1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: The New CBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Given the salary situation, it would make sense to go the S&T route with some of these guys. I wonder if one of the rookies, a future pick, a young player (Bud the Dinger? Pat the Patterson?), or even someone like Scola might be involved (would hate to see Scola go, but if you are adding a front-court player and want to give, say, Patterson more minutes...).

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I like it in theory. Good stuff to read and ponder. Of course its more waiting and being patient. Thats what it takes though. Around that time Lakers, Spurs, Celtics, and some other teams big time players skills should be declining. Opening up the opportunity for the Rockets and their young players to start making some noise at around the same time too.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I am curious what Morey's top dollar is on Nene. 13.71 million would certainly be a lot, but I still think it's not terrible for the Rockets and it seems like a number Nene would take.

Also, is it realistically just between us and the Nets for Nene?

4. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Yeah, I think right now it's either us or the Nets for Nene.

The Warriors are also after a big man but their top priority is Chandler. They think they have enough offense and want a defensive minded center like Chandler as opposed to a more well rounded one like Nene.

The Kings are a darkhorse since I think they only have like 35 million dollars tied to their roster.

They would be a team that would drive the price up of a FA and piss the rest of the league off.

The key for us to land Nene or Chandler would be to sign them at a price that is reasonable enough to be an attractive trade piece at the deadline for a guy like Howard or have enough capspace to sign one of the Markee free agents in 2012.

Like BimaThug alluded to, flexibility is the key.

5. anchel

anchel Member

And Denver I guess. But the Nets are the big favourites, I'd say.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That's why I was curious what Morey's top dollar is. The Nets can easily offer him a max contract. That would take some work for us. It would be possible, but probably a pretty bad idea.

Oh well we will find out soon enough.

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Good stuff Bima.

I didn't think that the contracts Cousins and Blakely would change due to the changes in the minum wage. I mean, they signed their contracts some time last season, so I figured those contracts -- like every other contract -- would remain the same.
    Do they just sign a contract without any figures that just reads something like 'minimum wage of CBA'?

I was a little surprise you didn't mention the Rockets dumping Thabeet to a team like Sacramento instead of using their amnesty clause on him.
    Do you just don't think it's likely?

Also, -- and I think Carl H. was referring to this as well -- I might have been even more surprised that you didn't mention the possibilty of a sign&trade for Nene.
    Doesn't it make A LOT of sense for both teams? (getting closer to the minimum team salary, getting something for Nene, keeping TPEs & Chuck's bird rights)
    Do you just think the Nuggets won't be interested in trading Nene to a team that technically doesn't have enough cap space to do so? Or do you maybe think they'd just ask for too much?
    Thabeet, Hill, Cousin & Blakely would be enough to do a s&t for Nene with year 1 starting at $13.31M, which is more than I think the Rockets would be willing to offer Nene.

8. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

Excellent read, you really do a great job of these articles Bima.

Intersting situation the Rockets have on their hands, I personally think using the amnesty on Thabeet is a waste of time, if we can get Nene that would be nice but in obtaining him id try to get D12 or CP3 somehow?

The main goal should be to keep maximum cap flex for next year and if Howard/CP3 or Deron opt to become free agents go all out for them and try to convince them to sign here.
    If we can somehow trade Kev Martin or Scola for someone on a cheap deal or picks to fit those two under the cap, or last resort amnesty one of the 2 to be able to sign 2 max FA.

9. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

BimaThug,

What is the deadline to decide on 2012-13 options?? (It was Oct. 31, 2011 before the lockout postponed this date, but I've never heard the new date.

We've got options on Thabeet, Hill, TWill, Flynn, PPat & Bud totalling $20MM!

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Blakely and Cousin contracts were keyed to the league minimum salary.

I didn't mention trading Thabeet, since any number of trades are possible. I tried to steer clear of playing the "Trade Game," instead focusing on the team's cap situation with the current roster barring any trades.

I don't think a new deadline has been set yet, but I fully expect it to be reset at December 25 when it's all said and done.

Actually, Budinger was not a first round pick, so his option is different. The Rockets picked up Bud's 2011-12 option back in June and have until next July to pick up his 2012-13 option.

11. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

No, I envision that pick being part of a trade for Paul as well.

Basically, Paul and Howard would like to play together. I firmly believe that if (i) you trade for Paul, (ii) you have enough cap space left to sign Howard, and (iii) you still have some good pieces to put around them (like Lee and Scola, for example), you are the front runner for Howard, regardless of what market you're in. And Houston is a good (though perhaps not great) market for NBA players.

Martin is our best player, he isn't overpaid, he is still fairly young, and NOLA needs a shooting guard. Therefore, if we were to trade for Paul, I assume that Martin would be part of the deal, thus freeing up space to sign Howard.

12. davestrate

davestrate Member

Awesome read Thug, thank you very much for the article.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Exactly. $3 million plus the players to Sacramento Kings for nuthin but cap space. Sac would in all likelihood jump on Thabeet plus $3 million.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Remember, though, that the Rockets very likely might need to throw cash into any trade offer for Paul or Howard. The new CBA only allows teams to use up to $3M in cash in all trades combined.

15. cod

cod Member

So the unguaranteed contracts of Blakely and Cousin in combination with the Battier TE become more valuable? If a team is looking for a financial advantage the Rockets can offer their best deal only before the season starts?

16. jopatmc

Of course, this is provided we can't make a deal for CP3 or Dwight.

17. jopatmc

The reason why Morey is willing to trade for Paul without assurances he can sign him to an extension is because if we lose him, we might as well have cap space and the ability to rebuild on the fly with free agents and draft picks. That will be our one year lottery rebuild, with guys like Blake Griffin coming up on free agency next.

18. cod

cod Member

Source: Chron

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think the days of great players ever being unrestricted free agents are over. Cleveland got Leboned while Denver got great value for Melo. Look for trades of stars to be discounted if they refuse a sign and trade, especially if the star has expressed a desire to play in a certain venue (CP3 and NY). But a team that cannot sign a star by the trading deadline would be foolish to not realize whatever value they can for their asset.

That said the Rockets should probably use their $13m cap space and all of their excess assets by the trade deadline. The superstars probably won't be available after the 11/12 season. If they are they are probably headed to play with their buds in NY/LA/Miami/Chicago.

I believe that there are a number of possible straightforward avenues to get our team competing for a ring during the next 45 days.

20. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

HowardBeckNYT Howard Beck
    NBA position all along was that amnesty was for players already under contract AND on a team's roster as of July 1. Was some debate, tho