1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Raptors 12/16/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Man, this is always painful to watch.

I do have to say though that McGrady was clearly injured and not ready to play. If he would have just admitted that instead of blaming the Rockets and Rick, the relationship wouldn't have gone as sour so quickly.

I'm glad he's gone though. I loved when he was healthy.

However, I'll never forgive Rockets Mgmt for including Cuttino in that deal, when it has been mentioned that the Magic wanted Stevie as the cornerstone.

Cat had great years with every team he played for. I guarantee he would still be playing in the league had we kept him. Even with the heart problems, things would have been different.

I'm a huge Cat fan, obviously, but the dude put up 20 points a game with great defense and never got any recognition.

Miss him.

2. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

All I can say about this game is.... PLEASE let Asik and Lin develop instead of unnecessary benching them.

Asik needs the minutes to practice his post games, and Lin needs the minutes to practice gaining his confidence.

That is unless Morey is planning to trade Douglas and Smith soon, I really don't want to see these 2 guys play less than 30 min per game when they are doing very well unless it's a blowout.

3. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Durant goes off on us, again.

1 person likes this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

It isn't a bad thing to let Smith take a few of Asik's minutes. Even last night, Asik played 26 minutes and Smith 21. That's a reasonable split if Smith keeps playing well.

It's a different situation from Lin versus Douglas because Asik is 26 and Smith is only 21. Smith may actually have higher potential than Asik, or at least similar. Just get them both on the floor and let them learn from watching each other. If you could combine Smith and Asik's games into one player you'd have the ideal starting center.

I agree about not letting Douglas usurp Lin too much though. Douglas is not anything more than a roleplayer and he never will be. Too small to play shooting guard, too bad at PG duties to run the offense through him.

All of the criticisms people lofted at Aaron Brooks apply to Douglas x100.

At least Lin has upside to become more than a bench player.

5. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

I have given up any hope for the coaches to do the right thing lol...

6. sidestep

sidestep Member

I love Smith. Can contest shots with ferociousness, and he's has got great instincts in the paint. And he gives me hope of seeing some alley-oops, and more above-the-rim play, this season.

7. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

I agree with what you say about Smith and Asik, but for me I see Smith as potentially replacing Ppat's position. If Asik learns his post game well, then we have 2 bigs that dominates the board (SIGN ME UP!), and Cole can play bench C.

Asik is hitting his prime soon, and if we are looking for a championship in the next 3 years, then I think it's a must that he gets more time to develop a more devastating board game.

Imagine having a PG and SG that are always drawing the defense double teams, 2 bigs who are ready to dominate the board and slam it in, and a SF that can shoot 3s and lays. If we let Lin develops his shooting and confidence and Asik develops his finishes. Then the Rockets could potentially become unstoppable in their offense.

And the thing that frustrates me the most about this is that it's totally not unreasonable to forsee this because they literally are just lacking that one area unlike other teams like Hornets who are missing lots of pieces. They just need the experience.

1 person likes this.
  8. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Everyone knows Andrea will be traded for Gasol.

9. jocar

jocar Member

yyyuuupp. love the optimism here!

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

you sure they are playing this game? i haven't seen them play yet, not sure this is for real

11. demarco1

demarco1 Member

Lin get benched at 1st minute, 1st quarter.. 1st half....SMH*. Sigh...pfftttt.....

12. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

don't even understand how this can be a trap game. raptors suck as a team, yes. and only mediocre individually. they don't even play defense. it's not even going to be close unless our coaching staff *** things up again. btw, Derozon isn't a pg. and Lin will eat Lowry up, again. Lowry is shorter, slower, and doesn't play defense as well as Lin.

13. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

coaches? this team actually have competent leaders you can actually call coaches?

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Anything can happen. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to the Raptors.

15. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2012/12/15/3771598/patrick-patterson-goes-down-with-foot-injury

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

You may think you know more about basketball than the coaches, but I seriously doubt you do. The youngest team in the league is 11-11. The coaches are obviously doing a lot of things right.

17. instar

instar Member

i hope it is blowout so we can bench starters for nix game not just lin.

18. sidestep

sidestep Member

Good results don't confirm that everything was done right. If that were the case, then the expanded popularity of the NBA during Stern's reign would confirm that he has handled everything in the best way possible. Which of course is not true. It is perfectly legit to question, criticize, and debate Stern's handling of particular cases and details. Just as it is for fans to criticize coaching details like player rotations, how plays are called (or not), how players are held accountable (or not), and all the other things that fans like to nitpick. It's heavy-handed to say that the coaches must have done everything right, or that they did everything wrong, but there is a lot that is interesting and worth discussing in the gray and mixed up areas in between, which is where most things actually take place.

I maintain that the win record is a testament to the talent on the team, not the quality of the coaching.

#38 sidestep, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  19. atwood

atwood Member

right, bench them all!!!

20. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Not really. They would have a few mor Ws if not for bad subs.