollars or so.

However, I'm assuming that Morey is still going to finish this deal off with us being able to sweep Sammy out of here for $1.5 million next season.

The other thing I'm wondering about is if the Lopez injury has caused Orlando to do a double take and maybe.....just maybe....Morey is holding off for a few days to see if Orlando will talk turkey with us about Dwight.

It's obvious to me that Morey is maintaining the threat of being able to sign two guys to max deals in the summer of 2012 with the way he is structuring contracts. And the longer the Dwight/Deron situation drags out, the better we are going to look, our young players are going to get court time and increase in value to be more attractive trade assets.

I'm thinking that Morey maintaining the flexibility to sign two guys to max contracts in 2012 is going to hold the Orlando front office's feet to the fire on Dwight. Now, with NJ signing Okur, they don't have room to take on Hedo's contract. We would seem to look even better to Orlando than NJ at the moment with the combination of Lopez' broken foot and NJ's inability to take on Hedo for nothing. Perhaps Morey is extending a go for broke deal to Orlando before he fully commits to Dally???? What do you think?

5. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Dalembert already signed his contract and is gonna practice tomorrow.

We would still be able to do a Dwight trade with/without Dalembertt.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Bima, Feigen confirmed that it's a outright signing, not S&T and said much of what you said here: structure of deal allowed only under regular signing, also, need to entice Kings to help out with at least a 2nd round pick or some minor asset since they are far enough under the cap that a trade exception isn't of value to them.

Feigen also said that the Rockets wouldn't even have the $2.5 million mini-mid level due to the signing. Is this true? How does it work? I thought the mini-mid is designed for teams that were under the cap before, but signed somebody to get them over.

7. jopatmc

So, did we lose the Battier TPE????

8. BimaThug

Supporting Member

CH, you added language to your quote of me that wasn't mine. Was that your writing that just mistakenly got into my quote?

On the $2.5M exception: This is what is known as the "Room Exception". It is available to teams that use their cap room all the way to the salary cap max, allowing them to go over by signing a player to a $2.5M deal. The Rockets should have this available to use.

Both you and Feigen may have gotten confused by you asking him about the "mini-mid level". That is something different. Teams that do not want to become subject to a $74M hard cap can only use $3M of the MLE. This is known as the "mini-mid level" exception. The Rockets cannot use this exception, since they (allegedly) renounced the MLE in order to sign Dalembert.

jopatmc, if the Rockets ACTUALLY signed Dalembert to his contract (I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets keep trying for a S&T until the last possible moment), then that means no more TPEs, no more MLE, no more BAE, and no more cap holds on former players (including Yao Ming).

9. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

If we just sign Dalembert to his regular reported contract, do we lose out on our TPE's?

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yep, that's what I wrote in the last paragraph of what you just quoted.

With an outright signing, no more TPEs.

Also, I'm guessing that some/all of Lin, Cousin and Blakely will officially be waived (to the extent they hadn't already been waived).

11. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Dang, that sucks.

A TPE would have been useful in a deadline trade.

What could we possibly offer to Orlando which could trump LAL and NJ both financially and basketball wise?

12. cod

cod Member

[​IMG]

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can you waive a guy who got amnestied right away?

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No, you wrote it and just don't remember that you did. :)

Yeah, it was an accident.

15. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Lin wasn't amnestied. He was just "regular" waived.

You can waive any player at any time. You may just have to pay the player's salary. None of Lin, Cousin or Blakely is guaranteed any salary if waived prior to the regular season.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Was Bell. Never mind. ;)

17. H-Town Rockets Guy

18. jopatmc

So we lose the Battier TPE if this is an outright signing, but we can still do a trade using the 140% rule, correct?

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

As long as a team is not over (or would not, as a result of the trade, cross into) the luxury tax threshold, it can now take back up to the LESSER of (a) 150% of the outgoing salary plus $100,000 or (b) 100% of the outgoing salary plus $5M.

Tax-paying teams are subject to the prior limit of 125% of the outgoing salary plus $100,000.

The Rockets, who are nowhere near the luxury tax now, are subject to the first limit above.

(The "140%" thing was just an early report that was later changed in negotiations.)

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Bima, sorry to change the subject, but is JT still on the roster since he failed his physical?