1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Thunder @ Rockets 4/25/2017 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 5)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I'm trying to think of the last "superstar" that was bragging on the podium after losing 4-1 in a series to a 3 seed

2. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

yeah that's great, but against the Spurs you know it's not gonna fly. If we don't hit our shots the series is over guaranteed

let me give you guys a sneak preview of the first play in the playoffs in game one when we play the Spurs. laMarcus Alldredge post up on Ryan Anderson for two points or a foul bcuz the rockets cant breathe on aldridge.

maybe you put Anderson on Dwayne deadman and capela on aldridge. or you go small with ariza at the 4 and you try to run him off the floor. but you gotta score. i can see pop playing gasol heavy minutes next to aldridge just to make the post tougher to guard.

3. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

You take the points and the butt whipping and I'll take the win...have fun watching us from your easy chair.

JayGoogle and Pen15clubber like this.
  4. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

when was the last time an MVP went 14 for 49 in the fourth quarters of a first-round playoff series where he lost 4-1?

congrats wb, you earned it i guess

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Great job Htown, bring on either one of those mutha jokers. We are ready.

The game ball goes to Lou Williams. Dude brought us back and help us take back over the lead.

Beverley is the man. Hahaha yeah it took 34 shots to get 42 points. Love it.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

i seriously would like to know this as well. or just bad playoff performances by MVPs in general

7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Karl Malone in the Finals?

8. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

if the thunder went with Taj Gibson 49 times in the fourth quarter instead of Westbrook would the series be over? would the rockets be up?

taj gibson mvp

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

dirk averaged 19.7 ppg on 38% shooting when getting swept out of the first round as an MVP #1 seed in 2007.

10. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

When will Game 1 be? I was thinking Sunday if San Antonio closes it out in 6, or Monday if they have to go to a Game 7.

11. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

@swyyyguy

Vivi likes this.
  12. j@amc

j@amc Member

I really wasn't sure we could win a gritty game when our shots weren't falling. But let's chalk up the victory and move on to the next round. The playoffs are about survival, and I'm sure that Ryan Anderson, Ariza, and Beverley will shoot a little better once they have a chance to mend over the next couple of days. We certainly know that Harden needs the rest too.

OKC clearly hit the wall in this game. Their 4th quarter shooting (7-26 team, Westbrook 2-11) really doomed them. They got so many shots from their 8 offensive rebounds in the quarter and 18 offensive boards for the game. But they only got 13 total points out of those chances. Then, when they were battling to get back in the game, Roberson was put on trial at the line where he missed again and again. Should I cue a laugh track? No, that would be cruel but thank you, Coach Donovan for helping us formulate a defensive strategy with 3 minutes left.

I also noticed that throughout the game, Harden disrupted plays in the paint on defense, mostly by cutting over to take away a roll man. That was refreshing to see, and it translated into 3 steals, 5 deflections, and 6 loose balls recovered. Those were all team highs. That's winning basketball.

Memphis and San Antonio used to be scary opponents, but I think our matchups aren't that bad really. Gordon and Lou Williams can both be pretty effective against them. We're still undersized but that's going to always be the case against practically every opponent.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

May 1.

14. HTM

HTM Member

Now this is a post I can get behind. f*** ESPN for sure.

15. AuburnRocket

Need this to go 7 whoever wins...needless to say.

16. amaru

amaru Member

Lol press conference was funny

Don't worry OKC will turn on the lights in the gym for the MVP trophy presentation and then drive home lol

Htownballer38 and AuburnRocket like this.
  17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I still love the play.

Will go back and watch these games over again to see how effective it was later in the week.

18. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Who here is rooting for the Jazz? I for one want the Jazz to win their series because I believe the Jazz would give the Warriors a tougher matchup than the Clippers.

19. AuburnRocket

I was thinking that as well...BUT, if I was picking an opponent for us, I'd want the Clippers. But Jazz isn't beating GS anyway.

20. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I think Gobert would give the Warriors fits. They actually can defend the Warriors and give them problems.

DonKnock and AuburnRocket like this.