1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 12/3/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 2, 2019.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yes, yes we are going to pretend. Hell...half this website keeps telling me Westbrook is a huge upgrade over Paul!

htwnbandit and Williamson like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That made basket, inexplicably waved off by the refs, cost us this game in regulation. No question about it. I was scrolling through the game thread looking for just when that happened, not posting during the game this time. Unsurprisingly, a host of ClutchFans screamed bloody murder.

The Rockets will no doubt protest the game. The last time a loss was changed to a win, or the part of a game after a crucial blown call like this one was replayed, was back around 2008, wasn't it? I can't see how the league can let this stand. They should either change our L to a W, or replay the rest of the game, beginning with the time on the clock when this abomination from the refs occurred. Preferably just give us the win, but if the rest of the game is replayed, do it just before our next game against SA.They should also fine the ref or refs involved. It's way past time for the league to hold the chumps accountable.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Did you explain to them it was too late?"
    "I can't remember if I told them or not."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deuce, hakeem94 and lw17 like this.
  5. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I count 2-14 from about 4 minutes to go in the 4th until the end of the game. Intermixed with a couple trips to the line and a ton of charges.

I think Harden just ran out of gas at the end, and no one else was willing to take the shot, or demanded to.

Not that 9-24 is great either, but it's closer to what he normally shoots.

Abysmal running of the offense, no matter who was responsible.

BaselineFade, D-rock and smp like this.
  6. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Yeesh. 4-20 from 3. House and (Good) Gordon can't come back soon enough.

deb4rockets, jcmoon and smp like this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Harden refused to attack the basket. Basically 2017 Game 5 all over again.

8. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

And when he did, he got blocked, hacked, or called for a charge. Basically what's going to happen in the playoffs when the refs traditionally swallow their whistles.

He's got a point when he told that fan off. Stop fouling him, and he'll stop going to the line.

jcmoon likes this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Maybe. But it's something you have to really practice to be comfortable doing in game, and it appears he doesn't practice them. Probably he sees that his statistical success has come with him phasing that out of his game, with encouragement from his team, so he doesn't see a point in bringing it back.
    It shows that things haven’t really changed. We are still prone to monumental meltdowns when the pressure is up. It’s because we are too reliant on a single player who is in turn too reliant on just a couple moves. We lack versatility.

10. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Yep. You'd think one of the greatest basketball offensive minds of his generation could coach up a method to diversify the offense in times like those....not that the players would listen to him.

April's still some time away. They can fix these problems---it isn't something out of their control, like they just don't have the talent. The question is whether they will choose to. Or don't, and merely rely on papering over their faults by adding House and Gordon to the mix.

I don't have a lot of faith.

11. cmutt

cmutt Member

This is not an issue that has a "simple" solution. And it's not an easy task to try and explain MDA's flaws with just a few short words, in a single post.

In a nutshell though, these are probably the general "consensus" reasons for most of the criticisms against him:

First let me say this... I don't think MDA is a "bad" coach, nor do I think that he is a "dumb" coach.

What I will say though... is that he may not be the "RIGHT" coach for this particular team, or for these particular 2 players (Harden and Westbrook).

Just as players have to be the right "fit" for a team, coaches also have to be the right "fit" as well. Especially when it comes to creating a "championship" team. Was Stan Van Gundy a "bad" coach when Miami replaced him with Spolstra? Was Mark Jackson a "bad" coach when GS replaced him with Kerr? No, in both cases. In fact, they had favorable winning percentages during the regular season... just like MDA. But where they were failing was in the playoffs, where they kept coming up short, and where they failed to show that they had the necessary "coaching ingredients" to lead their team to the next level.

And this is what MDA has been showing as well, and that's probably the primary reason why he didn't get a contract extension.
    Here are some of the things MDA has shown over the years:
    - He rarely makes necessary in-game adjustments (offensively or defensively) (especially in the playoffs)
    - He doesn't use a deep bench, and tends to play short rotation on heavy minutes
    - He doesn't seem to enforce much discipline, nor does he seem to hold players accountable
    - He allows Harden and Westbrook to continuously show poor shot selection, poor decision making, careless turnovers, poor leadership, etc.
    - He continuously says the same thing over and over at press conferences (they're good, they'll figure it out, etc., etc.).

It's his job to "show" his players "how" to figure things out. It's his job to "help" his players overcome the strategies that other teams are employing. It's his job to provide stability and leadership for the team. And MDA just hasn't been getting that part done... especially not when it matters most.

