1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Thunder @ Rockets 4/25/2017 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 5)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 24, 2017.

1. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Game 5 ended with a bit of a whimper tbh, so not as much excitement. Also I daresay we were more relieved than anything else that this series is behind us.

And the CF old heads are ruthless in smacking down unnecessary new threads, so people think twice :)

napalm06 likes this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

Man, we are dead last in 3% for the playoffs at .284. Kinda ironic.

napalm06 likes this.
  3. arubato

arubato Member

Kawhi Leonard, 2-way basketball player

W-L-W-L-L-L

Now we know what will happen if we play the Spurs next.

RCPM, jae713, tbw914 and 2 others like this.
  4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

And yet beat OKC 4-1

If we can up that to around 37%, we have a chance in Round 2

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Wow lol

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I've been told that Houston is nothing without their 3 ball. Harden system player because of his elite shooting.

What a world.

hakeem94 and jae713 like this.
  7. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Worth its own thread!

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

HA! That line is exactly how they lost to OKC last year.

9. Remlap

Remlap Member

This play is just unbelivable. I remember seeing it real time but it happened so fast
    it was hard to tell what happened.
    But you can plainly see he interfered with Oladipo's putback so he could take control
    and make the hero play himself. Why would he do that in such a close game?
    Because he wants the stats, that's the ONLY reason.
    MVP my great behind. NO MVP worth his salt would jeopardize a must win game for his own glory.
    Except a 6th seed MVP

10. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

To be fair brother, I personally don't think Westbrook intended on blocking his teammate. I think he was caught in the moment and was just over hustling to get the rebound. It was a critical point of the game.

Remlap likes this.
  11. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

[​IMG]

It's happening.

12. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

13. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

OKC was rushing out the line. Spurs have older players. Don't believe they will be closing gap as quick as OKC was doing.

jae713 likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I took as it happened so fast he wasn't aware of his teammate having best position and when in doubt be aggressive and just grab the ball.

So it's kinda more deliciously ironic to me. And funny to think that maybe he was so used to teammates letting him pad his stats with rebounds, he was conditioned to expect that to be his. I just think it's more an example of how WB gets tunnel vision to the ball and rim in the 4th Q, which is one of his weaknesses, he can go too fast with blinders on...less court awareness.

And in this case ... oops, he blocks a teammate. lulz

Remlap likes this.
  15. Remlap

Remlap Member

I've played enough ball to know that you DO NOT contest a shot at your own basket. LOL
    Especially in a close game. I don't see how it could have been mistaken identity for the fact
    that Oladipo seemed to be in control of the ball, preparing to make a putback, when WB swoops
    in to swat it away and take it to the baseline for his own attempt.
    I don't know. Looks like poor judgement to me or simply greedy play.
    Just loved the irony that WB missed on his reverse attempt

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. jae713

jae713 Member

This. I don't think OKC gets enough credit on how good they are defensively.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

RCPM likes this.
  18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Getting so many days off waiting for the playoff round to start is foreign to the Rockets.

So... any news if the players are doing light workouts today? Film study?

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

What I noticed in this series is that the refs do not swallow their whistles for the playoffs as much as they used to, which is great for us. Harden and Lou got the foul calls going up for three multiple times, for Harden sometimes multiple times in a single game. The foul drawing ability stacks, so even though Harden is drawing plenty they're still willing to give it to Lou at the same rate he was drawing in the regular season. We couldn't hit our threes, but our TS% as a team was respectable thanks to getting to the line, plus Nene's insane finishing ability inside. Gordon can't seem to draw free throws the same way, even though he drives to the rim a lot too. Who knows why?

Our roster construction should bear this in mind going forward. Anderson's TS% was sky high during the regular season, but he's ice cold in the playoffs and can't adjust. The only time he looked remotely effective was when Gibson fell for his pump fakes and he attacked the hoop, which he cannot do on a regular basis. Ariza can't drive well either and suffered a similar drop in the first round, but at least he contributes with above average defense. All of our scorers need to be able to shoot, drive the ball, and draw free throws. Preferably all three. Hayward and Gallinari seem to be the best free agents this summer at being able to do this.

vtjsr2 likes this.
  20. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Yeah, I was just giving WB the benefit of the doubt because I personally can't conceive/fathom trying to "steal" a rebound from a teammate like that intentionally during that part of the game. Maybe he was being greedy for his own stats. I would think it would take a more calculated effort in that moment to jump up and block the potential "tip-in" from Oladipo just to get the rebound for himself. It is just absurd...but hey...anything is possible.

Remlap likes this.