1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Hey, Remember when Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik were on the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 9, 2014.

1. basketballholic

I totally agree with that. That's why I feel like the max assets we would have to send out with Lin would be #25 and a future first. However, I feel like that is on the high side. I'm really starting to think we can move Lin out for perhaps just #25.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think one way or the other in regards to Asik and Lin, that Boston and Philly are involved. Maybe even in a 3 team trade. They just seem like prime landing spots and Morey has those connections to Ainge and Hinkie.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

DM the GM's comments pretty much indicates he is defining, perhaps redefining, 'plausible'.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

My guess is our failsafe is Philly. If NYK says they won't play ball, and Melo tells the Rockets he wants to be here.....then we can just trade Asik and Lin + a pick or two for cap space. Philly gets an elite center, fullfills their salary cap requirements, gets expiring contracts, and a few picks.

How much would most teams trade for an elite defensive center that's only 27 years old? Hinkie can lock him up on a 5 year contract with Asik's bird rights, and in return all we're asking for is cap room.

Even more interesting, with Asik locked down as your long term center, Noel becomes somewhat expendable and the 6ers have another asset to trade up into the top 4-5. Asik + MCW + 2 top 5 picks in a great draft? Wouldn't be surprised if they're competing in the near future.

1 person likes this.
  5. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

We already knew this was all happening. The thing we don' t know is where Asik and Lin are going to go. Plus what the Rockets get in return.

6. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Lin and Asik are better than you think. With the right coach, one or both of them can compete to make an all-star team. Most importantly, each one can help win games.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Whatever the combination may be, it appears that Boston (trade exception), Golden St (trade exception), Philly (cap space), and Utah (cap space) and maybe the Lakers (cap space) are our options for unloading Lin and Asik.

Boston makes a lot of sense with Asik given the deadline interest.

Lin would put GS very close to the tax line if not over so that is iffy.

Lakers, Philly, and Utah would seemingly require heavy incentives to get a deal done, and especially in LA and Utah's case I think that they would want to chase some free agents.

This is going to be really interesting. Maybe Morey's got the framework with GS and Boston already though - perhaps sweetening with picks for cheap filler in seperate deals (cannot combine TEs and players).

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Well yeah. It's not like Clutch is claiming to break news here. He's summarizing the situation nicely. Not everyone is as tuned in as the Clutchfans forum users.

9. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I could see that.

I can also see Morey waiting until after the draft to make his move, and follow GSW's blueprint to sign Iguodala and come to a verbal agreement first with his preferred star player, and then trade Lin/Asik + filler to another team for space, and instantly sign the free agent with cap space created. That way, Houston doesn't have to risk creating cap space for no reason.

(and then resign Parsons of course)

10. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

Parsons for 10 mil?? ugh, I'd rather have Ariza...Rockets need a wing who can actually defend someone and shoot a higher percentage from the 3pt line

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

As we learned the hard way, contract year Ariza is much different than freshly signed Ariza.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think the Rockets would do it... but the backcourt defense would certainly improve.

Beverly/Bledsoe/Harden/Parsons/Howard

Not what I would do, but certainly would be interesting.... no one would want to play the Rockets backcourt.. the defense would be excellent and Harden at the 3 is better than at the 2.

13. Allegro

Allegro Member

Yes, Lin was so bad that the only two wins we had in the Portland series came when he was allowed to do his thing.

Lin was also dreadful in Game 4. His passes were only able to stake us to an 11-point lead in that game with about 5:00 to go in regulation. Harden was alarmed at such a perilous situation and decided to step in. "Thanks for the big lead, Jeremy. Now piss off. <b>I</b> will take over. <b>I</b> will do all the shooting from now on. <b>I</b> will win this game, not you." So he proceeded to save us by hogging the ball, taking every shot down the stretch, bricking all of them, and pissing away the lead. But Lin was only able to give us an 11-point lead, not the 30-point lead that any scrub would have given us, so we lost the game in spite of Harden's outstanding efforts.

Yes, Lin was so dreadful that the only way we were able to go on a big run was to have him on the floor. Oddly this happened every game -- yes, every single game of the series. But this must have been coincidental, just as Linsanity was; we all know that he sucks, and we can't wait to dump him.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Hmm.... thanks, now I know whom else to add to my ignore list.

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Good article. I too believe both Lin and Asik will be moved this off season. The clock is already ticking on Dwight Howard and Harden. Every year we delay is a year of lost opportunity. You only need look at the the Yao Tmac era to see the waist there. Do all to improve now.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Soon someone will realize that if you just let Lin do his thing the team he is on can not lose. Look out Bill, Lin is coming for your championship record. Only a matter of time.

17. Allegro

Allegro Member

Ignore away. I will feel cleaner not having to deal with someone like you.

18. goyao11

goyao11 Member

It's probably better this way. Rockets can out from underneath Asik/Lin's contracts and Asik/Lin both get to play more significant minutes on teams that need their skill sets.

I think a lot of us underestimate Lin and Asik's contributions to the Rockets. Especially with Lin, some assume that he's just dead weight and it'll be addition by subtraction. I fully expect us to be quite a bit worse after any kind of contract dump, barring immediate homerun trade for Love/Melo, etc... I think long-term its best for everybody.

1 person likes this.
  19. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Parsons for 10M is the ultimate "Meh" move. I don't hate it and I don't love it.

We should throw whatever money we are going to throw at Parsons at Gordon Hayward instead, unless he is going to be demanding a whole lot more than Chandler.

20. Allegro

Allegro Member

That is your demented dream.