1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: The New CBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 5, 2011.

1. stmeph

stmeph Member

Bima -- thanks for the incredibly informative read.

If we amnesty Scola come 2012, would that give us enough cap room for 2x max? Clear the logjam at PF and get enough space for Howard + Paul?

2. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/category/_/name/free-agent-reports

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Chuck Hayes Cap hold is now gone, freeing up that money for whomever they are chasing.

DD

4. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

KBergCBS Ken Berger
    Appears to be small change in A-list item in CBA term sheet: minimum team salary this season is 80 pct of cap, 85 pct next season, then 90.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Only a difference of $2.9M, but still might change the complexity of some things (both free agency & trade wise).

Teams like the Kings, Nuggets & Pacers now won't have as much incentive to overpay players as they would have had with a minimum team salary of 85%, nor will they be as open to absorbing contracts from other teams.

Not sure what it means for the Rockets. Could be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. Probably doesn't make a difference.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Well, this will be an interesting decision.

Assuming now that Chuck takes Sacramento's offer, the Rockets should have about $7.8M in cap room to spend . . . OR . . . they could instead keep their MLE ($5M), their BAE ($1.9M) and their trade exceptions (including the $7.35M Battier TPE).

Frankly, for Samuel Dalembert, I'd rather cap my offer at the MLE (making sure he knows that he'll be a bigger part of the offense here than in Miami, which still might only offer the "lower MLE" of $3M) and let him take it or leave it.

Is the extra $2.8M in starting salary (and slightly larger annual salary increases) worth losing that Battier TPE for anyone other than maybe Nene or Tyson Chandler?

7. anchel

anchel Member

Hmm, I think if Dalembert chooses Houston is because we are giving him 7-8...

8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Staying under the cap keeps us in the amnesty auction as well, right?

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, good point. That's another "pro" for cap room.

Still, . . . giving up that Battier TPE will be tough, especially when you'd still have the full MLE to offer free agents.

10. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

If we lose out on Hayes waiting for Dalembert......epic fail on Morey's part.

I could stomach getting Nene/Chandler and losing Hayes but for Dalembert?

Disgusting!

11. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I would hate for DMorey to sign Dalembert, but if it really takes more to get him, one possibility would be to use the Battier TPE for a sign and trade with Dalembert, perhaps sending back Jonny Flynn. Sacramento seems a bit thin at PG if they convert Reke to a 2 full time, and can afford to take a flyer on his salary since they need to hit the minimum.

Doing such a move would halve the Rockets Cap room, so they could either keep the MLE and a $3.4M TPE (which could be a great chip as it would cover a tax-payer MLE contract) and the BAE, or if they want to get in on an amnesty free agent, they could renounce their exceptions and amnesty Thabeet to get up to a healthy $9M in room.

Having said all that, I don't want Dalembert.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bima,

I had another thought (I know scary), but what would happen in March when all those players stuck in China become available and can be offered contracts etc.

What would stop a team from offering Brooks $10 million for year one, knowing they would only have to pay about $1.5 of it, but the cap hit would be for $10million.

Thus forcing the Suns to think about paying Tax on a huge salary as all of that $10 million would be counted against the cap.

Same for JR Smith etc.

Am I doing it right?

DD

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

PAGING BIMA!!!

HOW MUCH MONEY CAN WE SPEND NOW!!!

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not Bima but...

Jonathan_Feigen Jonathan Feigen

15. HMMMHMM

Yeah, if it's Martin, Scola and Dragic for Gasol the Rockets creat an extra $3,505,483 in cap room.

16. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

I'd personally go after Marc Gasol rather than Nene.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

If you threw max money at Marc (not saying you should) don't they have 4 days to match now under the new CBA?

18. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Only 3 days......

Old CBA required 7 days...

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

If we could find a taker for Thabeet (difficult to stomach an amnesty cut with no guarantees), and Nene stays in Denver, go ahead and sign Gasol to the $16 million offer sheet. Worst case scenerio, Memphis would end up in luxury tax land. Then maybe Memphis is forced to dump Gay to us for a second round pick, given we have the cap space. ;)

20. HMMMHMM

Just saw that Gasol has a 15% trade kicker.
    I'm not 100% on trade kicker rules so I'll let Bima explain what this means in terms of cap room.

(I'm pretty sure it means [quite a bit] less than $3,505,483).