1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: The New CBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 5, 2011.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, I was wondering what starting salary we could get if we amnestied either one of them instead of Thabeet.

I know I am way in the minority, but bigs are hard to come by and I really want to see what Thabeet can do with consistent minutes.

And it seems we have far too many PGs on this team now, so to me, Flynn would be a more likely scenario.

Also, what would happen if we bought out some players, isn't there a stipulation that you can delay payment on some of them, so that the cap hit is less on your current year?

I did not see that addressed, if it is even possible.

Thanks again Bima, I love your articles !

DD

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Bima, can we still sign 2 max free agents in 2012? I've heard this line kicked around, but I don't see how it is possible without moving one of our longer deals to a team under the cap (Lowry being the obvious guy). Just to verify 2 max contracts for the guys available would be 30% of the cap each or 17.41 million x 2 = 34.82 million. Is that right?

3. cdastros

cdastros Member

If the Rockets amnesty Thabeet and a team signs him off the bargin bin process you mentioned in the article for like 2.5 million dollars (I don't think he would last past the Heat). Does that mean the Rockets only owe him 2.5 million dollars?

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets amnesty T-Will, then the Rockets could offer Nene or Chandler a starting salary of about $10.17M (increase that to about $10.95M if Morey holds off on signing the rookies until after signing the free agent).

If the Rockets amnesty Flynn, they can offer those guys a starting salary of about $11.22M (increased to just under $12M if they hold off signing the rookies).

The "Stretch Exception" to which you are referring only applies to NEW contracts (signed on or after December 9). Hence, I chose not to spend time on it in this update. I'm sure the Stretch Exception will make its way into future salary cap updates, though.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Theres no reason to amnesty either of those guys.

Surely you could just give them away for a TPE.

6. DaDakota

Hmmm, if we did that it would also free up the cap room right? Then why amnesty anyone on this team? Better to use a TPE if you need it and keep the Amnesty in your back pocket for a rainy day.

DD

7. BimaThug

Supporting Member

The Rockets CANNOT sign two free agents to max contracts without trading at least one of Martin, Scola or Lowry. Obviously, Morey would look to acquire at least one "max guy" via trade.

While you are correct that the "30% of cap max figure" is $17.4M. But the three superstars will be owed a little more (or a lot, in Howard's case).

Both Paul and D-Will (as 2005 draft picks) signed max extensions back in 2008. Each contract has a player option for 2012-13 at $17.78M. So, those guys can either (a) decline the player options of their contracts and sign four-year (or if re-signing with their old teams, five-year) deals starting at $17.4M or (b) sign extensions that would only pay them until 2014 (or until 2015 if re-signing with their old teams) but at the higher $17.78M figure. (There is also what is called the "105% rule" that allows max players to re-sign for 105% of their prior year's salary, regardless of what the max salary is, but that figure--$17.17M--is actually less than the "regular max".)

For Howard, a 2004 draft pick, he signed his max extension back in 2007 and has an Early Termination Option after this season. His current contract (if he elects not to opt out) would pay him $19.54M. So, Howard can either (a) opt out of his contract and sign a four-year (or if with Orlando, a five-year) deal starting at just shy of $19M (105% of his 2011-12 salary) or (b) sign an extension that would only pay him until 2014 (or until 2015 if with Orlando) but at the higher $19.54M figure.

So, long story short:

Paul and D-Will will command about $17.78M, at least.

Dwight Howard will command about $19M, at least.

(Subject to players' willingness to take "discounts".)

In your hypothetical, the Rockets would still owe Thabeet the DIFFERENCE between his actual salary ($5.13M) and the salary at which he is claimed ($2.5M), meaning that Les would still owe him about $2.63M next year, with Thabeet's new team obviously covering the other $2.5M.

Also, since the Heat are over the salary cap, they are ineligible to bid on amnesty cuts on the "secondary waiver market".

Yes, it would free up cap room and would--all else equal--be preferable to using the amnesty clause. Please note, however, that the team would have to choose between the cap room or the TPE. You can't have both.

8. DaDakota

So if they traded a player for a future pick which generated a TPE, are you saying they would have to chose whether to get the cap room or the TPE?

Is that new?

Thanks in advance.

DD

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yes. This is not a new concept. The TPE is a Trade Player EXCEPTION, which allows a team to exceed the salary cap. However, if the team is already under the salary cap, it is a moot point.

THIS is why the Rockets may be able to have ~$7.8M in cap room yet opt NOT to use it. That way, they keep the MLE and all their TPEs. (Also, Yao's bird rights, in case he changes his mind ;) ).

10. DaDakota

Gotcha, thanks for taking me to school, much appreciated.

DD

11. alethios

alethios Member

Great article and way more easy to understand and digest than those beat writer wannabes. My hats off to you, Bima for helping us laymen sift through some of the otherwise convoluted details.

I second the comment that if we can do it (pull off the big trade for a star player), then I hope we jump rather than watch all of good ones go to other teams. No more bridesmaid...

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Good info, bad outlook for the Rockets though. Flexibility means we have nothing- no bird in the hand.

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Just want to say thanks to BimaThug for putting this together... it spells out very well the Rockets current cap situation. I think some people may think the Rockets are loaded with cap room right now and hopefully this is a good reference for fans to understand amnesty and the role Thabeet would play if the Rockets were to make any ground with Nene, Chandler, etc.

Of course -- the Rockets didn't have the necessary cap room when they loaded up the caravan in 2010 for Bosh... just a lot of confidence in a sign-and-trade.

14. anchel

anchel Member

Thanks for the article, cant rep. I was not counting with Motiejunas cap hold, so I thought we could have like 9 millions rejecting to Hayes cap hold. A quantity that could easily ne increased with by trading Flynn or even Hill or Williams...

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If D-Mo plays overseason, doesn't his cap hold dissapear when the season starts?

If Nene signs his contract on day 1 of the season, thats another 1 million we could use.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah there would certainly be some teams who are under the cap who would be willing to take a shot on Flynn, Dragic, or Hill. With Flynn we would probably have to attach a 2nd round pick, but Hill and Dragic could be easily moved if needed. One of those PGs is going to be moved no matter what IMO. But I think we are stuck with Williams.

Flynn and Hill amount to 6.27 million in savings.

Dragic and Hill are 4.97 million in savings

Williams would be another 2.37 million if he could be moved.

Bottom line....we have more flexibility than I thought.

17. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Theoretically, yes, I suppose.

I'm just not sure whether Nene wants to wait the extra two weeks to sign and might find this strategy a bit "gimmicky" for his taste. Nor would the Rockets be too enamored with starting training camp and the "entire" preseason without one of their main players.

But I like the outside-the-box thinking.

18. DaDakota

He might wait for an extra $1 million....

I know I would...lol....

DD

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Perhaps. And if ever there were a season to try to pull this off, it would be this one. You probably won't find too many seasons in which the opening of the free agency period is 16 days prior to the start of the regular season.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think it's actually about an extra 4.3 million over the life of the deal.