1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Hornets @ Rockets 11/5/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 3, 2005.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Since T-Mac isn't playing, we will not score 100 points. Defense will win us this game. It will be ugly and in the 80s. Don't be too surprised if we lose.

2. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Ryan Bowen will step up for T-mac, and dominate the game.

3. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

you mean don't be surprised if we win by 30

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

it is early but i feel this year's lineup isn't as threatening with the trey. rox seem like they'll struggle to match opposition who play that game.

cd needs to try and get players like austin croshere or james jones.

5. declan32001

declan32001 Member

6. zong

zong Member

With or without T-mac, Rockets can beat Hornets, only difference is the finally score.

Rockets:92
    Hornets:84

No free Mac for the fans.

7. poseyistheman

poseyistheman Member

I believe Tmac will play tonight but his mins may be limited. THe Rockets should and will beat the Hornets. That preseason win by the Hornets won't happen in the regular season. Rockets win 97-84 Go Rockets!!!

8. qrui

qrui Member

heard they changed the rules this year. every win at home will mean a free mac, no matter what score they get. ;)

9. zong

zong Member

Thanks for the information. I should watch more games at TC.

edit on first poster: final, not finally

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I saw on another board that tonights Hornets game will be on the Shanghai Sports Channel on PPstream.

Here's the download link to PPstream:
    http://www.ppstream.com/bin/ppstreamsetup.exe

Once you have the program setup, click this link to open up the Shanghai sports channel:
    ppstream://218.78.215.42:11011/5B2KELBQGOEN33KIUTMXB6AUH6Y3L23R

The PPstream channels isn't as high a quality as that one PPlive 800K channel, but the interface is much more user friendly. It's pretty much all in Chinese, but the layout is pretty intuitive. They have the channels on the left and the screen in the middle. And you can collapse the sides to make the screen bigger. If only they streamed at higher quality, I would use it over pplive for the rest of the games.

11. T-Mac1

T-Mac1 Contributing Member

Rox win

:D

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

OMFG BOKIMANIA 8484679 POINTS 8943873 REBOUNDS 1,000,000 FG%

Rockets win, 8484681 to 8484679 when Ryan Bowen dunks on Boki with .005 seconds left on the clock.

13. max14

max14 Member

LOL,
    dude, calm down....

14. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Thank God i get something out of this game..I mean yes leaving with a win is awsome but after paying 50 for tickets...20 for parking and like 10 for something to eat..you leave with nuttin but memories of the game...But since they changed the rules of the Big Mac thing i will be comming home with a free meal..should go good with that Texans Lost tomorrow...but maybe i should hold off until family guy/ American Dad comes on.hmmmmmmmmmmm...Man thats a hard one

15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Rockets really focus with Tracy out of the lineup and put a whooping on the Hornets. Chris Paul will have a good game, but will get at least one "welcome to the NBA" play from Yao, Deke, or Stro.

Rockets - 96
    Hornets - 81

[​IMG]

16. TigerBait

TigerBait Contributing Member

I think Rafer will have a big game assists wise since he will have the majority of the ball handling responsibilities with (supposedly) TMac out.

Rockets- 91
    Hornets- 85

#76 TigerBait, Nov 5, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think New Orleans will try to run, and thus the scoring will be higher than people think.

Rocks 102 (without McGrady)
    Hornets 89

With Tmac

Rocks 105
    Hornets 93

DD

18. rvpals

rvpals Member

With TMac out, I think Yao will step it up and take it upon himself to score more and have a new career high.

Yao 40+ points
    10+ boards
    7 assists,
    5 blocks

Juwan Howard 20 points,
    11 reb

Alston
    15 assists

Derek Anderson
    7 assists, 21 points

Luther Head
    8 assists, 19 points, 7 boards.

19. TheBear01

TheBear01 Contributing Member

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1131174773142250.xml

Andersen set to face tall order in Rockets' Yao
    Hornets out to make opposing centers run

Saturday, November 05, 2005
    By Jimmy Smith
    Staff writer

HOUSTON -- Hornets forward/center Chris Andersen is well acquainted with Houston Rockets giant Yao Ming.

During one season playing for Jiangsu Nagang of the Chinese Basketball Association, Andersen, 6 feet 10, 250 pounds, went against Yao, a Beijing native, several times and developed a game plan for undersized Americans to combat the oversized Asian legend, who was starring for the Shanghai Sharks.

"You've got to be more athletic than him," Andersen said Friday, as the Hornets prepared to venture into Southwest Division regular-season play for the first time at the Toyota Center against Yao and the Rockets.

"You've got to run him down and wear him out. Me and P.J. together are capable of doing that. Wear him down. Any big guy like that, that's really what you've got to do. Every time we play against them, that's our key. Run 'em. They use a lot of half-court stuff. If we can defend really well, it will help. If we can't, then it won't be to our advantage."

Since the Hornets traded former All-Star center Jamaal Magloire on Oct. 26, opting to expose smaller and slimmer (6-11, 239 pounds) P.J. Brown to bulkier centers such as Yao (7-6, listed conservatively as 310), Hornets coach Byron Scott realized there would be many times when mismatches would pose problems.

Brown, who opposed Yao in a preseason matchup in Oklahoma City the day after Magloire was traded and on Wednesday night went against Cleveland center Zydrunas Ilgauskas (7-3, 260), said Friday he realizes tonight's game will provide another of those physical disparities.

"If big Zydrunas was any indication, any way to prepare for Yao, I think I've got to do a good job of fronting, depending on my team defense," Brown said. "These guys are big and long, and you can't guard them one-on-one.

"You've got to pick your spots in the front, try to get up under him a little bit, try to outrun him, get up and down the floor on them. And just try to, hopefully somehow, get him in a little foul trouble."

But Scott realizes that it's possible the Rockets' half-court offense, in which the ball is often passed three to five times before someone takes a shot, could be to his team's advantage if they can dictate the pace and defensively control Yao and high-scoring forward/guard Tracy McGrady.

The more the Hornets run, the more tired Yao and his Rockets teammates could become.

"We've got to be at our best as far as our defense goes," Scott said. "If we can get them to miss some shots, and we can get our up-tempo game going, we'll be OK. But we've got to guard against Yao Ming catching it in the post, because he's too big. If you double him, he's such a great passer, and nobody you're going to double him with is going to really affect him.

"And Tracy, with side pick-and-rolls, and iso situations, we've just got to know where these guys are going to be and where we want to force them to the help. And we've got to get them into playing our type of game. If we can get it up-tempo, and get them flying up the court and get them to buy into that, to try to match basket for basket and run that way, then we could be OK."

Brown said he'll have plenty of help from his teammates when it comes to defending the post. And he's counting on Andersen, a native Texan, to come out inspired against an old nemesis.

"Bird will be fired up; he's back home in Texas," Brown said. "He likes to play against Yao Ming. So it won't just be me. It'll be me, D-West (forward David West), Birdman. It'll be defense by committee.

"We're playing small ball this year. We've got to be an up-tempo team, put pressure on the other team. We've got the athletes this year, and the talent, to play that type of game."

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

NBA Live prediction of the night:

yao has another 20-10.

DA doesn't step up as much as we hope.

rafer and Jho have big games to help us win.