1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: Lockout Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 11, 2011.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Would like to see Flynn and Thabeet dumped for a trade exception (Lakers need a PG maybe?) and the extra money used to offer Nene a lucrative contract. Hopefully there is enough money there to bring back Hayes.

Lowry / Dragic
    Martin / Lee / Williams
    Morris / Budinger / Parsons
    Scola / Patterson
    Nene / Hayes / Hill / D-Mo

Is a 50 win team and could be really good depending on how our picks develop. Next year New Orleans and Denver would be worse with Nene/West leaving. Who knows with Portland/Memphis. We could conveivably be fighting for home court. While not a contender, I think it makes us a much more friendly landing spot for Dwight, CP3 or Dwill at the deadline.

2. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

so... you trade for a starting center this offseason when the CBA is worked out and then wait patiently to see if star player can be signed and traded for in '12.

Free agency is a crap shoot. I think a lot of teams have buyer's remorse after one season.

I mean only 1 team out of 8 last offseason probably walked away with what they wanted to use their cap room on. And how many of those other 7 are happy with what they signed? You think Boozer would get the same money from the Bulls if they can do it over again?

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I personally believe in Morey's ability to value players and offer contracts at what is reasonable value.

Although I am scratching my head at the two (Blakey/Cousins) deals. I can't see either of those guys ever seeing a single minute on the floor ever, considering the amount. But I digress...

Too me, I would look to add Nene/Gasol for a hefty chunk of change, Chandler, at slightly less or Jordan at considerably less. After that I would pass on any other free agents, Dalembert included.

To me a bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush. Adding any one of those guys I think bumps you up to 50 wins, which is where you want to be. Big name guys, who will be available, go to one of two places, winners or big markets.

Waiting and striking out in 2012, puts us 4 years removed from the playoffs still without a cornerstone.

By adding Nene, you could feasably pair him with Scola at the deadline and make a play for Howard while still fielding a competitive team, with Martin, Lowry and Patterson still here.

Thats how I would play my cards, but thats just me.

4. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Their contracts are non-guaranteed next season, so if we need to we can just let them go...correct?

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The Blakely - Cousins signings were done as a contingency in case there was a mutiple player big trade that absolved us of most of our depth. The trade hasn't happened......yet. However, if it does, both of these guys could come in handy, for salary matching purposes, or for roster slots that open up as a result of dumping a signficant amount of this roster through trade.

Oh, and the MLE or the lack of a MLE will be key in the new CBA. If it is available in some form, hopefully Dally will be interested in it.

This is a 43 win team, that has another year of experience, that doesn't have to go through the Aaron Brooks doldrums and hopefully won't have to go through significant injury. We were a 43 win team but were on the cusp of being several games better than that. Health, another year of Lowry development, and the addition of a big man like Dally would push us to 50 wins without any other significant upgrades. I still don't see the rationale for tanking.

6. Spankie

Spankie Member

Wow, freakin Thabeet is the third most paid player, and his ass is glued to the bench. such a waste.

7. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Although he's terribly overpaid, its a good thing that Thabeet's a rookie contract is the fourth highest paid player. Good job cleaning house by Morey.

8. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Especially since he averages less than 15 and 10, and you're turning down money like that?

9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I would definitely go for the 2012 plan. There is no other way in my opinion.

I would:

Keep-

Kevin Martin
    Kyle Lowry
    Patrick Patterson

And trade away
    Luis Scola
    Jordan Hill
    Chase Budinger
    Courtney Lee
    Terrence Williams
    Jonny Flynn

and let everyone else walk

So in this way

we'd have only about 20 million committed salary in 2012.

Then the possibilities are endless. As trading those guys away will surely land us a top 10 pick in a loaded draft.

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

What is not a "crap-shoot"? People say the draft is a "crap-shoot", the free agency is a "crap shoot", and so that leaves. "trades" as the only thing that is not crapshoot?

Buddy, you just wait for Orlando to trade you Dwight Howard.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Dwight Howard is a crap shoot.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Dwight Howard at 5. Nene at 4.

I need a towel.

13. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

DH 12
    ?
    ?
    ?
    CP3

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Thank you for pointing that out. Every time someone suggests Steve Nash is going to turn us into a contender it makes me thank that person has absolutely no clue at all.

Grandpa Nash will be lucky to play 2 more years and he has never played defense.

15. Chamillionaire

Nene would be nice. As well as Marc Gasol.

16. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

can you do a sign and trade for a restricted free agent?

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks, and good job (as typical, BT)!

I am so confused - - Rox FO talks playoffs, McHale talks p/o's but how? There are a large # of contenders for 6-12 in West standings, and even if Rox are #8, where's the future?

I 'love' Scola, but do the Rox retain him for a run at the 8th, or do they deal him to portend a brighter '12 and '13?

Is there direction from the owner? What dance is DM the GM being sent to; doing?

And, of course, there is the nasty biz of the CBA and the whole of the season and future??? BTW - - I am of the polyanna school that says the deal will be sealed in time for an 11/1 opening tip (with worst case being 1/15). The suits need to get themselves locked IN and work out a deal by (the aptly named) Labor Day.

18. Pete the Cheat

yes. in fact, I think this is the most likely scenario per Bima's analysis. our collection of "assets" is intended for this end.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes. If you recall, that's how the Atlanta Hawks got Joe Johnson from Phoenix.

Pete, I actually don't see a sign-and-trade for a RESTRICTED free agent as a likely scenario this offseason. The two notable examples would be Marc Gasol and DeAndre Jordan. You are correct in your understanding that I think a sign-and-trade would be a more plausible scenario to acquire those guys than a straight-up offer sheet signing, but I seriously doubt that Memphis or the Clippers will let those guys go at ANY price. Hell, the Rockets may have ASSURED that Memphis retains Gasol, since they took on Thabeet's $5.13M salary for next season, clearing that much more room for the Grizzlies to keep Gasol.

I think Daryl Morey's marching orders from Les, from Day 1, have been to rebuild the roster into a championship contender, while at the same time NEVER BEING BAD.

Morey has acknowledged that this is the single-hardest thing to do in the NBA (and he's right!), but those are his marching orders, nonetheless. Les is his boss, so he's got to do what he's told.

That said, I do think it is still possible to succeed taking this approach. You just need a DIFFERENT kind of luck. Whereas sucking and getting a top-5 pick also requires luck that your pick turns into a Lebron or a Durant, instead of an Oden or an Olowakandi, the Rockets' luck will need to come from a superstar forcing his way out of another team, and the Rockets jumping at the chance by offering an attractive package of players and picks. Remember, this EXACT thing happened for Les and his franchise back in 2004, when the team managed to acquire Tracy McGrady from Orlando in exchange for some key pieces to a fringe playoff team (Francis, Mobley, Cato).

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

We had Yao during that time although some people did no think Yao was very good, but Tmac wanted to play with Yao. Who do we have right now for a superstar who wants to come here and play with him?