1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Thunder @ Rockets 12/29/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 29, 2012.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Absolutely no way we win this game. I refuse to entertain the idea that this will be competitive in the 4th quarter, after last night's marathon.

2. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Any word on Delfino tonight?

Expecting this to be a lost tbh, even though we're playing at home. The starters are gassed from last night, and Lin especially seems to be running on empty on back to backs. Maybe Asik can do some damage since he didn't play much last night but I doubt it. As long as the score is close and Harden has a good game I'll consider this a moral victory. It really sucks that both times we play them are the worst possible times ever.

And hey we play them again at home right after the all star break. We'll get the win then.

3. Akim523

Akim523 Member

The schedule is stupid. How can you play 2 top 5 teams on a back to back?

4. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Time for Harden to get his revenge! I do worry about the starters legs with the minutes they logged last night though.

5. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

I really wish we could get this one for Harden. But considering how tired our guys are and how good OKC is, a game of not blown-out is a good one in my book.

I'm interested to see how McHale will adjust to play Harden and Lin, especially Harden, because last time they were both heavily trapped and rendered almost noneffective.

No matter what, it will be a fun game to watch two young and fast paced teams. Excited already.

6. me005

me005 Member

Agree. I expect to see some improvement, last game was a total mess.

Tired legs? Just found out we have 6 BTB games in Jan :rolleyes: Better get used to it.

7. itachen

itachen Member

Last game against OKC, they decided to put the pressure on Harden and Lin and make them give up the ball to other players. As a result, Patterson had a career high 27, Asik 17 & 12, and Cook 18/7/4. Harden's 17 was among his season lows, and so is Lin's 6. We had no Parsons or Delfino. We also barely used the bench, played them about 50 of the possible 240 minutes.

Box score:
    http://www.nba.com/games/20121128/HOUOKC/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

My guess is OKC will go with a similar strategy at first to test if McHale has any counter, but will quickly realize its ineffectiveness going against Rockets' recently refined run-and-gun style.

Depends on whether OKC wants to run with the Rockets or try to slow the pace down, either way OKC should come out on top, however both at a much less success compared to last game IMO.

8. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

The problem is that there isn't much benefit to be had trying to dictate tempo against the Thunder.

Oklahoma City is the #1 team in the NBA in points per 100 possessions. It doesn't matter if you try to play a plodding, half-court offense or try to run on them, they're going to get their points.

In fact weakening your own transition defense against OKC might not even be the best of ideas, with the king of transition craziness in Russell Westbrook directing traffic.

They're a team without many weaknesses, really. One thing that could be tried is abusing Kendrick Perkins when he's on the floor, as I'm not sold on the idea of him as a mobile, consistent defender this season, let alone an offensive threat.

But it's not like teams haven't tried that in the past. At best it just leads to an early Nick Collison or Thabeet substitution, and then they actually get *better* with Perkins off the floor.

So I don't know. Lot's of crossing fingers and hoping for some lucky breaks tonight.

9. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

[​IMG]

10. langal

langal Contributing Member

sounds like a plan. Maybe even let Westbrook have some open early looks to get his trigger finger going .. and going .. and going.. (ice out Durant)

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I just want harden to have a good game against his former team. If we get a win icing on the cake.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

This is going to be a really tough game don't see Houston getting the win. Harden needs to play smart & not force things against his old team. No more trying to dribble through a trap, pass the ball. Hopefully Marcus steps up tonight we will need him from the perimeter. Fortunately we have Parsons in this game to defend KD. Lin is going to have his work cut out for him defending Russ, did a good job last game so hopefully we see more of that. Harden will have Thabo on him so that will be an interesting matchup as well. Hopefully Omer has a strong showing tonight after two games where he wasn't at his best. I hope Carlos can play we will need him. Don't want to see Cook or Cole out there & less Tony Douglas McHale.

13. RioFan

RioFan Contributing Member

Hey Thunder has lost 2 of their last three. We've won 2 of last three. Rockets are a great home team. Number 1 offense. Revenge game for Harden.

This Rockets team can compete with any team right now. I hope the players don't have same outlook some of the fans have.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Anyone have any ideas for a good somewhat affordable place to grub down there before the game? In town for the game and can't think of a good spot right now.

15. neoxyphus

neoxyphus Member

Not expecting much from Rox after starters logging insane minutes and playing their hearts out vs SAS, and continue to expect our rotations to to suck today.

I'm expecting Rox starters to all be gassed in 4Q, for another blowout loss to OKC.

Run-and-gun? I'd be happy if they can run-and-not-trip-over-the-ball today.

Expect high dribbles from Lin all day and lots of TOs. And I'm a Lin fan. Boy really needs better handles, his high dribble during drives makes my heart pause everytime defense collapses on him.

Of course, I'd be extremely happy if someone Rox grinds out this game and get a win, and Lin becomes extremely disciplined, and Harden actually plays defense in first half and not when they're chasing a deficit.

16. art

art Member

might as welll sit out harden, lin, parsons and take that 250k fine from stern

1 person likes this.
  17. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

I'm sure Harden, Lin and Parsons want to play. Athletes have pride and are competitive.

18. lfw

lfw Rookie

This is a tough game because OKC knows Harden's game inside and out so if anybody knows how to stop him, it's OKC. Rockets will need the rest of the team to really step up to have a chance at winning this game.

19. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Not sure what's affordable for you, there's some nice restaurants in the Houston Pavilions:

http://www.houstonpavilions.com/dining/

And you can go visit with HoHoHo Chen at the CSN Houston office :p

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I don't like the thunder anymore. Lets giveem an ass whoopin.