1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Harden's Debut Means Party Just Getting Started in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 1, 2012.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I really enjoyed this article -- having a young super star on the Rockets is almost unbelievable looking back at the past two years. With the current core the Rockets are going to become much more interesting to the basketball world.

We are going to get a lot more play in the media - more games on national television, and that is going to bring in the next super star. We have an elite guard core now we just need an elite big man and Morey is showing that he can get that done.

Only time will tell, but this pickup is an amazing turnaround for a young team that looked to be headed to the lottery.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're right about everything IMO,except for almost getting Dwight. He never had any interest in coming here.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Right he didn't have any interest in coming here, but Morey was willing to make the trade any ways. Had the Nuggets not popped up and tric...I mean convinced Orlando to take Afflalo we might be complaining about the circus Dwight was about to bring here.

I was just saying that Morey had more than enough assets to bring Dwight here and many consider Orlando a bit silly for not taking what was offered on the table supposedly by Houston.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure how you can reply to me showing that the Rockets got better when Lowry went out with the equivalent of "These guys would have stepped up huge on a championship team".

If Lowry and Martin were 23 years old, starting alongside a couple of superstars to complement a title winner, it's possible they could have seen a rise of value on upside.

The Rockets didn't make the playoffs, yet Goran Dragic, Courtney Lee and Marcus Camby were still heavily pursued in free agency. GMs around the league do watch games before May.

No, we wouldn't have. That's for sure. When you cut a $9M+ a year player and everyone in the league has a chance to put in a claim and the highest bid is $4M+, that's a clear sign that you're underwater.

I didn't say impossible. In fact, I said, "They could have tried to get it in other ways." I don't think it would have been easy -- Milwaukee may have loved John Henson and not liked the spot at 16, but that's not the point. The Rockets will always pursue the likes of James Harden, whether they have a treasure trove of assets or not. The point is you would have lost a big asset that was significantly involved in this trade that is not easily made up.

5. bongman

bongman Member

Good question and difficult to answer. Do we know if the Thunder was focused on specifically getting Lamb or would a TJ work as he showed he was more ready than the top 3?

6. Asian Sensation

Ain't no party like a Chase Bud party.

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

[​IMG]

"Yo Bud, let's party"

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

The Rockets did not get better. That is just silly. Teams do not get better by losing their best player. You have a clear enough understanding of sample size to use it to bring Jeremy Lin down a couple of notches, surely you understand Dragic's 15 game run is not indicative of the team getting better. There is also such thing as strength of schedule.

You do not have to be on a championship contender to raise your value in the playoffs, just because I used Ariza as an example. Andre Iguodala just got traded for the second best center in the NBA. While he is a better player than Kevin Martin, if Martin had performed in the playoffs the last couple of years, like Iguodala has, their values would be much closer.

Ok? Just imagine how much more heavily pursued they would have been if they performed in the playoffs.

Because every team in the league had the cap room to bid for Scola? Come on.

I am going to go out on a huge limb here and say that the Rockets management know a little bit about what the heck they are doing. Tankers may have had a hypothetical point before management were able to execute their plan. But now that they have, it might be time for you guys to give it up.

9. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Too early for mea culpas...but after two games I have an enormous friggin' Harden....and may be wrong that this just keeps us mediocre.

10. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

He pity da fool...

11. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I don't know maaaan....

I hope I am wrong but I just got the feeling that this little explosion is Linsanity for bearded people.

Feels like the Kool-Aid has even gotten to old Clutch himself. :/

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Give what up? The Rockets cleaned house and their average age is 23. :confused: I'm thrilled with where they are.

The rest of your post seems like dancing around the fact that losing that pick last year would have been very damaging to your philosophy.

Have you seen these two games?

I don't expect Harden to go for 40 a night every night and it's most certainly not like I'm saying we're championship-bound right now, but this was the difficult step to make and they were able to make it. In my opinion, the Rockets have a chip in the game now.

13. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

one? I saw many...:eek::eek::eek:

14. conquistador#11

our shooting guard wants to party all the time...he likes to party all the time wooohooooo.:p

15. pocketrocket81

I find myself excited to watch Houston Rockets basketball as much as I enjoy Texans football. I am sure it'll be a few more years before I can say the same about the Astros but at least I have two teams to enjoy now instead of just one team.:cool:

16. Raven

Raven Member

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Guys, just think about it. This team has yet to fully gel.:eek::eek:

18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Just wait until Terrence "Lesser Howard" Jones balls on chins.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

And you know this, man!!!;)

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

There's a party in Houston? I guess I didn't get to be invited.