When you consider the fact that both Harden and Westbrook have pretty much been given free reign to do whatever they have wanted for almost their entire careers already... it's no wonder why they are both so undisciplined and irresponsible when it comes to being leaders of their team. And that's probably why they both have continuously failed for so many years to get over the final hump. They have not had coaches that held them accountable, nor have they had coaches who knew the best way to teach them.

Anyhow, perhaps that's the reason why they may desperately NEED a new, different style/type of coach.
    Is it too late for Harden and Westbrook to be "coached" now, at this point in their careers? That's a good question.

Is there a good candidate for the "right" coach available and out there? TIBS? Van Gundy's?
    Who knows?

#1531 cmutt, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  12. Remlap

Remlap Member

And YOUR better coach is Jeff Van Gundy? LOL

fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This game had a checklist of pretty much everything that has cost the rockets dearly over the years:

-screwed by officiating
    -allowing scrubs to go off (Forbes, Walker)
    -late game choke on both sides of the ball
    -allowing a flurry of 3s to miraculously come back at the end of the game

I've said this before, but in watching this team, I'm reminded of the 2013-2014 team. That was a pretty good team, but I never actually thought we were real contenders. Defense was too soft and teams didn't fear us. That's exactly how I feel about this team, I just don't see it this season.

Also, it's really frustrating to me how Harden has completely abandoned his midrange. He can get a 17-footer anytime he wants by driving and stopping on a dime. Once he's like 3-15 or whatever from 3 you can't just keep chucking them. That was the main reason for our offensive struggles at the end of the game IMO, just chucking long 3 after long 3 away when you need higher percentage shots at the end of the game.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Skip: No way it should be replayed. Double no way they should be rewarded a victory.

Shannon: No way in hell should it be replayed. This was a missed call. Refs didn't know the ball went in the basket. That didn't cost you the game. Westbrook & Harden going 18-68 from the floor did. Harden was 4-20 from three. In the last minute? I get it. Not 8 minutes. To have 2 OTs...NBA said 'Our bad. We missed it.'

15. Zergling

Zergling Member

I find it hilarious that with all the Harden dunk controversy, all Mike D'Antoni had to do was literally ask for a review within 30 seconds, which seemed like the obvious move any other coach would do. But he did not, so we lost 2 points.

MDA is literally the most useless head coach in the league.

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

He did, but got stuffed and then got called for a charge.

We can't pretend that simply driving works all the time either. What he needs to do is SHOOT MIDRANGE in clutch situations. Stepbacks, pull-ups, fade-aways. He can make all of those shots but instead he prefers to brick stepback 3s when a 3 point shot isn't even needed or barrel through the lane and either miss his wild layup, get blocked, or turn it over.

Blows my damn mind that he hasn't not changed at all and apparently Morey and the coaches want this.

17. Remlap

Remlap Member

If by 'underperforming' you mean
    - Taking a team to consecutive WC finals (Suns),
    - Having team win 50+ games in 4 consecutive seasons (Suns)
    - Set franchise record for wins in 3 consecutive seasons (Rockets)
    - Went to Conf Semi's (against bandwagon Durant Warriors)
    - WC FINALS against same STACKED team (7 games)

How man coaches ever even get to the WC finals? Much less, the NBA finals?
    NOT MANY. D'Antoni has done it multiple times.
    And I believe the only thing that prevented us (and 28 other teams) from winning it ALL
    was 'the greatest team ever assembled'. There's no shame in that.

I get it. Your outlook is "always the bridesmaid, never the bride"

MDA's time runs out at the end of this season, so you will likely get your wish.
    One can only hope that his replacement can OUTPERFORM a .700 record and
    take us to a championship. Anything less will be disappointing.
    In the meantime, I tip my hat to Coach D'Antoni for bringing exciting and WINNING basketball back to Houston

fckbandwagons and D-rock like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

how ironic this was the year so we we're told, that harden finally got a player that would allow him to "rest". westbrick being the "mvp" player who's younger and healthy enough to take over games.

nah, it's harden who actually has to do more than he's ever done here. he basically has to average 40 now for the rockets to win games and be amazing all around. ridiculous.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's honestly amazing to see this stat and know we only lost by 2. If you saw that statistic without context you'd assume we got blown out by 30+.

20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

*outscored the Spurs by 2 in regulation