1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Blazers 1/5/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 4, 2019.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

probably by the same percentage that refs have been swallowing their whistles when he gets hit on drives this season

J Sizzle likes this.
  2. TheSource

TheSource Member

Knight should get more minutes he seems to be rounding into form it could also help reduce James minutes

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

CP, Harden, Gordon, Austin, Knight, MCW, log jam of guards?

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I liked his driving the last few games too. As for his streaky shooting it is honestly weird. All last year I kept thinking he will get back, but the bad streaks came more than the good. Now it is way worse. His 3 pt % has steadily dropped the last 3 years. Maybe it is the back problems he had, who knows. People say James makes 3 pt shooters better because they get more wide open shots. If Rivers keeps hitting 3's at a much higher percentage you might feel differently. Maybe these few games with Rivers aren't enough for me to base my opinion on but I have grown tired of Gordon taking more shots than everyone but James, especially when he is throwing bricks.

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

What I have a problem with is him taking 67 shots in 2 games. That is ridiculous, and beyond being a ball hog. That is the kind of play that keeps guys like Durant from wanting to come here.

Last night was a perfect example with him taking seventeen 3 pt shots. He averaged .294, and yet Rivers was shooting at .500. If Rivers had taken 17 shots from behind the arc we just might have won. How many times did he feed Tucker? Tucker took one shot in over 33 minutes. But, I blame coach for letting him play selfishly.

Little Bit likes this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You're right. If the Rockets 2nd and 3rd best players are Austin Rivers and Clint Capela come playoff time like they are now, then Harden will have a tougher time scoring the basketball and winning games for us. You know what else decreases variance? Having good basketball players available.

That's a far bigger concern that Harden, who is playing the best basketball of his career right now.

This isn't hard man.

vlaurelio likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

whoaa you want tucker shooting more?

he's like 2 for his last 20 something 3's and can't make a layup

D-rock and J Sizzle like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'd rather have Ariza versus the Warriors. He is tradeable, and due to him getting traded on the aggregation deadline ...well, makes it pretty juicy to think that he's on the trade block. But, if we can't do that or a similar big-ish SF who can help with Durant, then I'm down for a PPatt type for sure.

fwiw: my only fockass is how we match with GSW. Ariza is the dream.

9. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

If Gordon continues playing badly, then we need to find another shooter that could actually replace him. Austin Rivers is not the consistent shooter that could viably replace Gordon's role.

10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You don't seriously think a guy who started out with the highest 3 pt percentage this year is done because he has had some bad games lately. Yes, that's a really bad slump, but we have lots of guys who have had pretty ugly brick streaks. I don't believe for a minute he won't start hitting shots from the corner 3 any more, or at least shouldn't try. If James isn't going to give him the ball then that's just BS.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

You don't seriously think a guy who started out with the highest 3 pt percentage this year is done because he has had some bad games lately. Yes, that's a really bad slump, but we have lots of guys who have had pretty ugly brick streaks. I don't believe for a minute he won't start hitting shots from the corner 3 any more, or at least shouldn't try. If James isn't going to give him the ball then that's just BS. If that is the case he might as well be on the bench.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's a bit weird how I keep seeing double posts from folks I know aren't doing it intentionally. A bit weird.
    That's all I've got, except for saying we need more than Rivers. That, and you can't win them all.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL @ delusional fan saying selfish ballhog Harden should have shot the ball less vs the Warriors

14. eman

eman Contributing Member

I love PJ’s hustle, effort, and glue... but.... PJ’s rebounding worries me as much as his shooting woes. He’s just too short to be a PF. We need to get taller and longer at that position. I suspect PJ would contribute more off the bench, or with fewer minutes, and fresher legs. Then, let’s hope, we’d get to see PJ sink that corner 3 and win a few more rebounds.

15. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Fixed that

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I think you are just so obsessed with your love for James that you think a one man show is the only way to win. I will never agree with the logic that one man should take 67 shots in 2 games. You say that's the only way we beat the Warriors and I say that's why we almost lost. No team that beat the Warriors all year long came close to doing it with one guy taking over 30 shots. I say we would have beat Portland if James hadn't taken 37 shots. Did you see how well we were doing when the young guys were in and we were ahead with James on the bench? The pace was up, and they were moving that ball around. Rivers was shooting at .500 from behind the arc but James just got ridiculously selfish with trying to do it all himself. You can want a one man show all you want, but I never have and never will agree that is the only way we beat good teams.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS